Pathfinder 1E Proposal - LEW with Pathfinder Rules

Trouvere

Explorer
If you think that using what others created is laziness that's absurd.
Well, yes, I'm irritated. I apologize for my disagreement being phrased too aggressively.

However, I think you misunderstand, a little. If LEW is knocked on the head and replaced with a PF conversion, because everyone (except, obviously, me) thinks LEW 3.5 has no hope, ever, no matter what we do, then that's one thing. But if a conversion of LEW to PF is being contemplated mainly because LEW already exists, however well loved it is by those considering it, well, yes, that's certainly lazy. It can be lazy even while it's well-intentioned. And if LEW 3.5 potters on in the background, and a direct PF copy of it is begun, likewise, even more so.

I like LEW. But the setting itself evolved without much in the way of planning. It had been going for many months before El Jefe and others began the task of coordinating all the world information in the earliest adventures and reconciling it into a coherent whole. The Enworld definitely has problems as a setting for a living world. If you're going to make a switch, far better to put in the effort to design the setting from the ground up as a world that has the potential to last open-endedly, with both the potential for a continuous influx of new 1st level PCs who are still able to contribute meaningfully just as much as PCs of every other level all the way (after years of play) to 20th - and even beyond.

I don't know if what I'm alluding to as LEW's setting problems in that last sentence is quite clear, so I'll point you to a posting from 6 months ago when we were discussing LEW's slump.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Too bad we can't use the Golarion world that paizo put out. I know some of it is out on the pathfinder wiki site but I don't know how much from the setting can be used publicly. Obviously we can't repost everything in the campaign setting book, or expect every DM to own one to run something in the world.

renau1g

First Post
In the link I posted earlier Scott DeWar had a conversation with James Jacobs about it and posted the results. Unfortunately they feel it would compete with PF Societies (whatever that is)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I like the idea of creating a LPW rather than converting LEW over. Sure, pathfinder is supposed to have a lot of backwards compatibility but it may be easier to just start over.

My personal humble opinion here ... I agree with what SelcSilverhand says there. If not for the work of converting alone, then for the fact that there may be those wh would want to play 3.5 and want nothing to do with PFRPG, Just as there are those who wnat nothing to do with 4.x or EBBERON.

There might be somethings that can be 'copy/pasted such as the character creation ruls and such, the need ofr judges and the jobs of said jucges and maybe even the gods, but I think that maybe a new central location/world map is neccessary.

I had hoped to aquire permission from piazo for use as LPW, but there were possible conflicts with their pre-existing living world system. So, I summery, I think LEW should stand as is and LPW would be a new thread.

Renfield

First Post
Are you talking about creating a Living Pathfinder set in the world of Golarion? I think that would be legal so long as it was free... don't see how it would violate the community use policy if information wasn't given away for free. There was a Living Web community that was based on the Forgotten Realms some years ago. It eventually fell apart but had a pretty solid run and was incredibly organized. The supplements were permitted so long as you had them and as far as I know it didn't violate anything legally as no profit was being made from it and nothing was given out for free.

Or are you talking about converting Living En-World to the PRPG system? I think that might require something closer to a vote from those who have invested their time and creativity in making LEW what it is. I admit I'm not a part of it, I've considered but am already involved in numerous play-by-post projects as it is so I don't know if there have been problems or a large cry to bring the PRPG rules into use with the Living World so I'm sort of shooting blind.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
We got a polite no from piazo when we asked if we could use their setting.

Or are you talking about converting Living En-World to the PRPG system?

Yes that is the bases for this thread as I believe starting another Living world will be the final nail in LEW's coffin. I have wanted to breath life into LEW ever since I got back, but it seems it is more Trouvere's little house of cards. I have not heard anything from the other judges (and you usually don't once Trouvere says No).

I would be up for helping in making a new Living World (I just got the full lisences to Hexographer for map making). And I'm sure I could get all my friends to help out. What I need is for my questions
What does it take to get a Living world started mechanic wise? Who starts the main forumn and the top threads like Character Tracking, FAQ, and the like?

As for a world we could start with one city and explore/add things Wiki style. I don't think their is laziness in that aspect, just don't know what to do to get started.

To be answered.

HM

orsal

LEW Judge
I think I'm going to join the opposition to this. Looking over the SRD (I've never played Pathfinder myself) I like the game, and in most respects it's not that far removed from 3.5 to make conversion unthinkable. But there is something to be lost. The suggestion that established characters be put on hold, for a time only new characters -- well, that means sacrificing world continuity, which to me is the essence of a living world.

If you want a living Pathfinder game, I agree with the suggestion to start a new one. Heck, if I was looking to expand my RPG activity right now, I'd even join. It'd be fun to try a few of the ideas I got browsing the SRD. But I'm opposed to anything that makes established LEW characters, characters in whom long-time contributors have invested, unplayable.

So, No.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm interested in LPW. I think a conversion of existing LEW would be just too much work and frankly I'd like to be in on creating something new not just copy/pasting setting from LEW into LPW.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
You were one of the persons I was thinking of when I said I could get friends to help GE ;)

What do you think should we be brainstorming a World getting ideals like what WD posted. Where would we put a thread like that. We need to make a pantheon/map out the world/create peoples and nations.

We need a place to just throw out ideals any suggestions.

@orsal thanks for looking in but I think characters are already on hold do to no DM's. I hope when LPW is up and running you join me for a game even a quick romp through the sewers :lol:

HM

renau1g

First Post
I'd suggest the Talking the Talk thread. Not sure how you get a new thread folder set-up, but you could try PM'ing Morrus, he's a good guy so he'd tell you rules for it.

Remove ads