D&D 5E Proposed feat: Elemental Master

Elemental Master is intended to be used by my completely ridiculous PC, Flaming Helen, who tries to solve every problem by burning it with fire.

The character was a 3e warmage with the Fiery Burst reserve feat from Complete Mage and would be a draconic bloodline sorcerer in 5e.
I actually think that there is more character development potential in her learning that fire just plain doesn't work against some things, and her having to come up with alternative solutions.

Failing that, I think treating immunity as Resistance would be better. Or converting some/all of the damage into a different form. A "Holy Fire" that converts half into radiant, or "Overpressure" that converts half into bludgeoning.

Doug McCrae

Legend
An alternative solution for Flaming Helen, one entirely within the rules, would be to also learn a few cold spells, such as the cantrips Ray of Frost or Frostbite (Xanathar's Guide). These would be flavoured as sucking the heat energy out of their targets. The character could even justifiably take Elemental Adept twice - once for fire and once for cold.

Flaming Helen would still be killing everything with fire, sort of.

This is quite similar to Cadence's idea of absorbing heat energy.
Would it make sense for Flaming Helen to be able to hurt a fire elemental by drawing on the elemental as a source of power for one of her fire spells? (perhaps aiming the fire spell off to nowhere if there wasn't a better target available). I'm picturing Thor in the comics using Mjolnir to syphon energy away from villains.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
I prefer the Dresden idea...

min the Dresden files we follow Harry Dresden a wizard who has an affinity for fire (until late in the teens of books). He uses his fire magic to draw heat from things... aka doing cold damage

aco175

Legend
My brother is currently playing a cleric of flame from a 3pp. He has a power that allows him to overcome resistance, but not immunity to fire. So far it has not been a problem until they went against a fire cult. It was cool when he was able to overcome the ones with resistance and he could taunt them about his god being more powerful, but not as much when against the immune creatures. Overall it was just a few monsters with immunity, so the party was able to overcome it.

Remove ads