Proposed fix for spellcaster multiclassing

Leif

Adventurer
Not to throw too much of a monkey wrench into this discussion, but has anyone considered the kind of solution that Monte Cook's old Arcana Unearthed proposed? It's sorta like a cross between the DnD Wizard and Sorcerer. While a wizard can know, theoretically, an infinite number of spells he can only PREPARE a certain number for use each day. But, his magical potential exists each day as just open spell slots (similar to a Sorcerer), with which he can cast any PREPARED spell (NOT any known spell) of that level or lower. (I may be making up the "or lower" part, but it makes sense to me.) This adds another layer into the equation: Spells known, spells prepared, and spells cast. I think it's kinda nifty.

So, a wizard could prepare some fun, useful utility spells, but if a combat he is in lasts longer than anticipated, he could theoretically burn all of his slots on offensive *bang, bang* spells, instead of being forced to try to use Comprehend Languages to kill a monster.

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
While a wizard can know, theoretically, an infinite number of spells he can only PREPARE a certain number for use each day. But, his magical potential exists each day as just open spell slots (similar to a Sorcerer), with which he can cast any PREPARED spell (NOT any known spell) of that level or lower.
This is part of Wulf's suggested method.

Leif

Adventurer
Ooops, I guess that's what I get for trying to jump into the conversation this late. Pardon my repetition, then.

But, you said, "part of his solution." May I ask what the rest of the solution is, or should I go diving through the thread to locate it for myself?

Remove ads