proposed idea for stat generation. Is this too big a can of worms?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Sravoff said:
That is a very good point. Just as in life, you must take the good with the bad. o if they want all 18's, they may ahve them.

thanks Auraseer, you may have saved my campaign. :heh:
I'm not saying you have to give them anything they want. Obviously there must be limits. What I am saying is it's not fair to make the players guess at what the limits are.

Aus_Snow

First Post
It's all pretty unpredictable, unless you use arrays or point-buy.

For example, recently I've been offering 32 point-buy or the standard rolling method, as per the PHB. First player up, they choose to roll :uhoh:, and get the equivalent of 46 point-buy. :]

Insisting that players choose their characters' ability scores is only a good idea if you know your players really well, and can trust them to be mature, responsible adults. If so, it's a great method.

Ultimately, point-buy would be my favourite though. You can't get fairer than that, in one sense anyway.

runtime

First Post
How about stat trading? Each player rolls "4d6 drop 1" for their abilities in order (old school style). Then let the players trade scored abilities (not just the raw number) amongst themselves.

Hodgie

First Post
The "pick what you like" method has another glaring flaw. When someone dies, it is pretty clear where the line is. The best stats currently in play are acceptable stats. So if a player goes a point or two higher than the best stats in play, do you kill them? Probably not. Now you have a new set of best stats in play. Someone else dies, rinse and repeat. Eventually you have to kill someone for having too good of stats, and then the anger sets in.

Nyaricus

First Post
runtime said:
How about stat trading? Each player rolls "4d6 drop 1" for their abilities in order (old school style). Then let the players trade scored abilities (not just the raw number) amongst themselves.
ooo I will have to add that into my favourites . . .that's an awesome addition!!

Crothian

First Post
Just let the players pick their abilities scores. Have them all get together so they pick scores about the same so no one seems weak or strong.

Imperialus

Explorer
Well my group is relatively mature and we always have a collective "character generating" session so people will be able to get an idea of the relative power level of everyone else. As for the rocks falling, I was being somewhat facetious. I wouldn't let unballanced charcaters make it to the game itself so killing them would be un-nessesary.

Emirikol

Adventurer
It may be wiser just to tell them to use a 34 or 36 point buy system. Just my experience...

You could also do online dice-rolling. There's anonymous dice rollers that will email you, the DM the numbers.

If you wanted to make it really interesting, you'd have them make two, 3d6, assigned-in-order characters.

jh

Remove ads