• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pros and Cons of Epic Level Play?

pemerton

Legend
To me, we are still dealing with similar structures.
Can you please explain the similarities. I linked to two posts setting out actual play examples. Those two posts don't exhaust either arc of play, but even within their confined scope I'd be interested to learn what the similiarities are.

I also mentioned two novels - LotR and The Quiet American - both of which concern freeing a land/people from a malevolent infuence. In what way do they resemble one another in structure?

Furthermore, what role does structure play in the overall experience of a story, if plot elements and themes are different?

Celebrim suggests they seem very similar "particularly if both principally involve defeating a powerful enemy in single combat."
Was [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION] even talking about my posts, or about your paraphrase?

Now, both examples of the written word you selected involve success that cannot be achieved by beating someone up in physical combat. There is never a physical confrontation with Sauron, nor can a nation be freed from foreign influence by a gladiatorial match between Nation X and Nation Y, or their representatives.
LotR involves multiple physical confrontations with powerful enemies in single combat (the Witch King, the Balrog, Shelob, to name a few). And I can assure you that The Quiet American most definitely involves physical confronation with a particular individual as its dramatic climax.

I think Celebrim makes the strong point that, in D&D (as in most RPG's), we solve problems by direct application of violence.

<snip>

The prospect of victory gained by anything but beating the bad guy in physical combat is pretty much a foreign concept in RPG's.
And? How does this prove any strong resemblance of plot or of structure? Superheores solve problems by direct application of violence. That doesn't make all superheroic comics, or movies, identical. (Contrast, say, the Avengers with X-Men 2.)

I'm also curious as to which RPGs you have in mind? Not all are based on adventure fiction. Even in D&D it is not unheard of to resolve conflicts by way of negotiation. (For instance, that is how the PCs in my 4e game escaped the Shrine of the Kuo-toa and dealt with Blibdoolpoolp. It is also how they survived their encounter with Kas.)

Knowledge skills? Those are to better locate the baddie so we can beat him up, and to know his abilities and weaknesses to beat him up more effectively. Diplomacy? That's for persuading people to tell us where the baddie is and how better to beat him up, maybe even to have an ally when we administer that beating.
negotiation, puzzle solving, moral choices or application of knowledge gained rarely, if ever, seems to be the focus of an adventure's climax, nor the suggested one, in my experience.
I'm losing track of whose game you're describing. I also don't really see what bearing this has on the pros and cons of epic level play.

Balesir

Adventurer
My 4E game is just getting traction on its Epic path/stage, and what so far seems to me to sum up the difference between this and earlier play is resolution.

This applies in two ways. The first is the "ultimate bad guy" way discussed already at length. The second is in terms of the player characters themselves.

All the PCs have made choices through the campaign that have implications that, while they might have seemed distant at the time the choice was made, need resolution now. 4E itself helps, here, because the Epic Destinies themselves seem to me to imply a need for resolutions to enable the transition to immortality. That's not to say that, as [MENTION=336]D'karr[/MENTION] suggested, you couldn't, for example, have a shiny new Exalted Angel of Bahamut pitch up on Bahamut's doorstep after reaching 30th level and say "Er, hi - I just got to L30 and have all the prereqs, so I've come to take up the vacant 'Exalted Angel' position" - but the name and nature of the Epic Destiny cry out for something more.

So, in my current game:

- The Warlock has made not one but two pacts in return for power and abilities. To become an Archfey (as desired), these pacts must be negotiated out of in some way. And then a position amongst the existing Fey Courtiers must be established.

- The Rogue's spouse having disappeared was the original reason the character left home. So far it is clear that they got into trouble with a debt, bargained their soul for remission and have since got involved in various soul-stealing/redirecting capers by Powers That Be. By the time all this is sorted out, the rogue will not only be a Demigod - they will likely have something to be a Demigod of!

- The Goddess of Death has, by the laws of the universe, ultimate rights over the final disposition of all mortal souls. Other gods may request exceptions, of course, and powerful souls require a certain care in handling. Nevertheless, those who desire immortality ought, to be safe, to arrange the petitioning of Death for relief of this claim in person. They will, in general, need to provide Death with a reason to aquiesce to this petition...

All in all, the characters are being, quite naturally, pulled into the politics and society of the Gods, Powers and Primordials that they hope eventually to join. They are moving from one community to another (rather unusual) one; part of the play will be them finding their place in this new community.

Of course, you could say that a "move to a new society" theme could be done at any level. That seems to me simply to beg the question of what we want "level" to mean, but that's another topic. The transition to an eternal society, though, seems like a good "capstone" theme for the end of a campaign.

Celebrim

Legend
I don't even know where this is coming from.

Ok.

The LotR is a story about (among other things) freeing the world from the influence of evil.

Well, while the LotR story is an epic in the literary sense, it is not epic in the D&D sense. In D&D terms, LotR is the story of a quest by heroic tier characters to overcome an epic tier foe, with the occasionally aid and advice of a paragon tier guide. That's one of the reasons why at the end of the story, the heroic tier protagonists are given a heroic tier foe (bandits) in order to shine. But, I think it's very very important to note that the methodology that they use to overcome the bandits is low paragon tier. They don't spend much time actually fighting the bad guys - the Scouring of the Shire is primarily a social/ethical challenge. In fact, Frodo - the highest level character of the bunch - doesn't even bother to enter melee combat, and passes on combat with the BBEG - preferring to beat him in what is essentially a social challenge. Frodo has gotten so powerful he can kill the heroic tier opponents with diplomacy alone, and his primary interest in play at that point is in the ethics of war because by this point in the campaign, getting out the battle mat for another skirmish is just passe.

But ultimately, the LoTR is NOT about freeing the world from the influence evil. The Scouring of the Shire shows that despite the death of the Dark Lord, that hasn't happened. The LoTR 'campaign' was actually on the theme of mercy, and its important to note that the climaxes don't involve personal combat. The paragon tier Balrog is killed by an NPC off stage. The near paragon tier Witch King's death is mostly a climatic encounter with an NPC and only one PC in a supporting role.

The notion that we can categorise stories as similar or different based on whether or not they can be brought under such a generic schema as "Save an X" or "Free a Y from a Z" is pretty foreign for me. Nearly every story which involves some form of resolution of adversity will be able to be brought under one or both schema.

While I agree, you are the one who introduced the generic schema here, and I think it's probably pretty applicable. The scale and approach of the 'Killing the Ogre that threatens the Town' and 'Killing the Orcus that threatens the world' are basically the same. Orcus and the Ogre are both in rooms, and the party wins by defeating them in mortal combat. The story of both is the story of the PC's superior might of arms.

So far as I'm concerned, neither has left the heroic tier. You've just gotten bigger numbers, bigger rooms, and bigger foes. But the story hasn't hit a new plateau in scope, particularly not in the sense that BECMI tried to show the growth and change in focus as the players levelled up so that campaigns within each had a very definate and distinctive feel to them.

I've only played one campaign into what I'd consider paragon tier territory. It was 1e, and the party was pretty much twinked out to the max, had a bit of monte haul treasure (DM's first campaign), and we hit a point shortly after name level where we weren't really threatened by anything in the monster manual. We did this one session where the DM basically threw the monster manual at us in wandering encounters - rocs, turtle dragons, etc. - and everyone was a little bored and uncomfortable. The next session, the campaign completely changed. The DM realized that the old tactical battle problems weren't going to sustain the campaign, and so we changed from a campaign were the main stakes were personal survival and acquisition of treasure to the main stakes where growth in our political influence and survival of our retainers, hirelings, and other NPCs that had given their allegiance and trust to us. The campaign moved from a tactical to a strategic level, became much more about diplomacy and ethics, and when we did have tactics, it wasnt' an issue of us against a few monsters, but clashes of whole nations with 1000's of combatants on a side.

And even that isn't yet to epic tier IMO. Until the quest involves nothing less than changing the actual rules of the game system, you aren't yet epic tier.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
you are the one who introduced the generic schema here
No. I used a turn of phrase to illustrate the change in stakes that I regard as typical of the transition between tiers.

I could just as easily describe the defeat of Torog as unleashing the elemental chaos upon the world; or releasing the primordials from their chains. I could just as easily describe defeating the baron's evil advisor as defeating the PCs' nemesis of over 10 levels.
[MENTION=6681948]N'raac[/MENTION] decided to treat my turn of phrase as a schema.

we changed from a campaign were the main stakes were personal survival and acquisition of treasure to the main stakes where growth in our political influence and survival of our retainers, hirelings, and other NPCs that had given their allegiance and trust to them. The campaign moved from a tactical to a strategic level, became much more about diplomacy and ethics, and when we did have tactics, it wasnt' an issue of us against a few monsters, but clashes of whole nations with 1000's of combatants on a side.

And even that isn't yet to epic tier IMO. Until the quest involves nothing less than changing the actual rules of the game system, you aren't yet epic tier.
I personally don't see the connection between epic fiction and such metagame matters as changing the rules of the game system. I also personally don't see why paragon tier campaigning must involve the abandonment of personal involvement. In the Earthsea trilogy Ged is a personal participant in each adventure. That does not mean that the fight with the Kargs in his village, the struggle with the Nameless Ones in Atuan, and the struggle to leave the dry lands with no magic to aid him, are all heroic tier.

A preference for national strategy over personal tactics as the focus of "serious" play strikes me as having little to do with the issue of tier. Likewise "diplomacy and ethics" - there is no reason why a low-level game cannot be framed in such terms.

Celebrim

Legend
No. I used a turn of phrase to illustrate the change in stakes that I regard as typical of the transition between tiers.

I could just as easily describe the defeat of Torog as unleashing the elemental chaos upon the world; or releasing the primordials from their chains. I could just as easily describe defeating the baron's evil advisor as defeating the PCs' nemesis of over 10 levels.

I really have no interest in how the flavor is described. I don't think is is relevant to determining the tier of the campaign. In a simplified model of what I mean, it would have been possible using the red box basic rules to have a dungeon that was 'flavored' as by being 'outside' in that the rooms where clearings in the trees and the corridors trails in the forest floor. But this wouldn't have made it a 'Wilderness Adventure' in Expert rules set terms, because the Expert rules weren't in play. If you made the trails miles long and rooms bigger, it's still just a glorified Basic rules campaign.

If you describe the defeat of Torog as, "unleashing elemental chaos upon the world", and this just means that the next encounter is a room flavored somehow with a elemental monster, its just more dungeon crawling with flavor.

I personally don't see the connection between epic fiction and such metagame matters as changing the rules of the game system. I also personally don't see why paragon tier campaigning must involve the abandonment of personal involvement.

I know you don't. But we have a fundamental disagreement about what it should mean to change tiers. In 4e I believe that it means to change very little. In the same way that if you play Diablo II, the various tiers up to Hell Difficulty basically play the same with perhaps bigger numbers and a few more options, 4e has 'math that works' (or tried to at least) that keeps everything playing much the same with perhaps bigger numbers and a few more options. But fundamentally how you relate to the game doesn't change and isn't expected to.

Someone mentioned the 3.0 Wyre campaign as a good example of what epic play ought to be like. I largely agree. Some of the issues in the 3.0 Wyre campaign are: "The very definition of lawful good is changing. The PC's are to determine what the should change too.", "The setting is changing from a basically monotheistic setting, to a basically polytheistic setting. The PC's should be at the heart of determing what the new society should be like.", "The summoning school of magic is being defacto removed from all wizards on the planet." These aren't mere changes in flavor. This a total change in perspective about how the PC's relate to the game. At this point, what's at stake is basically the rules of the setting. An equivalent stake would be something like revealing, obviously more artfully than this, "You guys just killed Torog. All spells/powers with the Fire descriptor have just been removed from the abilities of all mortals everywhere. No one anywhere can use fire magic."

An equivalent situation in say the Robert Jordan books is when Rand cleanses the taint from Saidin. Suddenly, male wizards all over the world can use magic without being evil or insane. That's epic. That's meaningful. Fighting a monster with more HD is not epic.

In the Earthsea trilogy Ged is a personal participant in each adventure. That does not mean that the fight with the Kargs in his village, the struggle with the Nameless Ones in Atuan, and the struggle to leave the dry lands with no magic to aid him, are all heroic tier.

It's been a long time since I read Earthsea and I didn't like it much, but why not?

A preference for national strategy over personal tactics as the focus of "serious" play strikes me as having little to do with the issue of tier. Likewise "diplomacy and ethics" - there is no reason why a low-level game cannot be framed in such terms.

Sure. Social challenges and ethical issues are certainly the province of the heroic tier as well, just as the epic tier can have tactical combat.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

Indeed. Towards the end of my last D&D campaign, the fate of the Material Plane hung on player choice and PC success. It could be cut off from the outer planes and consumed, converted into a Dark Sun environment with one PC catapulted into the ranks of the Sorcerer Kings, or saved in its current form. The players chose the latter and actually succeeded in their quest.

All without a final BBEG fight.

Aenghus

Explorer
While using entirely different rules for different tiers of D&D is a valid approach, I don't think it's required by any means. I find the slow accretion of rules systems relevant to the current campaign activities ( if needed) works better for my purposes. Campaign transformations risk losing the interest of some players, as they may ( or may not) reengage the interest of those disaffected with the original campaign style. I would never drastically transform a campaign without a lot of consultation with those involved.

Yes, maintaining a similar style of play over a long time can artificially constrain the viable plot lines, but if that's what everyone involved wants it's fine. Action movies allow the protagonists to solve problems with muscular action, and depending on how well this is done the fans of such movies accept the plot limitations required (it's subjective when a plot becomes too dumb to stand). My feeling is that domain management and large scale D&D wargames have a limited appeal - the rules in these areas tend to be poorly playtested and incoherent across the various editions of D&D.

I do think it's possible to provide a qualitatively different experience to the players at each tier without drastically changing the rules, by changing the metagame and establishing viable expectations for that tier of the game by good communication.

Epic play in 4e never matured and we lack good printed examples from adventures - but I can clearly see written between the lines of epic destinies and DMG advice, that 4e epic PCs increasingly transcend the non-combat rules as they rise in epic levels. Epic PCs could be able to steal concepts, go anywhere, mock death, cleave through mountains. These sorts of activities are so idiosyncratic, so personal that IMO they are the epitome of a rulings not rules sort of thing, (which is paradoxical for me as I love my clear black and white rules).

IMO there is no automatic one-to-one correlation between the game rules used and the scale of plots being used- I do believe rules matter, for issues pertaining to rules, but there are always many elements of a game which don't depend on rules.

Celebrim

Legend
Yes, maintaining a similar style of play over a long time can artificially constrain the viable plot lines, but if that's what everyone involved wants it's fine.

By no means am I suggesting that is wrong to play for 30 levels and the PC's never alter their relationship to the world if that is what everyone wants. There is something very old school about that, and I'm ok with it.

I'm just saying that as I understand the issue of 'tiers of play', the fact that you are 30th level and your foe is a demigod really has nothing to do with it.

I do think it's possible to provide a qualitatively different experience to the players at each tier without drastically changing the rules, by changing the metagame and establishing viable expectations for that tier of the game by good communication.

While I agree, it's not the rules that are changing the most per se. It's how you think about the game. How you think about and how you approach the game is vastly more important than the rules. What changed in the 1e campaign I mentioned wasn't the rules, but the perspective. The PC's relationship to the world changed, and it created a completely new sort of D&D using basically the same rules we'd had all along.

Epic play in 4e never matured and we lack good printed examples from adventures - but I can clearly see written between the lines of epic destinies and DMG advice, that 4e epic PCs increasingly transcend the non-combat rules as they rise in epic levels. Epic PCs could be able to steal concepts, go anywhere, mock death, cleave through mountains. These sorts of activities are so idiosyncratic, so personal that IMO they are the epitome of a rulings not rules sort of thing, (which is paradoxical for me as I love my clear black and white rules).

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that since I'm so dismissive of 4e as a whole that I think they got everything wrong. In fact, I think 4e did many interesting things - some of which have informed my own house rules. Epic destinies in many ways are on the right path - far more so than the 3.X Epic Handbook was. But you are right that 4e never really matured to the point that Epic play really was provided for by example. Nor for that matter was it well playtested initially.

...but there are always many elements of a game which don't depend on rules.

I don't know anyone that believes this more strongly than I do. I believe in it so much I've codified it:

Celebrim's Second Law of RPG's, "How you think about playing a system is more important than the rules system itself."

pemerton

Legend
I really have no interest in how the flavor is described. I don't think is is relevant to determining the tier of the campaign. In a simplified model of what I mean, it would have been possible using the red box basic rules to have a dungeon that was 'flavored' as by being 'outside' in that the rooms where clearings in the trees and the corridors trails in the forest floor. But this wouldn't have made it a 'Wilderness Adventure' in Expert rules set terms, because the Expert rules weren't in play. If you made the trails miles long and rooms bigger, it's still just a glorified Basic rules campaign.
You seem to be treating flavour as mere colour. I don't see why it should be treated that way. For instance, a 1st level Basic D&D PC cannot move through, or break down, a dungeon wall (at least, not deploying the standard resources of that system, including typical tools in typical ingame timeframes). Yet such a PC can clearly move through a forest, or for that matter burn it down. So unless the GM is in some way stipulating that such actions are impossible (I believe this is [MENTION=2067]Kamikaze Midget[/MENTION]'s "wrought iron fence made of tigers"), the dynamics of the "Basic" wilderness adventure should be extremely different from those of the Basic dungeon adventure.

All the Expert ruleset adds is monsters with bigger numbers, and rules for wilderness evasion, getting lost and sailing in boats. None of the last three is really that crucial (for instance, evasion could be handled by application of the Basic rules, and getting lost could be handled under the same mapping procedures as are used in Basic).

If you describe the defeat of Torog as, "unleashing elemental chaos upon the world", and this just means that the next encounter is a room flavored somehow with a elemental monster, its just more dungeon crawling with flavor.
OK. And this has what bearing on any actual example of Epic play being discussed in this thread? Who is even talking about dungeon crawling?

if you play Diablo II, the various tiers up to Hell Difficulty basically play the same with perhaps bigger numbers and a few more options, 4e has 'math that works' (or tried to at least) that keeps everything playing much the same with perhaps bigger numbers and a few more options. But fundamentally how you relate to the game doesn't change and isn't expected to.
What do you mean "the way you relate to the game doesn't change"?

For instance, to refer to your example:

"The very definition of lawful good is changing. The PC's are to determine what the should change too.", "The setting is changing from a basically monotheistic setting, to a basically polytheistic setting. The PC's should be at the heart of determing what the new society should be like.", "The summoning school of magic is being defacto removed from all wizards on the planet." These aren't mere changes in flavor. This a total change in perspective about how the PC's relate to the game.
Why are these any more epic than, say, "The world is on the cusp of a new Dusk War, in which the world may be undone (and perhaps rebuilt) by elemental chaos, or rendered into perfect stasis by construction of the Lattice of Heaven, or [insert whatever other possible outcomes are salient to the campaign in question], and the players - via their PCs - will determine which outcome eventuates"?

At this point, what's at stake is basically the rules of the setting.
Upthread you talked about "the rules of the game system". Now you're talking about "the rules of the setting". These are different things, as is shown by the fact that a transition of the world from monotheism to polytheism clearly doesn't require any change in the mechanics (eg the 3E DDG offers the rules to handle both forms of cosmology, and clearly could be used to manage the mechanical aspects of transition from one to the other; 4e doesn't really use mechanics to handle its cosmology at least in this particular respect, and likewise therefore could handle the transition described without any changes to the rules of the game system).

An equivalent stake would be something like revealing, obviously more artfully than this, "You guys just killed Torog. All spells/powers with the Fire descriptor have just been removed from the abilities of all mortals everywhere. No one anywhere can use fire magic."
I personally don't understand why that is more epic than "You just killed Torog. Now the elemental chaos is not being held back from the underdark, and hence the world is threatened with dissolution." Or "You just killed Torog. Now that the god of chains is dead, the chained primordials will be bursting free." That is, I don't see why "access to fire magic" - or even "access to fire", which in my view would be considerably more interesting - is a higher, deeper or richer stake than the dissolution of the world's order.

it's not the rules that are changing the most per se. It's how you think about the game. How you think about and how you approach the game is vastly more important than the rules.
To some extent I don't disagree with this. But I think that the attitude you seem to associate with epic play - for instance, that the players via their PCs are responsible for driving the game and making fundamental choices - is something that I favour as part of play at all tiers.

For instance, at Heroic tier the players - via their PCs - wouldn't be driving the transformation of the world from monotheistic to polytheistic. But they might be driving some comparably significant change in their local situation, for instance by negotiating a resolution to a dispute that has riven a community.

By no means am I suggesting that is wrong to play for 30 levels and the PC's never alter their relationship to the world if that is what everyone wants.

<snip>

I'm just saying that as I understand the issue of 'tiers of play', the fact that you are 30th level and your foe is a demigod really has nothing to do with it.
Fighting a monster with more HD is not epic.
Who asserted otherwise? The whole point that was made, by myself and other posters, is that epic is not about bigger numbers but about changing scope of the story.

Towards the end of my last D&D campaign, the fate of the Material Plane hung on player choice and PC success. It could be cut off from the outer planes and consumed, converted into a Dark Sun environment with one PC catapulted into the ranks of the Sorcerer Kings, or saved in its current form. The players chose the latter and actually succeeded in their quest.

All without a final BBEG fight.
I don't see how this is radically different from the Dusk War scenario I describe earlier in this post, such that one is "epic" and the other not.

I'm also not sure what difference the presence or absence of a fight makes. D&D in general has more robust action resolution mechanics for combat than for other conflicts (though I find that 4e narrows this gap), so it is natural enough to look to the combat rules to introduce tension and dynamism into a situation. But in one of the posts I linked to upthread, the freeing of the Baron from the influence of his advisor took the form of a social skill challenge, not a combat.

As I recall, your players goaded the evil advisor into attacking them so they could justify defeating him in physical combat.
The players goaded the advisor into attacking them so that his true colours would be revealed to the Baron. That is how they freed the baron from his influence - in mechanical terms it was a skill challenge, not a combat.

Their subsequent battle with the advisor mattered too - it meant that he was no longer a threat, and also that the hobgoblin armies he was leading would suffer from a loss of leadership. It also enabled them to have free run of his rooms and libraries. But that battle happened after they had freed the baron from his influence.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
You seem to be treating flavour as mere colour. I don't see why it should be treated that way.

Because by definition, that's what it is.

For instance, a 1st level Basic D&D PC cannot move through, or break down, a dungeon wall (at least, not deploying the standard resources of that system, including typical tools in typical ingame timeframes). Yet such a PC can clearly move through a forest, or for that matter burn it down.

Yes, but, so? The point is that however they choose to move, you hard scene frame them to the next room of the forest. The scenario is similar to an adventure game where however you go left from one screen, you still arrive at the same screen. However the move, you treat them as if they were 'in the corridor' between rooms. This is in practice a very common technique. I've observed DMs run campaigns that had a single room in the entire game world, what you might call 'the stage', and whenever the party moved they just changed the drapes and brought new players on stage. Every movement in the game was simply a hard scene frame where the players declared their intention to change the scene. It's not bad, I do it myself at times for urban adventures where a map would be too large and too complex to use. Running a 'wilderness' as I described is only one step up from that.

I another thread I talk about how I don't yet have good rules for burning down things of any size or scale. Yet recently this happened in my game anyway. How did I do it? Fundamentally I just changed the drapes. Since there was no need to interact with the fire, it didn't matter. A forest fire also need not have any meaning for the story. Maybe I'd have some NPC now go, "You ruined my drapes, you vandals!" (in so many words), but that's about it.

What do you mean "the way you relate to the game doesn't change"?

Back to my example of the 1e campaign, prior to the change to the paragon paradigm we related to the world primarily as heroes. We spent our time doing heroic things, like going on quests, facing monsters, defeating evil foes, and rescuing the innocent. When the campaign changed it caused us to change the way we were looking at things. At first we kept trying to do heroic things when they came up, but we soon realized that not only was it usually a waste of our time, but it was unnecessary and kept us from our ever mounting list of more important duties. We weren't heroes any more. We were rulers; we had heroes. So instead, our henchmen and retainers were sent to do heroic things, and the reported back to us. They were our scouts and agents, and we only needed to step in personally when they reported that things were over their heads. So the main campaign became mostly about ruling, directing, and so forth, and when we were dungeon crawling or questing as a break from the main action it was often us playing a party of our main PC's henchmen. We had become those important NPC's that earlier in our career had been sending us out on missions, and we knew then why they weren't doing it themselves. They were fighting larger wars, often several at once, arranging grand alliances, and seeing to the needs of the literally 1000's of NPCs whose life, health and prosperity depended on them. Battlesystem and mass naval combat rules (which we had to invent) were more important to our main NPCs than dungeons. We counted retainers among our most important treasures. Victory was less about preserving our lives than it was keeping NPCs alive. Our characters started having marriages and children. Our character sheets included maps of the castles and other properties we owned - we didn't invade 'dungeons' nearly as often as we defended them! Our perspective had changed. It was a campaign unlike anything I'd played before or since. Sure, you could do this sort of high political game at any level. But it became the game we needed to play at a particular level, pushed in that direction by the rules (if in a primative way) by the rules regarding strongholds and henchmen.

I had been forced to leave it before it before the campaign did end or wind down, but I understand by the end of it at where the characters were 16th-18th level, it had grown to where it involved a magical 'nuclear' interplanetary war with fleets of flying ships of the line bombing flying cities. Had the campaign continued much past that point, I suspect that it would have needed to grow again. Perspective would have shifted. We weren't rulers anymore. We were demi-gods; we had rulers. You can see that shift occur near the beginning of the Wyre story hour.

For many campaigns, the way you relate to the game world doesn't change. As you get more powerful, you foes become more powerful, but the fundamental challenges you face and the methodology for facing them doesn't change. The day to day conduct of the game or the metagame doesn't change. I see absolutely no sign in 4e that its expected to.

Why are these any more epic than, say, "The world is on the cusp of a new Dusk War, in which the world may be undone (and perhaps rebuilt) by elemental chaos, or rendered into perfect stasis by construction of the Lattice of Heaven, or [insert whatever other possible outcomes are salient to the campaign in question], and the players - via their PCs - will determine which outcome eventuates"?

Because in general, when you are at lower than the epic tier, you are determining how the world will change only in the negative or in a reactive way. That is to say, "The world changes" is generally defined in some way as defeat enacted on the PCs by someone else - undone by elemental chaos, rendered in perfect stasis by law. These are changes to the world being driven by some truly epic being, and the role to the PC's is generally to just stop them in some fashion. This can be seen in the current campaign I'm running. My protagonists are currently heroic tier (6th-7th level, with a couple having political rank 3 on my scale of 1-10). Thier quest is to stop a 17th level necromancer from doing something (exactly what they don't yet understand because they are still locked in their survival oriented view of the world). But the 17th level necromancer is epic tier. His quest is to change the rules of the world and the game, which is epic. If he suceeds, I'll have to write new house rules for the setting (which in this case would be the same as new options in the system). But the option of making new rules for the setting is currently something that the PCs (or players!) haven't even thought to aspire to. All they are aspiring to is to prevent change from happening (and stay alive doing it). That's not epic... yet. I have built in possibilities of the PCs going epic once they realize they can.

And in practice those changes you talk about never really happen, because either the PCs 'win' or the game doesn't continue. Rarely do you see a campaign written with the PC's trying to bring about a new meaningful change in the world rather than stop it.

Upthread you talked about "the rules of the game system". Now you're talking about "the rules of the setting". These are different things...

Yes, I know, but they shade off into each other. A change to the game world like, "No pure blood elves.", or "No clerics.", constitutes a change to the setting. Exactly where that starts to become clearly a change to the system as well isn't clear, but I think at some point it clear is both. The point is that the change is large and tangible and meaningful.

I personally don't understand why that is more epic than "You just killed Torog. Now the elemental chaos is not being held back from the underdark, and hence the world is threatened with dissolution."

a) What you just described is just flavor; what I described wasn't just flavor.
b) What I described meant the players had been the active agent. What you just described just means that the players are again in the reactive role - trying to stop something rather than do something.
c) What I just described involes a tangible change with immediate impact. What you just described means nothing. The world is always 'threatened with dissolution'... in the background, as a drapery, as a trope to move the action and give it the illusion of urgency. Nothing is actually happening. Now, if instead of 'threatened with dissolution', the setting acquired a new rule - "Any object which is left unattended by a sentient being must make a Fort save every 24 hours or disentigrate", and as a result you actually had the world disolving and the players had to arrange elementals to watch them sleep lest they wake up in an empty abyss, that might be epic.

To some extent I don't disagree with this. But I think that the attitude you seem to associate with epic play - for instance, that the players via their PCs are responsible for driving the game and making fundamental choices - is something that I favour as part of play at all tiers.

No. That's your words and your understanding of what I'm saying. The PC's are always the protagonists regardless of tier and are always driving the game. What changes isn't merely that the PC's more and more drive not just the game but the whole setting, though that is important too, but thier perspective on it.

The whole point that was made, by myself and other posters, is that epic is not about bigger numbers but about changing scope of the story.

While I agree, I think that changing scope where scope only means the drapes is probably even less interesting and less important than changing the numbers. You can see changing numbers but not scope in something like the 70th level wolves and bears in World of Warcraft. But changing the bear model out for a demigod model doesn't make it for anything more than changes in the flavor. It's the illusion of scope - nothing in WoW actually has scope except the developers (and can't because its a persistant multiplayer world, so all PC driven changes are meaningless). Taking that further, if I take a 5HD Ogre Magi, change his club to the wand of death, change him to appear to be Orcus, change his lair to a bone palace in the Abyss, and then have the players invade the bone palace to defeat Orcus and save the world, the scope and scale hasn't really increased any more than if I had made the Ogre Magi 30HD. It's changing the drapes on the room. If I do both, 30HD orcus in a bone palace, I still haven't really done anything meanful.

In Queen of the Demon Web pits, you kinda can see the attempt to change the scope and scale for real, but they don't really succeed. Ultimately, it's just a dungeon crawl and the elements with potential are left to the DM to develop.

You see the same problem again in Temple of Elemental Evil. There is room for more scope and scale in the Elemental Nodes, but in actual fact, they are left only as simplistic dungeon crawls. Both and Q1 end up being completely unsatisfying to me, as you can see from the threads where I suggest how to rewrite them.

Now, Chronicles of the Dragonlance actually does change scope and scale - from Heroic to Paragon. It's got problems and is very difficult to run well, but it has scope.

Most of the adventure paths I've read by Pazio, while in many ways quite good, don't change scope (much). Ironicly or not, maybe the one that comes closest is the one that they wrote for evil PCs, though admittedly I haven't read Kingmaker so I can't judge.

Last edited:

Remove ads