• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pros and Cons of Epic Level Play?

Celebrim

Legend
Interestingly (to me, at least), it seems many of those fundamental differences might reasonably be divorced from the levels of the characters. 27th level characters could continue adventures in the Heroic tier, with bigger numbers, and L6 characters might nonetheless have Epic adventures, depending on what factors we are using to define each tier. @Celebrim can likely provide better commentary than mine, but I think this is some of what he is driving at - if it's just a difference between +1 to hit and 1d8 damage against an opponent with AC 15 and 12 hp, and +21 to hit, 4d8 + 48 damage against an enemy with AC 35 and 224 hp, that's not enough of a difference - not even close - to justify calling it "a different tier". I'm no 4e expert, but every level having a set level of damage done in various circumstances, DC of challenges, etc. seems to suggest that "more of the same with bigger numbers" is a primary driver.

I basically agree. I've seen some attempts lately in OSR to go fully 'epic' from level 1 on. It's not fully convincing to me because I think you need to build some relationships to the setting before doing that can be meaningful, but certainly the ideas driving the adventure were not that epic meant bigger numbers. And rules sets like E6 were built on the premise that they wanted 'epic' play in D&D, without the need to deal with the fiddly complexity and lack of balance typically seen in high level D&D play. Fourth edition with its skill check DC's set by party level, and its 'fixed math' was built explicitly to keep the gameplay and character relationship to the world the same from level 1 to level 30. There are positive sides to that; like E6 it is trying to avoid the fiddliness, slow play and lack of imbalance of high level play seen in earlier editions. But the negative side of that for me is that it seemed to have lost sight of this notion of character perspective on and relationship with the world changing as the character advanced in level that was implicit or even explicit in earlier editions like BECMI or AD&D. That notion was somewhat lost in 3e (note the rise of the heroic Adventure Path where the monsters CR rising is the main differentiation between the modules), and I think fully lost in 4e. If you compare a 3e or 4e adventure path, to one from the mid-1st edition era or even 2e, you'll see real shifts in how things play. Chronicles of the Dragon Lance modules for instance involve lots of Battlesystem play, and lots of politics and character growth (in a non-numeric way) as a major component of play. A 3e or 4e adventure path on the other hand, is much closer in structure to early hack and slash along the lines of GDQ. For me, it feels like you level up, but nothing really changes.

Maybe a Heroic character should be seriously challenged by a burning building, and an Epic character should find this trivial, rather than just applying damage from a burning building appropriate to the level of the character. "Well, yes, when you rescued your mentor from a burning building WAY back at 1st level, fire only did 1d6 damage, but you're now 21st level, so a burning building burns hotter and now does 3d8+60 damage. The fire and the building gain 20 levels right along with you."

That's WoW mentality. IF that sort of thing happened, then it suggests that the numbers changing is entirely metagame and has no meaning in the game world at all. And yes, to a certain extent 4e seems to me to actually embrace that, although Pemerton will likely (rightly) point out that in 4e the DM is supposed to handle that by changing the flavor of the two scenarios.

But my problems with the diminishment of evolving gameplay goes deeper than that.

N'raac

First Post
That's WoW mentality. IF that sort of thing happened, then it suggests that the numbers changing is entirely metagame and has no meaning in the game world at all. And yes, to a certain extent 4e seems to me to actually embrace that, although Pemerton will likely (rightly) point out that in 4e the DM is supposed to handle that by changing the flavor of the two scenarios.

Whenever I see reference to "level appropriate damage", I see the same videogame mentality. What would be so wrong with that L15, or L25, character walking into the burning building and emerging with the rescued children, unharmed and barely sweating, to the awe of onlookers? He's not at all challenged, but it sends the message just how far he has moved beyond the masses - far more effectively, IMO, than in having him take "level-appropriate damage" that should have reduced anyone else near the fire to ash based on their hp.

Aenghus

Explorer
Maybe a Heroic character should be seriously challenged by a burning building, and an Epic character should find this trivial, rather than just applying damage from a burning building appropriate to the level of the character. "Well, yes, when you rescued your mentor from a burning building WAY back at 1st level, fire only did 1d6 damage, but you're now 21st level, so a burning building burns hotter and now does 3d8+60 damage. The fire and the building gain 20 levels right along with you."

To me, epic characters aren't challenged by normal buildings burning with normal fire, or if you prefer, "low level "buildings and low level fire. This doesn't mean normal buildings and normal fire don't exist for high level PCs, it just means that those challenges are not appropriate for those PCs and an adventure shouldn't be sited there unless the stakes involved make it relevant. Paragon players often find themselves in deadly dungeons, palace towers, mountainsides etc. Epic PCs could be anywhere - a castle in a lava lake on a fire plane, storming the gates of heaven or hell, plumbing a dungeon in the intestines of a dead god etc

It's not that the players autolevel the world around them, it's that their adventures take them to places of a roughly appropriate threat level (in the interests of an entertaining game for everyone), or that their appropriately-powered opponents travel to them. High level PCs probably are wasting their time beating up kobolds, and encountering threats way out of their league is asking for a TPK.

In real-world terms it's ludicrous that a man with a toothpick could fight a giant firebreathing flying lizard. In D&D players will have a fair idea their PCs could defeat a particular dragon, but fighting that dragon would be suicide. Appropriate flavour in description provides a graceful way of indicating to the players that this band of orcs is apparently low level and of little challenge while that band of orcs are a real challenge.

The missing element here is setting flavour e.g. the level of buildings, the threats presented relative to the PCs. Players cannot make informed choices of tactics and strategy unless they understand the world as presented and the nature of the risks therein. The flavour of descriptions can help explain/justify what's happening or damage the game. To me appropriate description flavour is essential to giving players enough information to play the game, and for reconnecting reskinned powers of PCs and monsters back into the game world.

Bad descriptions and passive aggression in interacting with rules you dislike can damage any RPG session regardless of the system or the edition, and waste the time of everyone concerned. It's pointless and aggravating, just find rules you can live with.

And maybe it's OK, even desirable, for those Epic characters to sometimes be reminded of just how powerful they are by trivially resolving a problem that would have been (even was) challenging or insurmountable back in their Heroic days, intermingled with those Epic challenges that would have been unthinkable back in those days. Not a challenge, and not the focus of play, but something that gives the feeling they truly are Epic now as compared to "back in the day".

Yes, given appropriate flavour in the descriptions, so the world can make sense.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
The example of the PC going from itinerent adventurer to lord of a dominion is one which is historically part of D&D and archetypal to fantasy fiction whether we are speaking of Theseus, Beowulf, Conan, or the characters within The Lord of the Rings. As such, it is the perspective I'm appealing to most often, but there may be others.
If you look at that fiction, however, much of it focuses on the personal deeds of those individuals. For instance, the King Conan stories involve a lot of personal action (I'm thinking Phoenix on the Sword, Scarlet Citadel and Hour of the Dragon) - much more of it than negotiating alliances (I don't remember any, as opposed to making personal friendships/allies), or even than leading armies (of which there is some, but even then the finale can often be personal (admittedly Black Colossus is the first thing coming to my mind, which predates King Conan in the character's timeline, but I think there are other examples).

I don't think there is any inherent conflict between a focus on the individual as the locus of action and epic scope. When Fingolfin challenge Morgoth to single combat the focus is on the individual, but Fingolfin is the bearer of the hopes of all the Noldor. I think it is epic in a way that (say) the dwarves escaping from the goblins in the Hobbit is not.

there should be a fundamental shift that allows one to see, pretty much at a glance, that we have moved from Tier A to Tier B.

<snip>

Interestingly (to me, at least), it seems many of those fundamental differences might reasonably be divorced from the levels of the characters. 27th level characters could continue adventures in the Heroic tier, with bigger numbers, and L6 characters might nonetheless have Epic adventures, depending on what factors we are using to define each tier.
In what, sense, then are they "tiers" through which the game "moves"? This makes it just look like different subject matters of play: bureaucratic/management focused, say, vs personal action focused.

I'm no 4e expert, but every level having a set level of damage done in various circumstances, DC of challenges, etc. seems to suggest that "more of the same with bigger numbers" is a primary driver.
This is in almost complete contradiction to the earlier part of your post that I quoted. It can't be true both that "fundamental differences are divorced from the levels of the characters" and that "all levels being mechanically the same in resolution suggests 'more of the same with bigger numbers'". If differences are independent of level - that is, if looking at a given level's numbers doesn't tell you what is going on in the game - then noticing that the numbers are functionally equivalent at different levels can't tell you what is going on in the game either.

4e is flat maths. Bounded accuracy. The numerical scaling has signifcance only against a default Monster Manual (and trap list). But - as the Neverwinter supplement demonstrates in practice - you can descale all those numbers if you want while preserving the flavour: you just have to change your Monster Manual (Neverwinter does that - it has its own monster and NPC stats in the book).

Fourth edition with its skill check DC's set by party level, and its 'fixed math' was built explicitly to keep the gameplay and character relationship to the world the same from level 1 to level 30.

<snip>

it seemed to have lost sight of this notion of character perspective on and relationship with the world changing as the character advanced in level that was implicit or even explicit in earlier editions like BECMI or AD&D.
I think you are correct about some of the purposes of 4e's flat maths. But I also think you are not paying sufficient regard to the role of paragon paths and epic destinies (and themes, introduced later, but playing a comparable sort of role at 1st level) in playing this role.

I don't follow. What system are you describing? Whose game?

Nothing in any 4e rulebook states or implies that an epic PC who runs into a burning building will suffer the same (proportionate) debilitation as would a heroic PC. In fact, the game gives the GM a whole raft of tools for making sure this is the case. (Eg at heroic tier the burning building is probably a hazard doing significant damage; at epic tier it might be difficult terrain causing 15 hp of fire damage if you end your turn in it.)

often people have little or no experience taking down demon lords whereas killing goblin kings might have become rather ho-hum. What is exciting is therefore the novelty of facing down Orcus in his bone palace. But I've been playing 30+ years now, and while I've never faced Orcus I've certainly faced plenty of high level powerful foes. I might enjoy dungeon crawling through the bone palace and fighting against Orcus a great deal and for the merits of that sort of play, especially if done well, but it wouldn't feel 'epic' to me in a sense that killing a goblin king didn't also.
I have GMed 3 long-running fantasy RPG campaigns over the past 25 years, with no hiatus. Each has run into the epic levels. (Two in Rolemaster, one in D&D.) My players and I have experience in playing/GMing confrontatins with a wide variety of enemies, from bandits to demon lords. We can tell the difference between prosaic and epic.

You seem to be starting from a premise that everyone on this thread posting about epic play, other than you, has confused a dungeon crawl with a lick of epic-coloured paint for the real thing. Maybe you could revisit the premise - perhaps people really are running games which aren't dungeon crawls (which, perhaps, weren't even dungeon crawls at first level).

pemerton

Legend
Whenever I see reference to "level appropriate damage", I see the same videogame mentality. What would be so wrong with that L15, or L25, character walking into the burning building and emerging with the rescued children, unharmed and barely sweating, to the awe of onlookers?
You seem confused.

The notion of "level appropriate damage" is pretty straightforward: the game is built around a mechanical assumption about a constant chance to hit (roughly 3 in 5) dealing level + 8 hp of damage on a hit. Deviations from that baseline then provide the variety (both tactical and thematic) in mechanical challenge design.

Trailblazer unpacked 3E's mechanics to do the same thing for that system - though in my view it's a lot more fiddly than 4e, in part because 4e was designed to be transparent from the start. Does the notion that a creature's SR (if it has any) should be in the neighbourhood of 10 or so + CR evince the same "videogame mentality"?
[MENTION=2656]Aenghus[/MENTION] also makes a salient point: why would the GM frame epic PCs into a housefire? What is goig on in the situation? If there really is nothing but a housefire, the default in 4e is to "say yes". It is not a situation that enlivens the mechanics, as far as epic level PCs are concerned.
[MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION] has multiple posts arguing that even paragon PCs should be engaging the world in fundamentally different ways, and you have been posting your agreement, but now you're saying 4e lacks genuine epic play because it's mechanics aren't optimised for framing epic PCs into housefires and rescuing kitten stuck in trees?

Whenever I see reference to "level appropriate damage", I see the same videogame mentality. What would be so wrong with that L15, or L25, character walking into the burning building and emerging with the rescued children, unharmed and barely sweating, to the awe of onlookers? He's not at all challenged, but it sends the message just how far he has moved beyond the masses - far more effectively, IMO, than in having him take "level-appropriate damage" that should have reduced anyone else near the fire to ash based on their hp.

The notion of "level appropriate damage" is pretty straightforward: the game is built around a mechanical assumption about a constant chance to hit (roughly 3 in 5) dealing level + 8 hp of damage on a hit. Deviations from that baseline then provide the variety (both tactical and thematic) in mechanical challenge design.

Trailblazer unpacked 3E's mechanics to do the same thing for that system - though in my view it's a lot more fiddly than 4e, in part because 4e was designed to be transparent from the start. Does the notion that a creature's SR (if it has any) should be in the neighbourhood of 10 or so + CR evince the same "videogame mentality"?

Yes.

@Aenghus also makes a salient point: why would the GM frame epic PCs into a housefire? What is goig on in the situation? If there really is nothing but a housefire, the default in 4e is to "say yes". It is not a situation that enlivens the mechanics, as far as epic level PCs are concerned.

Yes again. This is the thing. 4e's explicit architecture make's basic assumptions of play and provides basic advice for those default assumptions. However, simultaneously, it also provides how play emerges from perturbing those assumptions and what those deviant (non-pejorative) outcomes will provide. If you want to make a cakewalk conflict so the PCs can "show their stuff", then have at it. The system tells you how to do it. However, the system does default to "skip to the fun (conflict)" such that deviation into a measurable proportion of conflict-neutral (meaning little to no threat to characters and/or no thematic stakes on the line) scenes (such as the epic level character with "power cosmic" as mundane fire-fighter) is, while not forbade, advised against. I find that to be good advice. A fundamental GMing principle I try to always observe is to "push play toward conflict" and oftentimes (but not always) to "escalate, escalate, escalate." Too many conflict-neutral scenes harms the paradigm, and accompanying table experience, I'm going for.

Celebrim

Legend
Pemerton. I bow to you. I had thought myself the wordiest writer on EnWorld, but you have just took the crown from me. That post is so long, I got lost in it. It may take me several days to read it, if I ever manage to.

I can only respond to some of the highlights.

You two have very different conceptions of RPGing from me. (Or else, perhaps, are using words with very different meanings).

Here are two episodes of "flavour", not all that untypical in my experience.

(1) The PCs are walking along. They find their travel blocked by a deep gorge.

(2) The PCs are walking along. They find their travel blocked by a rushing stream.​

The difference between the stream and the gorge is a difference of flavour/colour. But it is not mere colour.

Agreed. You have differentiated them mechanically. But it would be possible to make the difference mere color. If you used the same process simulation to resolve both hazards, for example rolling a series of Survival and Perception skill checks to get X successes before Y failures, then the difference between the two is mere color. For that matter, the difference between crossing the gorge and winning a seige of a castle might also be reduced to mere color.

There are whole modules built around the premise that these sorts of differences of flavour matter to action resolution because they make different player resources, and different modes of deploying them, relevant.

Think about that for a bit.

I don't really see that you're describing anything here other than bad (lazy? inexperienced?) GMing.

No, I don't really see how you are describing anything here other than bad GMing. You know enough Nar techniques to know how to make this opaque to the players. Don't set up a bad example of handling the situation as a straw man and then think that suffices to dismiss it. Besides which, this is tangent you've picked up on from something that was meant to be a simple analogy. You're well off the point of the analogy now.

In such a situation I think I'd prefer that the GM be frank than simply railroad.

Pem, I'm not sure you'd even realize when you were doing something I'd consider a railroad. At least I know that there are railroading techniques involved in treating a forest like a dungeon, and would be conscious of the technique I was using. I wrote the definite guide on how to railroad and why.

On another occasion, a PC had fallen unconscious during a fight inside a burning building. Another PC, outside the building, wanted to rush in and rescue him. After some discussion at the table, we resolved the movement as normal but requiring a STR check (at the level-appropriate DC) to break through the flame-weakened timber. The damage-by-level table was used to adjudicate the damage suffered by the rescuing PC (both fire damage and also untyped damage from having bits of building fall on him as he broke through the wall - being a tiefling helped him endure the fire damage).

Speaking of how you can level up and it means no change in your relationship to the world...

First is the equation of "being heroes" with "dungeon crawling". By "dungeon crawling" do you mean any RPG action that involves the players declaring actions for their PCs that are resolved via the relevant mechanical procedures (often but not always dice)? If so, that is a very expansive meaning of "dungeon crawling" - for instance it entails that most Traveller or CoC play is dungeon crawling.

Quite a lot of CoC play is dungeon crawling, I agree. By "dungeon crawling" I mean the play of process simulation with little or no hard scene framing on a map where the players engage in exploration and tactical combat, usually to retrieve treasure, clues, perform quest actions, or in some cases simply for the sake of that as a game itself. And yes, I associate that with "heroic tier" but not either exclusively with heroic tier nor as a definative attribute of it. And yes, I know you dont' do "dungeon crawling", you run a classic "open world" style game that is comparitively high on scene framing and abstraction.

Third, that 1000s of lives depend on the PCs' choices, rather than a few lives, strikes me as in-and-of itself having little significance for the tone or depth of the campaign. I have GMed episodes in which NPC allies, soldiers, dependents etc were added to lists upon recruitment, and crossed off them after dying, in much the same way as an equipment list might be managed. I have also GMed episodes in which one dependent NPC dying though a bad choice from a PC was one of the most emotionally significant moments in the campaign to date.

I've had both in the same campaign.

Fourth, the fact that you broke out BattleSystem strikes me as not particularly fundamental. It's an oddity of D&D (and of course other systems too) that its combat system and skill system don't scale up very well to handle mass combats. This is not true of all RPGs. Even in my 4e game, to give an example, when the PCs had to lead the defence of a duergar citadel against the incursion of a demonically possessed purple worm this was resolved as a skill challenge: the fictional stakes were high, but the resolution mechanics themselves don't need to change to reflect that...

*shakes head* LOL Seriously, Pem, I don't think we are ever going to understand each other.

Finally, it seems to me that I could "change the drapes" of your paragon campaign and set it at a much more prosaic level. Instead of armies vying via BattleSystem, I have market stalls competing via whatever mechanic you want to use to resolve economic rivalry. Instead of soldiers and citizens, I have family members and employees. Instead of grand alliances, I have agreements with millers and farmers and the vendors of spices. And so instead of your game of kings, I am the head of my family which sells spicy fruit buns at market stalls throughout the city, in heated rivalry with the vendors of custard buns. (And the analogue to your retainers and agents is the junior family members who actually do the selling, dealing with recalcitrant customers and thieves but reporting the big things, like thugs demanding protection money, to me.)

I'm not really sure that that is a paragon game...

I'm fairly sure it is. And I'm fairly sure that, some of your humor aside, you could run a seriously interesting game set at that power level. Now, a DM could also squash it, by having an invasion of something well above the power level of the setting show up and reduce the quarrels to a petty state - even banded together the merchant houses can't resist the invasion of dragons or armies of the Empire and the paragons are reduced to mere heroes fighting to survive. But you could also elevate it, can the merchant houses survive the zombie apocalypse after the apparant destruction of the rest of civilization?

What I think this example shows is that the flavour - what is at stake? - does matter to tiers of play. Whereas the fact that the players are managers rather than immediate protagonists, at least in my view, doesn't.

To me it shows the opposite.

In this we have something of a disconnect, very much related to a point I made above. You are framing this almost entirely from the ingame perspective. But for me, as a player, what matters is my experience, not the imagined experience of my PC.

Well, it's about time you realized that. For me, as a player, what matters is the imagined experience of my PC. It's to create the imagined experience of my PC that I'm playing, and the experience of the PC being my own experience as a player is the sensation or effect I'm going for. It's that sensation of remembering play through the eyes of the PC rather than remembering play as something that happened at a table and involved dice that lies at the heart of well played RPGs IMO. Of course I'm framing it from an ingame perspective, because that is the perspective that is dominate in my game. In fact, I'd go so far to say that within RPGs as I play them, if you as a player are not engaging them from an in game perspective you are doing it wrong. As a storyteller, a player that consistantly refused to engage entirely or nearly entirely from an ingame perspective would eventually be booted from my table as a pernicious trouble maker who was ruining the game.

I don't really understand how an NPC can quest to change the rules of the game - that seems very OotS to me.

The NPC doesn't percieve it as questing to change the rules of the game. He percieves it as questing to change to the physics of the world he lives in. Since those physics are defined by game rules, the practical effect on the game of the NPCs quest would be changes in the rules of the game. You rightly discern that I'm broadly speaking in this case of things like new feats, new spells, etc. - things added to the setting or removed from the setting - that correspond to changes in the fictional positioning of the entire setting.

But on the main point, your whole game set-up seems very different from mine (on the assumption that the players share their PCs' ignorance). The PCs in my game wouldn't be framed into a goal that is so opaque to the players. The players tend to choose their own goals and I frame around that.

The players PC's also have their own goals. One PC is Champion of Aravar. He has goals like: serve Aravar and bring honor to his name, discover his own hidden identity (player deliberately left mysteries in his backstory), and related to that find his missing father and reconnect to his heritage. One PC is a Cleric of Showna. She has goals like: connect with the orthodox chuch of Showna and learn its mysteries, learn the secrets of her heritage (again deliberate mysteries in her backstory, really common player theme there), and respread the worship of Showna to the sword coast region so that it may regain prominence. And so forth. Some players main agendas are simplier - acquire personal power or wealth. Some players literally only had a character concept and asked for an agenda that I thought would be suitable to the concept - and were given relationships to NPCs that I knew would be interesting later on. But all of that is occuring within a living world filled with many NPC factions with their own agendas. Some of those NPC factions were added to the game or elaborated on specifically to fulfill or enable player agendas. Some are there specifically to fulfill DM agenda and ensure that the sandbox always has toys to play with. After all, many of my players have never played an RPG before. If there is a lapse in proactivity, I don't want play to grind to a halt.

First, I don't really get the significance of rules. Second, I don't really get the conflation of PC and player perspective.

You wouldn't. I'm not surprised that you don't in both cases.

N'raac also asks whether it will change the encounters the PCs have. Of course it will - if the world changes, then things met within it will change. If new forces are unleashed, then the demigods of the world are likely to encounter those forces. Contrary to the claims about flavour, these are not mere flavour - just as negotiating with a charging orc, a shopkeeper, a guardian angel or a demonic overlord are very different things (different fictional positioning, different emotional and dramatic significance) even if the mechanics are fundamentally the same, likewise encountering a freed primordial compared to (say) a devil or a god (and even more so when that primordial was freed as a result of the efforts of the PCs). The stakes are different. The possible outcomes are different. What the PCs want from them is different. What the PCs will offer them, or try to take from them, is different. This flavour which you two seem to be dismissing is, for me, the essence of an RPG. It's what makes an PRG fundamentally different from a board game - fictional positioning matters, both to framing and to adjudication.

Yes, I agree that fictional positioning matters a lot. I think you can see how from what I described as the goal of play, fictional positioning is critical to creating the game. Indeed, one could say that fictional positioning is at some level all the game. But, when fictional positioning has no impact on the process of play, it can undermine emersion within the fiction. An example of this would be a game like Mass Effect. The first time you play Mass Effect you are quite careful in making dialogue choices because it seems from the fictional positioning that your choices are going to have a big impact on the story. It leads to a satisfying experience of play. But if you then go back and replay the game and make different choices, you quickly realize that it was all illusionism. Your actual ability to make meaningful choices was pretty much non-existent. In many cases, it won't even change the dialogue you experience in any significant way and at most all you can do is shut yourself out of further dialogue. There is basically almost never two different stories. You either get the same story or you don't get a story. None of the changes in fictional positioning nor any of the processes used to change the fictional positioning have much meaning. This is fine so long as you don't penetrate the veil of the illusion, but once you do it undermines the experience.

But I don't need rules to do any of this: if things are going to dissolve, they are going to dissolve.

^^^ *points up* No serious, look up. Read that again.

Luckily for me, for my players and for our campaign I don't GM in this style, and I wouldn't touch an adventure path with a bargepole.

And yet, it moves.

Celebrim

Legend

We just had that realization sweep the party at some level, though sadly it was during an OOC conversation and not in play. The first episode of play involved what Pemeton would call a 'skill challenge' (in that one way to 'win' involved needing to get X success before Y failures) and certainly run as one. Although, in my notes that 'solution' while highly likely was one of about 7 different attempted solutions that I had prepared to resolve in case the players responded to the problem differently. There scene itself involved being on the docks of a great city on a typical late winter morning when the city experienced a 30' high tsunami. The 'skill challenge' basically involved successfully running through the city streets to high ground, and really after that loses just about all relationship to a 4e skill challenge. But as the highest level character leveled up last session, some of the players were musing about whether the Champion could now survive the tsunami without actually running away. And I affirmed, that as maximum damage from just taking the tsunami to the face as it where was 9d6+15 damage, the Champion was now so beloved by Aravar that he just couldn't die in such a situation. Aravar would certainly protect him sufficiently that he'd end up with no more than just a few bruises and wet clothes.

But this is hardly the first time they've realized they aren't nearly the same persons they were 3 in game months ago. When the Despot of Amalteen knighted the Champion, the player of the Champion was literally stunned. Afterwards he said, "I didn't realize that sort of thing could happen." Moreover, as a player he knows that being knighted isn't mere fictional positioning. The DC of most of his social checks has changed as a result. People act toward him usually with more deference as the result of a reliable mechanic and will continue to do so, not as the result of the DM arbitrarily favoring him or disfavoring him in some way. Social checks aren't going to just get harder as he levels up. So everything about the game is playing together toward the same ends.

Now in 4e, the effect of a tsunami is not defined by some absolute standard but rather by who it affects. The tsunami levels up with the character, and the DM is responcible for enforcing that through scene framing and fictional positioning.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION], you make frequent references to various video/computer games. I've not played any of them, but I think I have the general gist of what you are talking about - variations on reskinning in WoW (rats become wolves become dragons, but the play is still just roll to hit, roll to damage, loot it when it's dead), variations on Roads to Rome (perhaps) in Mass Effect (whatever choices you make, you end up in the same place).

For some reason you don't believe me that my game is not like that. I don't really know why - I don't think it can be on the basis of reading my play posts. In the post about the baronial dinner party, for instance, no one at the table knew what would happen, or that the players would decide to tell the baron the truth about his advisor and goad the advisor into betraying his true colours, until these actions were discussed and then declared by the players.

In the case of the fight with Torog, the email traffic between the Soul Abattoir session and the Torog session (some of which I am party to, some of which the players keep me out of) there were heated discussions about whether to stay and fight, or to run for the party's Planar Dromond that was waiting for them on the Soul Slough. They decided to stay and fight.

(The fight even involved a mechanical change - an escalation die for both to hit and damage, in the fiction corresponding to Torog's weakening as he loses the supply of power from the Soul Abattoir, in the metagame to give the players the bonuses they needed to deal with a 34th level being's defences. But that change did not make it epic.)

Moreover, as a player he knows that being knighted isn't mere fictional positioning. The DC of most of his social checks has changed as a result. People act toward him usually with more deference as the result of a reliable mechanic and will continue to do so, not as the result of the DM arbitrarily favoring him or disfavoring him in some way.
The fact that the DC of social checks has changed is not a contrast to fictional positioning. It is a consequence of fictional positioning - ie he is in a position to ask, or demand, things of NPCs that he hitherto wasn't.

For similar reasons, the dwarf fighter/cleric typically receives a +2 circumstance bonus when making Diplomacy checks in situations of civilised negotiations, because of the respect accorded to "Lord Derrik of the Dwarfholme of the East".

I'm not sure what the "arbitrariness" comment is doing - it seems an allusion to an excange with [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] in the "what's the rush" thread. But in any event, the fact that (say) the duergar in my game didn't trust the chaos drow was not arbitrary. It's because they could tell, from the runes of chaos on his demonskin robes, that he was a threat to their carefully constructed order. (And their fears came true - he opened a demongate that led to their citadel being destroyed.)

You have differentiated them mechanically.
No I haven't. Describing one as a gorge and the other as a stream isn't a mechanical differentiation. It's purely a difference of flavour.

But it would be possible to make the difference mere color. If you used the same process simulation to resolve both hazards, for example rolling a series of Survival and Perception skill checks to get X successes before Y failures, then the difference between the two is mere color.
If the DCs for those checks are different, eg because in one case the availability of pitons confers a +2 bonus to Survival, and in the other case casting Icy Terrain to freeze the stream grants a +2, then it is not mere colour.

Furthermore, if the outcome changes the fictional positioning, such that new options are or are not available, then it also is not mere colour. This is unlikely to be the case in a simple scenario of traversing an obstacle, because the obstacle will probably not figure in the game again. (Though surprises are always possible!) But it is very common with NPCs. Irritate an NPC in this interaction, and next time that is your starting point. Which straight away changes the way you declare your action (eg you might start with an apology, or a tentative greeting, rather than getting straight to the point). And that different starting point in turn matters to how things unfold.

This is why I think changes in resolution mechanics are not that important.

I'd go so far to say that within RPGs as I play them, if you as a player are not engaging them from an in game perspective you are doing it wrong.
This seems to explain some of the "accountancy" dimension to your conception of paragon play: if the PC is experiencing the stress of making the logistics of the army viable, then so must the player.

My own very strong preference is for proxy emotions. I don't want my players to feel the fear of death when their PCs' lives are on the line - the proxy is the thrill of gambling combined with the hope for successful choices within the game's combat mechanical framework. And I don't want them to feel the frustrations of rulership. (Most of us have enough bureaucracy in our day jobs.) The proxy, at least in my games, is the cognitive burden of keeping track of an increasingly complex backstory and making decisions that have adequate regard to that complexity.

This relates to a post I made in the "What's the rush" thread: I think 4e's tier system is designed for long-term play. Without long term play, there is no contrast achieved via the amplificative effects of paragon paths and epic destinies, so you may as well go the Neverwinter route and do it with heoric numbers. So I would also say that I don't think paragon or epic play in my preferred sense is easy in a short-term game, because it takes time to build up the intricacy of backstory that supports the proxy I have just outlined for the frustrations of rulership.

But the fact that the emotions are proxies doesn't mean that they're not different one from the other, nor that they're not the result of engaging the gameworld differently and of growth in the scope and complexity of the story elements.

Last edited:

Aenghus

Explorer
Now in 4e, the effect of a tsunami is not defined by some absolute standard but rather by who it affects. The tsunami levels up with the character, and the DM is responcible for enforcing that through scene framing and fictional positioning.

There is no automatic levelling of the tsunami in 4e, it depends on the situation. If the tsunami is supposed to present a challenge to the PCs it may be posed in those terms within the game, or framed as an appropriate skill challenge.

But the presence or absence of the PCs in and of itself doesn't change how the tsunami affects the world and the hordes of NPCs, as this to me is a matter of narration rather than rules. The actions of the players may help save or doom people, building, even a city or multiple cities, but unless they cancel the tsunami itself somehow, it still will devastate everywhere else it reaches.

To me mechanics focusing on the PCs is primarily intended to reduce the workload on the referee. Nothing stops the referee from creating or adapting more mechanics for the tsunami's effects apart from the PCs, but this will often be wasted work IMO. The world as presented needs to make sense to everyone regardless, that's part of being a good referee. There shouldn't be inconsistencies in presentation.

In all editions of D&D the direct challenge of a tsunami to a great extent depends on whether the PCs can fly or not, regardless of the level of the PCs.

Remove ads