• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protecting my PC from Ability Score drains

thebitdnd

Explorer
I play a Cleric in a long-running campaign. He is currently 13th level and, for the most part, I keep him out of too much trouble. However, there were two times where he nearly bought the farm and both had to do with ability score drains. One was on the shadow plane where shadows (go figure) nearly brought my strength to 0 (which makes you a shadow), and the other was when demons using the spell-like ability 'blasphemy' (at will), also sapped my strength.

The campaign I am in lends itself to many encounters with outsiders, so I expect to encounter effects like these on occasion.

My question: I'm looking for a magic item that provides protection form such attacks, preferably one that isn't use-activated (i.e. it's always in effect). Does such an item exist? If not, then using the 3.5 DMG rules and costs for creating magic items, how much would such a customized item cost?

Thanks in advance.

Janos Audron

Explorer
thebitdnd said:
I play a Cleric in a long-running campaign. He is currently 13th level and, for the most part, I keep him out of too much trouble. However, there were two times where he nearly bought the farm and both had to do with ability score drains. One was on the shadow plane where shadows (go figure) nearly brought my strength to 0 (which makes you a shadow), and the other was when demons using the spell-like ability 'blasphemy' (at will), also sapped my strength.

The campaign I am in lends itself to many encounters with outsiders, so I expect to encounter effects like these on occasion.

My question: I'm looking for a magic item that provides protection form such attacks, preferably one that isn't use-activated (i.e. it's always in effect). Does such an item exist? If not, then using the 3.5 DMG rules and costs for creating magic items, how much would such a customized item cost?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's called a phylactery, 128.000 GP, 4.800 XP. You can find it in the MM under the Lich entry ;).

Oh, and it gives a whole lot of other bonusses too!

shilsen

Adventurer
A scarab of protection absorbs such attacks, and also provides SR 20 as long as it is in your possession. Unfortunately, it crumbles to dust when it absorbs 12 such attacks. It costs 38,000 gp.

ruleslawyer

Well, a magic item of death ward will do it...

Seriously, consider obtaining an amulet that has a constantly operating death ward effect on it. Such an item would cost a minimum of 7 (caster level) x4 (spell level) x2000 by the rules, which sums to 56,000 gp; quite expensive, but well within the realm of affordability for a 13th-level PC.

Otherwise, you'd really have to change your race entirely; becoming a construct or undead (or deity!) is really the only way to completely skirt the danger of ever being ability- or level-drained.

sithramir

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
Well, a magic item of death ward will do it...

Seriously, consider obtaining an amulet that has a constantly operating death ward effect on it. Such an item would cost a minimum of 7 (caster level) x4 (spell level) x2000 by the rules, which sums to 56,000 gp; quite expensive, but well within the realm of affordability for a 13th-level PC.

Otherwise, you'd really have to change your race entirely; becoming a construct or undead (or deity!) is really the only way to completely skirt the danger of ever being ability- or level-drained.

Unfortunately it would be 7X4X2000X2=112000 since you forgot to add in the factor based on duration of the spell.

Still worth it but not quite as acquirable at 13th lvl.

Ferox4

First Post
sithramir said:
Unfortunately it would be 7X4X2000X2=112000 since you forgot to add in the factor based on duration of the spell.

Still worth it but not quite as acquirable at 13th lvl.

Not to mention almost 4 months to make it...... :eek:

Gilrion

First Post
There is an armor ability called Soulfire in the Book of Exalted Deeds that protects as Death Ward. That doesn't stop ability drain, though. Death spells, death attacks, energy drain and negative energy yes, but not ability drain. Not sure how to help you there... How about simply boosting your saves? Doesn't help with Blasphemy, though...

Gaiden

Explorer
You are a cleric, what do you need magic items for?!?

The solution to Blasphemy is easy - Silence or Deafness. Take Silent Spell feat and you will never have to worry about those damn no save spells (the 7th level ones) again. In the spell description (at least for Blashpemy) it says you have to hear the words.

Another tactic, far more mechanically cheesy, although descriptively cool, is just to scream. Yup, scream at the top of your lungs when you identify with spellcraft the casting of that spell and hope to Pelor that you don't hear the words. Spellcasting is normally projected at a speaking voice volume (I forget the actual language used in the books). There is no mention of volume in the spell text so I would presume for Blashpemy it is the same. If you are screaming, you would really need to make a listen check to hear the voice - probably the one time you would want to fail the check.

The last tactic, and this is a house rule for sure, is to require a concentration check for someone who willingly tries to pretend like they did not hear what was going on. For a real world example look to the buddhist monks - the ones that set themselves on fire while meditating. Concentration is a powerful thing :). Of course I would probably set the DC to 25+spell level+modifiers.

Almost other forms of ability drain come from poison or undead. Poison is easy - neutralize poison comes to mind. In fact, undead are pretty easy too. You can turn them, consecrate, negative energy protection (why did they remove this spell from 3.5 anyway), searing light, deathward, etc., etc., etc.

Finally you have lesser restoration to fix any ability drain you get - that or restoration if its really necessary. Get someone who knows hot to make a wand collaborate with a paladin to make a wand of lesser restoration for 750 gp.

BTW, the deafness tactic I am thinking about using in RttToEE against Hedrak. We have not fought him yet (and don't spoil anything), but i was thinking that if he did have access to Blasphemy our party would be obliterated. So I will have a readied silence spell, spell immunity to silence (and dispel magic of course), and make myself deaf. I think the 20% miscast is an even tradeoff. I can also just prepare a remove blindness/deafness if he doesn't have it.

Ferox4

First Post
Gaiden said:
You can turn them, consecrate, negative energy protection (why did they remove this spell from 3.5 anyway).....

When they were tidying up 3.5 over at Cashbro it got swept under the Death Ward rug.

Remove ads