PS3 600 dollars? Sony is on crack

Vigilance

Explorer
Captain Tagon said:
So what do you guys think of the news coming out about Sony's 2000 patent regarding making it where the PS3 won't be able to play rented, borrowed, or preowned games?

How are they going to do that? Identify a rented or borrowed game as different from one you bought?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Those rumors have popped up every so often since 2000. And every time Sony has denied they are going to restrict used games sales.

But obviously, that's something all software companies want to do eventually. Like Microsoft for instance - AFAIK, they are doing exactly that with the games and content sold via Xbox Live - if you buy something of it, you can't sell it to someone else, can you? (Even if you sell the game).

And it happens with PC games - the whole Steam thing, and like in Galactic Civilizations 2, where you have to pay $20 for a new serial number if you buy the game used.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Vigilance said:
How are they going to do that? Identify a rented or borrowed game as different from one you bought?

Here's an article on it

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-sony10jul10,1,4309266.story?coll=la-headlines-technology

Sounds like they just give each console an id, and then have that piece of software only work with that console. Which in practice would only work if the thing in question is hooked up to the internet (so basically like internet activation), or if it had some sort of writeable drive.

Since it was patented in Japan, I suspect it's in Japanse and probably not even online (unlike US patents) so a lot if just speculation. (Edit, actually I guess it is also in the US, but Sony has 30,000 patents since 1976, and I can't find it)

But it sounds to me like it's exactly what Microsoft is already doing with Xbox Live Arcade, and Nintendo will for the Wii's Virtual Console...

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Captain Tagon said:
So what do you guys think of the news coming out about Sony's 2000 patent regarding making it where the PS3 won't be able to play rented, borrowed, or preowned games?
So, we should admonish Sony but let the other companies off the hook for the same thing? Or did we vote Sony to serve as our first example of customer's dissatisfaction, because personally I'd rather start at home ... with Microsoft.

:] :] :] :]

Bront

The man with the probe
trancejeremy said:
I dunno. I'm sure it will sell, but it will offer completely different sorts of games than the 360 or PS3. You won't be able to play serious games with that controller and frankly, mock sword fighting games or whatever have zero interest in me (and a lot of other adults, I imagine).
So, Madden 2007 isn't a serious title? Metroid Prime III isn't a serious title?

You can do a lot more than you think, and if need be, with the nunchuk adapter, it should work like a regular controler.

Arnwyn

First Post
Captain Tagon said:
"Coming out"? As others have said, that's old news. Sony denies they'll use it for the PS3 (whatever those denials are worth).

trancejeremy said:
But obviously, that's something all software companies want to do eventually. Like Microsoft for instance - AFAIK, they are doing exactly that with the games and content sold via Xbox Live - if you buy something of it, you can't sell it to someone else, can you? (Even if you sell the game).

And it happens with PC games - the whole Steam thing, and like in Galactic Civilizations 2, where you have to pay $20 for a new serial number if you buy the game used.
Bingo.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Personally, I get a kick out of watching Sony drive the nails into its own coffin. They hammer like mad men while Microsoft happily hands them the nails.
I've never seen a company more out of touch with its customers...and reality.

Sony will do ok in Japan, but they are going to take a beating in the US.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
Like Microsoft for instance - AFAIK, they are doing exactly that with the games and content sold via Xbox Live - if you buy something of it, you can't sell it to someone else, can you? (Even if you sell the game).

If I buy something off of Live, the content is tied to my account. I can then set up my account on anyone's hard drive and download the content onto it for them, at no extra charge. Once you download it, you can download it as much as you want, for free.

That may no be exactly legal, but it can be done with no modifications to the hardware.

doktorziplok

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I wouldn't buy a Sony product due to their unethical behavior as a compnay, and spending 500-600 bucks on a console is insane. I'm going to pick a Wii up. It will be my first console since the Sega Genesis.
qtf

exactly. someone brought up the notion earlier that the ps3 may run on linux thereby allowing homebrew. do you really think sony would allow ANYTHING but sony-licensed software to be run on the ps3? not bloody likely. look to the psp, if sony had a clue on how to pwn the market they would open it up, but instead they lock it down.

it also appears that sony has shot itself in the foot with yet another failed propriety media. apparently target and (possibly) walmart have pulled umd movies from their shelves. i can't find the link, but i believe i read it on slashdot or digg.

here's a link to the anti-rental doohicky: http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/07/12/193225.shtml

sony for teh win!!11!!!

Remove ads