PS3 600 dollars? Sony is on crack

Bront

The man with the probe
doktorziplok said:
qtf

exactly. someone brought up the notion earlier that the ps3 may run on linux thereby allowing homebrew. do you really think sony would allow ANYTHING but sony-licensed software to be run on the ps3? not bloody likely. look to the psp, if sony had a clue on how to pwn the market they would open it up, but instead they lock it down.

it also appears that sony has shot itself in the foot with yet another failed propriety media. apparently target and (possibly) walmart have pulled umd movies from their shelves. i can't find the link, but i believe i read it on slashdot or digg.

here's a link to the anti-rental doohicky: http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/07/12/193225.shtml

sony for teh win!!11!!!
Actualy, The PSP is perfectly capable of running a 3rd party internet browser, and there is one out there I believe. It took like 2 weeks to happen too. It's not supported by Sony of course, but still, you can write things for it.

John Crichton

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Personally, I get a kick out of watching Sony drive the nails into its own coffin. They hammer like mad men while Microsoft happily hands them the nails.
I've never seen a company more out of touch with its customers...and reality.
Really? So the PS3 isn't catering to the next gen crowd while keep the PS2 (most popular system in the world) supported with new games? I think you don't understand their strategy. You may not like the company but they aren't stupid. They know how to make money and have had some misfires over the years. Just like every other company out there.

Ashrem Bayle said:
Sony will do ok in Japan, but they are going to take a beating in the US.
How so? What kind of beating? Will the 360 be king? Them and what lineup of games? Sure, there are a few coming out that will sell big time. But they lack the criticial 3rd party support that Sony has right now. No Metal Gear, no Final Fantasy, no GT. MS has their must haves and will be a big player (thank goodness) but to think that the PS3 will bomb in the US is madness. It's the games that will make all the difference and at the moment, the 360 is sitting on store shelves not being purchased. The next gen folks are waiting for games to play on their 360 and will be getting the PS3 first thing. Then we'll have an idea of what is to come. Until then, it's all just conjecture.

LightPhoenix

First Post
John Crichton said:
* offers to play pattycake with LP *

That's okay, some guy last night decided to play pattycake with my face. I've had enough of touching for now. :\

On an actual on-topic note, like I said before, I don't think we'll actually know if Sony's strategy will work until the launch happens. It is an interesting study of... um, that economic term that describes price versus demand. It's been a good eight years since economics. :p

Personally, I'm not convinced that there will be enough "hardcore" gamers out there to balance the casual gamer crowd lost, but that's just me. And by hardcore in quotes, I mean gamers who have jobs, specifically excluding parents who buy their children game systems.

Arnwyn

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
It is an interesting study of... um, that economic term that describes price versus demand. It's been a good eight years since economics. :p
"Price elasticity", my good man!

Personally, I'm not convinced that there will be enough "hardcore" gamers out there to balance the casual gamer crowd lost, but that's just me. And by hardcore in quotes, I mean gamers who have jobs, specifically excluding parents who buy their children game systems.
I am. "Casual gamers" are a very new thing, and should still be considered a "bonus" consumer. Their market 'clout' is far overrated (though valuable for expanding that theoretical pie of a market base). In any case, the "causal gamer" won't likely buy any system for more than $200.

Yay! Three cheers for conjecture!

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
John Crichton said:
How so? What kind of beating? Will the 360 be king? Them and what lineup of games? Sure, there are a few coming out that will sell big time. But they lack the criticial 3rd party support that Sony has right now. No Metal Gear, no Final Fantasy, no GT. MS has their must haves and will be a big player (thank goodness) but to think that the PS3 will bomb in the US is madness. It's the games that will make all the difference and at the moment, the 360 is sitting on store shelves not being purchased.

The PS3 might very well bomb (at least by PS1/PS2 standards; I think worst case is an N64/GameCube-esque solid 3rd position) in North America (and Europe); if Sony can't get high availability and a mass-market price soon enough (fall 2007 is about the absolute latest), then they'll be up against competitors with a much larger installed base, multiplatform games that have spent three years with the 360 as the primary target, HD-DVD as the dominant HD movie format, and maybe another year -- if they're lucky -- before they have to deal with Xbox 3 hype.

Mercule

Adventurer
Arnwyn said:
In any case, the "causal gamer" won't likely buy any system for more than $200.

Interesting. I've considered myself a "casual gamer" since the early 1990s. I play games more than most people I know (besides a couple of "hardcore" gamers) and am pretty good at them. Still, I'm not sure if the amount I've spent on games in the last decade would add up to $600. It'd be close.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Originally Posted by drothgery
The PS3 might very well bomb (at least by PS1/PS2 standards; I think worst case is an N64/GameCube-esque solid 3rd position) in North America (and Europe); if Sony can't get high availability and a mass-market price soon enough (fall 2007 is about the absolute latest), then they'll be up against competitors with a much larger installed base, multiplatform games that have spent three years with the 360 as the primary target, HD-DVD as the dominant HD movie format, and maybe another year -- if they're lucky -- before they have to deal with Xbox 3 hype.

Exactly.
Another thing to consider is that some people bought the X-Box over the PS2 because it was the more powerful system, with fancier graphics. The PS3 will not have that advantage over the 360.

Originally Posted by John Crichton
Will the 360 be king? Them and what lineup of games? Sure, there are a few coming out that will sell big time. But they lack the criticial 3rd party support that Sony has right now.

Ghost Recon
Oblivion
Prey
Condemned
Chromehounds
Project Gotham Racing
Burnout
Fight Night Round 3
Dead or Alive
Hitman
Kameo
Call of Duty
Quake 4
Tomb Raider (I havn't played it yet, but I hear it's great.)
Various sports games I haven't played, but hear they are good.
..all very high quality games you can go buy right now.

Dead Rising
Gears of War
Halo 3
Alan Wake
Mass Effect
Lost Planet
GTA
Jade Empire 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
Resident Evil 5
Knights of the Old Republic 3
...all games that look to be A+ quality, and will be out soon.

No Metal Gear, no Final Fantasy, no GT.

And? Just three? There is Assassin's Creed, but that is also coming to the 360. I guess you could say God of War will eventually show up. Resident Evil will also be on the PS3, as will GTA, but the 360 gets it first.

It's the games that will make all the difference

Yep. By the time the PS3 is released, you'll have a few dozen great games on the 360 vs the PS3's half dozen or so. I fail to see how the PS3 will win here.

...and at the moment, the 360 is sitting on store shelves not being purchased.

Really? Got any data to back that up? Last I heard, the 360 was selling just fine.

The next gen folks are waiting for games to play on their 360 and will be getting the PS3 first thing.

Waiting? For what? I've been playing great games since I got my 360 on release day. Oblivion is the best RPG I've ever played. Period.. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter is the best in the GR series so far. Fight Night and PGR3 are both amazing, and I've never even liked boxing or racing games. Prey is pretty mindblowing, and Burnout is fun for days, even if it is a original X-Box port. And that's not even considering the backwards compatible games, or the Live Arcade, which is pretty awesome by itself.

Last edited:

Remove ads