PS3: "Final Fantasy XIII", "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" or "Dragon Age: Origins"?

jefgorbach

First Post
Depends on your gaming style/preference. Personally, I pfr dropping $5 at my favorite local rental shop for some very useful hands-on experience with ANY new game before purchasing it outright.

Oblivion allows free-form roaming so you'll get your money's worth. I picked up the Game of the Year edition of Oblivion (which includes both downloadable add-on quests) for $27 from Gamestop back in Dec, play 1-2 hours nightly, and STILL have plenty todo in both the main quest and about 3/4 of the countryside to wander thru. I havent been able to find a written guidebook, however UESPWiki has all the hints, clues, and walk-thrus you'll need.

If you like this style, also consider Fallout3. ($55 for the game of the year edition with add-ons included; $30 guidebook). Its a Post-WW3 setting so the plotline/weapons differ and lacks magic but again offers plenty of freeform wandering.

Personally skipped the Final Fantasy series bc its a Japanese-RPGs ... meaning excellent graphics, however you cant explore outside the main script so the game's effectively over if you cant get past a particular problem.

DragonAge is a popular rental at my FLRS, which I've skipped because its rumored to suffer the same problem, however Dragon Age: Origins - Dragon Age Wiki implies otherwise so I'll have to give it a rent sometime.

wolff96

First Post
My recommendations:

1) Dragon Age: Origins. It's an awesome game, with quite a bit of character choice and a great storyline.

2) Fallout 3: As others have mentioned, it's a wonderful, wide-open game. Your choices really affect things.

3) Oblivion: See #2, then add some (to me) really annoying bugs. Of course, I played it early on, I've heard there have been patches since then.

37) Final Fantasy XIII: I played it all the way through and I'm still not sure why. It is *literally* 25 hours into the game before you get off the (highly visible) rails. It's a very pretty movie coupled to some adequate gameplay. Some people apparently really liked it, but I couldn't stand the *complete* lack of freedom. Chapter 11 opens it up a bit, but it's still just more options to go out and kill bigger monsters.

SKyOdin

First Post
Final Fantasy XIII is a mixed bag. As other people have said, it is cutscene heavy and very linear for most of its length (I haven't quite beaten it yet, so I can't really comment). However, what people haven't mentioned is that it has one of the best RPG battle systems I have ever seen. While battles can be a little hectic, they are very strategic.

However, as far as PS3 RPGs go I have to mention Valkyria Chronicles, a tactical RPG set in an alternate-earth WWII setting. It is an absolutely brilliant game, with both great story and very good gameplay.

As far as Fallout and Oblivion go I have zero interest in them, so I can't say.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The only one I played on this list was Oblivion, and I enjoyed it although I still believe the Elder Scrolls: Morrowind set is better in flexibility (both in tactical action and in story) except for poorer graphics.

The poster above mentioned Valkyria Chronicles, which was a tactical RPG for the PS3. I have it, enjoyed it, and recommend it.

Brandigan

Explorer
However, as far as PS3 RPGs go I have to mention Valkyria Chronicles, a tactical RPG set in an alternate-earth WWII setting. It is an absolutely brilliant game, with both great story and very good gameplay.

As far as Fallout and Oblivion go I have zero interest in them, so I can't say.

Agree. VC was a lot of fun. Dragon Age is a awesome game. Plus you got DLC and expansions. So I would pick that one out of the three. It has a lot more in common with Oblivion obviously. Between DA and Final Fantasy it's more about personal taste, I think. I never got into the whole FF thing...

abhorsen950

First Post
Oblivion in my opinion, I've had the game since I got my X box 360 I have every achievement and I still play it time and time again.

Steve

Remove ads