• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

pseudo-Ceramic DM (Rd 1 started)

Sniktch

First Post
Yes, sorry; I haven't been able to be online for most of the day, sorry to keep you all in suspense. Arwink's gotten held up as well by RL and hasn't had a chance to look at anything yet. Unless someone else wants to step in and assist with the judging this round, we may be another day or two away, although I do have another idea if everyone's up to it. Due to the attrition in the first round it occurred to me that we could allow everyone into the second round, in two one-on-one-on-one matchups. Call the first round a warm-up (although of course I'll still post my notes, and Maldur's). That way we could get the next round started right away. Its up to the contestants, though; I might just be tired and thinking crazy.

I will go ahead and post what I have for Ashy and Greybar now, however:

Ashy: I like what you've done here. Kind of has a dark, apocalyptic feel, while still managing to evoke The Blues Brothers ("mission from God" :D) and House (son being held by demons). I thought your handling of the pictures was pretty strong - I expected the mallet to be some kind of weapon and its transformation to the horse surprised me and I also liked the way you handled the buried guys. I also enjoyed the hero as schizophrenic approach and the theme of returning to ancestral roots and culture.

from Maldur:
Ashy vs Randomling:
Ashy: Again there seems to be a tendency to go for Modern-Fantasy. Very nice one though. Its a shame you cant compete.

Randomling: Good luck with curing your writers block :)

Greybar:
Greybar brings us our only scenario of the round, a high level adventure involving a rift to the plane of Limbo. Again, I thought it was a pretty strong entry and I wish I had something to compare it to. I hadn't considered the mutating nature of the Slaad into account and I like the way he links it to the frogs in a prophetic dream to start the adventure. Turning the tablet into a minor artifact and a sub-objective of the scenario seems the natural route at this point, and I like the thought of a cataclysmic final battle on a mountain of fire. I do have a slight problem with the ending - if the portal can be closed so easily (by such a high level party), then why are the Slaad trying to gain the tablet so hard? I think there should be greater consequences should the party allow the tablet to be destroyed. Other than that I thought it was a well-constructed entry and I look forward to seeing what you cook up next round.

I haven't received anything from Maldur on this one.

Ashy

First Post
I'm all for moving on! I really enjoyed the first round - warm up or not! :p

Thanks for the pointers Sniktch and Maldur - no criticisms?

Sniktch

First Post
OK, sounds like a plan, then. I have a very busy day ahead of me at work, unfortunately, but I'll get pics up for the next round tonight, and post what I have for NoOne-HalfElf and Jameumz-NiTessine.

Second round will be Ashy vs HalfElf vs NiTessine and Greybar vs Jameumz vs NoOne. The Judges will be ranking the pieces 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each match, where 1st=3 pts, 2nd=2pts, and 3rd=1 pt. The top two point scorers will meet in the final round to determine the overall champion. Assuming nobody has any objections to this setup and nothing pops up in RL, look for the pics sometime tonight (US Eastern Standard time).

Ashy

First Post
Wow - competing against two folks kinda ups the stakes a bit, IMHO... :p Might be something we need to mention to alish2o, being that he wants to increase the challenge level of the real CDM, eh? :)

Sniktch

First Post
Drawmack said:
Sorry for dropping the ball on this one, the flu had me bed ridden all weekend - I'll be here next time though.

That's quite alright, Drawmack - I was more worried when I didn't hear from you than anything, but I didn't have an e-mail address to check and see if you were alright. I'm sorry you missed it - I was looking forward to seeing what you'd cooked up for me. I hope that flu clears up for you - it can be a nasty business.

On another note, arwink has gotten really busy in RL and may or may not be around for judging - would you like to be an alternate judge if we need you to step in? Also, if you still want to write something up and send it to me, I'd still be happy to critique it for you :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads