• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Psionic doubt

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Why the Psionic of 5th edition use Inteligence of your ability, if the Psionic of 2nd and 3nd editions use Wisdow?

In 2e the Psionicist's prime requiresites were Wisdom and Constitution, but the 3.5 Expanded Psionics Handbook stated under the Psion:

"Intelligence determines how powerful a power a psion can manifest, how many powers he can manifest, and how hard those powers are to resist."

So it's been all over the place for a while.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
In 2e the Psionicist's prime requiresites were Wisdom and Constitution, but the 3.5 Expanded Psionics Handbook stated under the Psion:

"Intelligence determines how powerful a power a psion can manifest, how many powers he can manifest, and how hard those powers are to resist."

So it's been all over the place for a while.
Let's not forget the 3.0 psion, who used EVERY stat as a possible manifesting stat. :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Also, we already have a bunch of classes that use wisdom as their primary stat, but only one that uses intelligence (unless you consider it to be the primary stat for EKs and ATs, which I don't.) So it helps spread the wealth.

Shaghayegh

First Post
It depends on what you are doing. Charisma will not help you lift a rock with your mind, you need willpower for that. And turning your hand into a blade? You need to be in touch with body and attuned to your own molecular and cellular structures...

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I think either Charisma OR Wisdom would better fit generic psionic archetypes in fiction than intelligence. That said, intelligence is not too much of a stretch, and this seems a comparatively minor issue. I take much greater issues with...other aspects of the proposed psionic class. (The Occluded mind part of the Conquering Mind discipline is something that would never see the light of day in any game I run, for example...at that paltry cost and without significant further restrictions).
It depends on what you are doing. Charisma will not help you lift a rock with your mind, you need willpower for that. And turning your hand into a blade? You need to be in touch with body and attuned to your own molecular and cellular structures...
Charisma in this context would represent being fully in tune with the pre-existing or unutilized ability of your mind to affect change; since Charisma represents personal identity.

Shiroiken

Legend
2E Psionics used Wisdom, Constitution, and Intelligence. It makes sense mechanically (giving Intelligence another spellcasting class) and thematically.

Last edited:

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Why the Psionic of 5th edition use Inteligence of your ability, if the Psionic of 2nd and 3nd editions use Wisdow?
Basically, because it's easy.
Boring? Yes.

Maybe they think psionics players don't want too much under the hood to run a character, but I think that may be the opposite at the tabletop.
We, at the very least, want something very different and new .

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Wild shot in the dark here, but I'm going with "Because 5th edition isn't 2nd or 3rd edition. Yeah, I know crazy talk, right? Sorry for my outburst.

In all seriousness thought...uh, why do you ask and why do you care? And where is "Psionics" in the PHB/DMG anyway?

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads