Psionics Coming Soon To D&D?

WotC's Mike Mearls has hinted that we may be able to expect some psionics content soon, possibly in the Unearthed Arcana column. He was asked by Ethan Clow on the Twitterweb "any chance we might see a Psionic class for 5e soon? Perhaps in unearthed arcana?" to which he replied "wouldn't be surprised. I *might* have had a couple prior edition psionics books on my desk last week..." (Thanks to Wolf Hunter for the scoop).

WotC's Mike Mearls has hinted that we may be able to expect some psionics content soon, possibly in the Unearthed Arcana column. He was asked by Ethan Clow on the Twitterweb "any chance we might see a Psionic class for 5e soon? Perhaps in unearthed arcana?" to which he replied "wouldn't be surprised. I *might* have had a couple prior edition psionics books on my desk last week..." (Thanks to Wolf Hunter for the scoop).

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I hear that. I'm mainly saying that I hope this is a sign that they'll give psionics a full treatment, meaning an actual expansion book. If there's one way to add a "4E module" to 5E, psionics could be it, as the powers paradigm works perfectly for it.

Bite your tongue! Bring 4e powers into 5e...Are you MAD, man?!

Acr0ssTh3P0nd

First Post
Awww yeah! I've been working on a bunch of Dark Sun stuff because Mad Max was so good, am so glad to see more potential stuff to use (if not directly, at least I can get an idea of their design direction, and hopefully make my homebrew more similar).

If he's working on it now it'll probably still be a few months and in pretty rough shape. I'm not sure how much UA content gets playtested prior.

Ricochet

Explorer
On topic: Cool! I love psionics!

Not on topic: Is there any community like the RPG tabletop one, where people dig in their heels as much as extreme pessimists and extreme optimists? It is often quite startling to read the comments in these threads. Nerdrage vs. Nerdlove. :) Nerd are passionate people it seems. (Is "nerd" a dirty or a cool word at this point in time? I haven't kept up?) EDIT: Not necessarily in this thread, but a few of the responses above got me thinking about it.

Wik

First Post
AW man, bring it on. I mean, I HATE Psionics, and pretty much always have, but seeing some attention to psionics is a necessary first step to seeing Dark Sun material...

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
This has me super-excited. :)

My guess is that the psion will be a subclass of the sorcerer. The mechanics match up with prior editions pretty well. That being said, I was hoping for a full class with subclasses based around the psionic disciplines.

Staffan

Legend
On topic: Cool! I love psionics!

Not on topic: Is there any community like the RPG tabletop one, where people dig in their heels as much as extreme pessimists and extreme optimists? It is often quite startling to read the comments in these threads. Nerdrage vs. Nerdlove. :) Nerd are passionate people it seems. (Is "nerd" a dirty or a cool word at this point in time? I haven't kept up?) EDIT: Not necessarily in this thread, but a few of the responses above got me thinking about it.

"Because nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff. We don't have to be like, 'Oh yeah that purse is okay' or like, 'Yeah, I like that band's early stuff.' Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can't-control-yourself-love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'." - John Green, writer and nerdfighter

BoldItalic

First Post
PCs who are any good at psi will already know what MM is going to write before he even writes it. In fact, they are probably forcing him to write something unrealistic to prevent him revealing their secret awesome powers.

The fact that were are speculating about it means that we don't have what it takes. :.-(

fjw70

Adventurer

Sports, politics, religion, etc.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads