• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics Coming Soon To D&D?

WotC's Mike Mearls has hinted that we may be able to expect some psionics content soon, possibly in the Unearthed Arcana column. He was asked by Ethan Clow on the Twitterweb "any chance we might see a Psionic class for 5e soon? Perhaps in unearthed arcana?" to which he replied "wouldn't be surprised. I *might* have had a couple prior edition psionics books on my desk last week..." (Thanks to Wolf Hunter for the scoop).

WotC's Mike Mearls has hinted that we may be able to expect some psionics content soon, possibly in the Unearthed Arcana column. He was asked by Ethan Clow on the Twitterweb "any chance we might see a Psionic class for 5e soon? Perhaps in unearthed arcana?" to which he replied "wouldn't be surprised. I *might* have had a couple prior edition psionics books on my desk last week..." (Thanks to Wolf Hunter for the scoop).

shadowdemon

First Post
Psionics would be great as an actual supplement book,rather than a simple article.
In my opinion,they should use the "Expanded Psionics Handbook" from 3.5 as a starting point for psionics.
I think the Psion would be it's own actual class with the psychic warrior,soul knife and wilder being archetypes to that class.
Keep psionic power's distinctive from spells as to show the fine line between the two, add a few psionic based feats,
psionic items, ect, all while keeping the balance between all classes/archetypes.
Bringing psionics to the UA articles,should focus on wild talents. Just enough to get the basis of psionics going,yet without
revealing it as a whole. Whichever way WOTC goes with psionics,it would be nice to see an actual supplement rather than
just another published campaign.Overall,perhaps WOTC should do a survey about what supplements people want/hope to see aside from how classes or UA articles work.Again,just my opinion.

justinj3x3

Banned
Banned
Wake me up when there is a physical book to buy. I know others will enjoy an UA article and I'm glad they will, but I'm not interested in play testing for them unless they are giving me a paycheck to do it.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Wake me up when there is a physical book to buy. I know others will enjoy an UA article and I'm glad they will, but I'm not interested in play testing for them unless they are giving me a paycheck to do it.

I couldn't disagree with this sentiment more.

I like free stuff; I like that "they" are giving us free, quality mini-suplements. Unlike the play test period, they're not asking for your feedback. I am not under the impression that my individual feedback is so valuable to them that I should be on their payroll.

The game is being supported, with free supplementary materials. No one needs to buy anything; WOTC are under no obligation to pay anyone. Removing the cash component from both sides of the equation improves things, for every player, whether any individual chooses to use the extra material or not.

justinj3x3

Banned
Banned
I couldn't disagree with this sentiment more.

I like free stuff; I like that "they" are giving us free, quality mini-suplements. Unlike the play test period, they're not asking for your feedback. I am not under the impression that my individual feedback is so valuable to them that I should be on their payroll.

The game is being supported, with free supplementary materials. No one needs to buy anything; WOTC are under no obligation to pay anyone. Removing the cash component from both sides of the equation improves things, for every player, whether any individual chooses to use the extra material or not.

I'm not knocking WOTC for releasing stuff in UA, in fact I said I'm glad for the people who will enjoy it. Nor am I actually claiming I should get a paycheck. It was a cynical jest. That's how I am. As I said I'm glad people will get some stuff to use and enjoy it. For me, I want a final physical product.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Personally I hope psionics fans are willing for some disappointment.

I suspect psionics to be heavily like 4e, the only edition with no problems of psionics meshing with the rest of the system. No "face/decker" problem. No magic/psionics transparency issues. And spell points all ready exist in the DMG.

I see psionics to be heavy with "encounter" psi points, psionic recovery, cantrips, and spells.

Would psionic fans be okay with this?:

ARDENT: Psychic warrior subclass. Grants mantles and Ardent Surges. The psy warrior's healadin build

BATTLEMIND: Psychic warrior subclass. Grants Psychic Defense and Psychic study. The psy warrior's tanky build.

PSION: full class with spells. Psionic points are metapsionic points.
Subclasses: egoist, seer, shaper, kinecist, nomad, telepath

PSYCHIC WARRIOR: full class. 1/2 caster like paladin/ranger. Uses psionic focus.
Subclasses: Ardent, Battlemind

LURK: Rogue roguish archetype. The psionic sister of the arcane trickster.

SOULBOW: Merges with soulknife fighter subclass.

SOULKNIFE: Fighter martial archetype. Gives the fighter a mind blade which can be later shaped to longswords, greatswords, and bows.

WILDER: Sorcerer sorcerous origin. Adds psoinic spells to spell list. Adds wild surge.

Zaran

Adventurer
I'm of two minds about seeing psionics come to Unearthed Arcana. While I want to see a 5e psionics supplement, I really haven't been impressed with Mearls' UA stuff. I'd like to see something that went through UA come back improved from our feedback. Until then I'm not going to have much hope for UA.

Lezta

Explorer
I'm really hoping it's not just a subclass to sorcerer, or wizard. Psion should be its own class. However, I don't really want several psionic classes - one, really well done with lots of options, would be preferable to me.

Also a wild-talent feat would be lovely.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If you have magic why even bother with psionics? It seem redundant.

Dave

Because my world has had all three (arcane, divine, and psionic) since it was created in 1st edition?

Because the elder races and abberations have psionics and they are an integral part of my world mythos and backstory?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Personally I hope psionics fans are willing for some disappointment.

I suspect psionics to be heavily like 4e, the only edition with no problems of psionics meshing with the rest of the system. No "face/decker" problem. No magic/psionics transparency issues. And spell points all ready exist in the DMG.

I know I am a minority.

I want the transparency issues.

Personally, I hope for both a separate class, and a series of subclasses (including a psionic monk, paladin, and sorcerer subclass to go along with the GOO warlock).

I don't particularly want a separate Psion class, and I know I would never include it in any of my games that I run. I just don't care for it, and, as far as I'm concerned, the Sorcerer has absorbed everything unique about the 3e/4e psion except some spells (which can always be added in) and crystals (which are also easily added in as magic items / equipment). Not as familiar with 2e psion, but I'm still ambivalent about it. In my games, I would be more than happy to put in several subclasses that used psionic abilities.

Now, I feel that, first and foremost, one should design the Psion for its fans. So, there should be one just for that, even if I don't hold high hopes for it. However, I also want something for those of us who DON'T want it to be a separate class. A lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth from psions trying to be so different from everyone else - there's a lot of games that won't touch it if it tries to be so different. Yes, its different from arcane and divine magic. But I don't think we have "divine" and "arcane" classes anymore - we have the cleric and wizard, and then a bunch of others who are different from both.

So, I feel we should have our cake and eat it to. Or, more plainly, we should have two sets of Psions. One is a full class that want that, and it feature predominantly in games that want to make an issue of it. And then a set of subclasses for those that don't want to include an entire different class into the game for those who want to dabble in psionics without it being a huge deal in their game, or who feel its too sci-fi to be in a fantasy setting, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads