• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics: great taste or better system?

Crothian

First Post
Psionics is a neat idea, but I just feel the mechancis are to similiar to magic. So, it feels the same. Even the extra fluff in the book really doiesn't make it seem the psionics are different then magic. I don't think the mechanics are that great, just versatile. So, one day perhpas I'll get a D&D game with psionics I like.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Kahuna Burger said:
I'd rather see the psionics system as the core magic system and another, more "psychic feeling" mechanic for psionics.

Is there a published game that comes closer to the "psychic feeling" you're looking for?

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
I really love the crunch of the XPH. But, I also like the feel of Psionics. I guess what I like about it is that Psionics DON’T feel like science to me.

The current magic system is about remembering or knowing how to manipulate some external forces. We used to even call it memorizing spells. You mix some bat guano, say the right words, and make the right gestures, and BOOM, no more mooks.

But Psionics feels like it’s coming from an internal force. That really fits the (Wuxia theme) world I am building right now. I want magic to be something personal, something that comes from within.

But, in the end, I think that really cool crunch is what will keep me firmly in the “We should ditch the old magic system and make one like the XPH” camp.

-Tatsu

fafhrd

First Post
Emirikol said:
2. Diversity of spells (uhm I mean psionics) is pretty much combat oriented so there's not much else to do with psionics.
Really? Are you using combat in a very loose sense? A lot of the positive stuff I hear about psionics relates to their ability to uncover info, and how they can work in subtle, non-lethal ways and still get what they want.

I'm hoping that in 4E they do a couple things:
* All magic is 'arcane' but people just cast in different ways
* There is just one giant spell list
* They use the flexibility of the psionics system.

Now those are some ideas I can really get behind. :D

Psion

Adventurer
fafhrd said:
Would it be fair to say that your views on the utility of the magic system is that it serves as a sort of kiddy pool for players, and as players grow more adventuresome, those with a proclivity toward the mystical artes will graduate over to psionics?

I dunno. I know people who rarely play wizards and find them challenging in and of themselves.

But essentially, yeah.

Do you ever prohibit psionic PCs for the reason that you like to save those unusual powers for the bad guys, villain classes if you will?

Nope. I think psionics are cool enough that when players embrace it, it's a good thing.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Henry said:
Is there a published game that comes closer to the "psychic feeling" you're looking for?
well, on a house rules thread where I described what I was looking for, the Green Ronin book was meantioned as a possible good fit, but I never got around to buying it to investigate this. So "maybe". ;)

I like the xph point system and could see it replace sorcerers since I feel they got short shrift. Wizards won't go anywhere as their flexibility is necessary. I like the psion/wizard/warlock arcane triumvirate opposed by the divine shaman/cleric/warlock (what, a warlock couldn't be of divine descent?).

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Emirikol said:
Yes, I too like the psionics system and I despise munchkin-point-based-systems. There are two things that I don't like about the psionics:

1. DM's wouldn't shun it if it were just set up as "Magic is magic is magic." Psionics is mental magic.

The default assumption is that magic is magic is magic. Psionics is magic. It fails in antimagic fields and is deflected by SR. What more do you want?
2. Diversity of spells (uhm I mean psionics) is pretty much combat oriented so there's not much else to do with psionics.

There are a few nice little gems here and there, but for the most part, yeah.

Aaron L

Hero
Kahuna Burger said:
I like the psionics system as a magic system, but dislike the mechanics as applied to psionics. :confused: I'd rather see the psionics system as the core magic system and another, more "psychic feeling" mechanic for psionics.

I CMPLETELY understand what you mean. Taking time to activate your psychic powers, instead of having them activate reactively, always irkedme. With the introduction of the Immediate Action, tho, and all of the reflexive powers now, it really really works for me.

If only they would made used it more. Some reflexive "sensitive" powers would have been great.

Remove ads