Psionics Lovers: Hyperconscious/Untapped Potential Discussion

Bacris

First Post
In defense of the artists, some of the pics came out very washed out...

My next "big" project is likely going to be an overhaul on the layout (I've been noticing little things as I've actually been using the book that I want to fix, as well), including increasing the contrast on Kevin's pictures.

I personally thought most of the pics came out great, although I'll admit the style might not be for everyone :) And the pathos dragon is definitely my favorite picture of any Dreamscarred Press work to date... although there are some very close seconds :)

Solarious

Explorer
In my defense, I got spoiled by browsing DeviantArt's ultra-talented producers of visual candy. They've got the internet art market cornered, hand over fist, in terms of free, fairly easy, and accessable.

The art you guys got was like... going from Mona Lisa back to caveman fingerpainting again. :uhoh: It was like screaming in a dungeon, no one could hear the horror that the pictures inspired until it showed up in your face and ripped it off. In itty-bitty confetti pieces. Over 5 seperate 1 hour intervals. To the music of fingernails on chalkboard. :eek:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Hey, thanks all for the replies. I do really appreciate them.

As for the art, when I finally get a look at Untapped Potential I'll have to decide for myself.

Psion

Adventurer
They are both good psionics resources. However, I consider Hyperconscious the more essential of the two, and use it constantly.

The main thing that Hyperconscious delivers is the mindscapes psionic combat system. This goes a long way in making psionics feel different than magic and adding a unique feel to a psionics campaign. It's very simple to use in play. Fortunately, Untapped Potential supports this system, but you gotta have Hyperconscious first, naturally.

I find the PrCs in hyperconscious very interesting, especially the astral zealot, crystal proselyte, and chakra savant. The ghostbreaker comes across a bit strong.

The adventure is interesting if you are following the "dark plea" plot of Cordell's (also referred to in When the Sky Falls).

Regarding Untapped Potential... I set the bar on new base classes pretty high, and neither the devoted psion or the marksman made the cut in my game. The society mind, however, is a pretty slick concept that really plugs into what I think the idea of psionics is about.

The thing that I really dig about Untapped Potential, however, is the treatment of the psionic classes. I really like that they filled out substitution levels and racial paragons for the psionic races... it really helps round them out and give them identity nicely.

Remove ads