• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics query : Time regression

Dr_Rictus

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
IME buying 5 stat-boosting items is simply too much. Not even the monk or paladin has to do that.

Who's talking about buying 5 stat-boosting items? You're the first one who's said anything about that. I'm talking about, during character creation, thinking that you might want to be able to use even the simplest telepathy powers by the time you're 18th level. It's not like you don't get a choice about which stats to dump, and 11 is not all that high.

You were making some big assumptions about the psion's Charisma scores.

Getting a Cha of 11 is easy, a Cha of 13 is more difficult, a Cha of 16 ... well, you see where this is going.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
You were making some big assumptions about the psion's Charisma scores.

Getting a Cha of 11 is easy, a Cha of 13 is more difficult, a Cha of 16 ... well, you see where this is going.

An 11 is all you need for lesser mind link, and given the way psions can toss off 1st-level powers, that's all you need to keep in contact with your whole party.

I don't see how being able to do something that is "easy" is a "big assumption."

Basically, I don't see any need to draw the usual arguments about "multiple ability dependency" (which I happen to think has more to do with the numerical lack of high-level powers to choose from than any natural right of psions to access all of the disciplines) into a discussion of a mere 1st-level power.

Last edited:

<turning spotlight back on question at hand for a moment>

So, I take it that most gamers don't like the power, mainly because of the need to be a CPA with the numbers.

Got any good ideas for a psion with 9th level + powers instead of Time Regression?

Thanks again.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Time Regression works great in non-combat situations.

Imagine that you are going into a situation where you know that the first few words you say could make or break negotiations.

Or that you're about to burst through a door and nothing you've done has shown you what is on the other side.

Or that someone is about to try something difficult and dangerous (but also quick).

Time Regression allows you to prepare to reset the scene. Since you always have the option of interupting your own casting or manifestation, if things work out, you just stop. No harm done.

DC

Remove ads