• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics- Where to Start?

redmagerush

First Post
If I want to introduce Psionics to a game, what is the first book I should get?

The Psionics Handbook seems to be the starting point, but I think it is a 3.0 book.

I know the Expanded Psionics Handbook is for 3.5, but does it have all the info in it I need to run Psionics or does it require the earlier book?

And where does the Complete Psion fit into everything?

Goobermunch

Explorer
redmagerush said:
If I want to introduce Psionics to a game, what is the first book I should get?

The Psionics Handbook seems to be the starting point, but I think it is a 3.0 book.

I know the Expanded Psionics Handbook is for 3.5, but does it have all the info in it I need to run Psionics or does it require the earlier book?

And where does the Complete Psion fit into everything?

The Expanded Psionics Handbook is all you'll need for 3.5.

The Complete Psion is a nightmare that's best avoided. There are one or two feats in it worth considering, and some of the powers aren't bad. But all told, it's one of WotC's worst supplements.

YMMV.

--G

drdevoid

Explorer
The 3.0 Psionics Handbook doesn't help you at all.

The Expanded Psionics Handbook is widely held as a dramatic improvement and as mentioned is nearly all you'll need. You can get quite a bit of the XPH (but not all) here

redmagerush

First Post
Awesome. Thanks guys. I was looking over them last night at my FLGS after DnD Gameday and wasn't sure what I needed. I want to use them mainly for Eberron using the Sarlona continent.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
redmagerush said:
Awesome. Thanks guys. I was looking over them last night at my FLGS after DnD Gameday and wasn't sure what I needed. I want to use them mainly for Eberron using the Sarlona continent.
I've heard good things about Secrets of Sarlona, but can't vouch for it personally.

Cheers, -- N

redmagerush

First Post
Yeah, I was flipping through Secrets of Sarlona last night and was like "wait a minute, I should probably get some Psionics rules first".

Nifft said:
I've heard good things about Secrets of Sarlona, but can't vouch for it personally.

Cheers, -- N
Its an excellent book.

Sarlonna is a very dangerous place, but it looks so peaceful on the surface ....

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Goobermunch said:
The Expanded Psionics Handbook is all you'll need for 3.5.

The Complete Psion is a nightmare that's best avoided. There are one or two feats in it worth considering, and some of the powers aren't bad. But all told, it's one of WotC's worst supplements.

YMMV.

--G
Seconded. If you *really* want a supplement, get Hyperconsciousness. But you only need the Expanded Psionocs Handbook.

Cheers, LT.

Goobermunch

Explorer
redmagerush said:

Just beware of adamantine bodied warforged psywars with expansion, claws of the beast, bite of the wolf, tail of the dragon, and multi-attack. They're like self-propelled fireballs.

--G

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads