• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

psionics without psionic combat

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
I don't like psionics in fantasy game, but one of our player want to use.
I dislike psionic combat most, so I want to omit it.
Are there any problem if I do so? (Introduce psionics without psionic combat)

And, though I don't like psionics still, psychic warrier seems cool.
I want arcane version of her. Any suggestion?

nharwell

Explorer
IMHO, dropping psionic combat goes a long way towards making psionics viable (I would also suggest using the Bruce Cordell's revisions in If Thoughts Could Kill). This topic been beaten to death on the WOTC boards, but I feel that psionic combat is an uneccesary detriment -- displays and limited power selection limit a psion sufficiently, I'd say.

Kamard

First Post
I find that psionic combat is silly, so I dropped it from my game.

It hasn't hurt anything... one less thing for the psis to spend PP's on.

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
Thank you for replys, and I'm happy with your opinions.We'll use psionics without psionic combat.
Of coure we'll go with "psionics-magic transparency".
Actally, we treat psionics as another kind of magic.
So there are Arcane, Divine, and Something.

I need good name for Something, but I'm Japanese...

Mind Magic?
Mental Magic?
Psychic Magic?

wolfpunk

First Post
I must be the only guy in the world that likes psionic combat. I dropped everything abut psionics but psionic combat. I gave the psionic combat ability to nobles in my homebrew campaign, sort of in reaction to the Robin Hobb books. Anyway, it works great, nobles get a little ability to cow commoners to their whims.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Arcane, Divine, and...

Inherent.

Pyschic.

Mental.

Those could all work. :)

And, yeah, psionic combat really isn't that key, since it's not that useful on non-psionic things anyway. But I do enjoy it's change-of-pace, personally.

hong

WotC's bitch
Syunsuke said:
I need good name for Something, but I'm Japanese...

Mind Magic?
Mental Magic?
Psychic Magic?

Ki. Or Chi, if you prefer.

Notice how a lot of the psionic feats emulate wuxia stunts -- jumping all over the place, running up walls, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads