• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psyched about adventures

replicant2

First Post
The Charles Ryan thread has got me excited about the renewed interest in producing adventures, even amid all the D20 doom and gloom predictions and the death of the small publisher commentary.

In my opinion a huge part of what makes D&D "D&D" are the excellent library of modules that have sprung up around the sourcebooks.

Default D&D to me will always be Greyhawk, populated by the worlds and lands described by modules like the Desert of Desolation series, the Slavers series, Descent into the Depths and Vault of the Drow, Tomb of the Lizard King, and Against the Cult of the Reptile God. So much of my great old memories of AD&D are tied into these modules. Playing them was great, and even when I'm not playing, simply reading them makes for a great source of fun and inspiration.

I also find them to be a wonderful shared source of experience -- players you might not know have similar wonderful stories when talking about these modules. They build community.

Lest people think I'm all about nostalgia, I have been impressed with a few of the 3E offerings as well. Kenzer's Coin trilogy was well-done, Death in Freeport is a great module, and I really like what I've seen of Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics (I own Aerie of the Crow God and Bloody Jack's Gold).

Let's hope the end result of all the discussion is a renewed commitment to high quality adventures. I for one am looking forward to it.

scourger

Explorer
replicant2 said:
I also find them to be a wonderful shared source of experience -- players you might not know have similar wonderful stories when talking about these modules. They build community.

Let's hope the end result of all the discussion is a renewed commitment to high quality adventures. I for one am looking forward to it.

Hear, hear. I'm sorry I missed the 3.0 adventure path. A fight between 2 putative DMs that were in our group at the time forestalled them. Now, I'll probably never get to play them.

CalicoDave

Explorer
I'm looking forward to see what WoTC produces for their adventures. What I really hope is that they do another adventure path or something similar, like Shackled City.

I've got the hard back and it's very impressive. I've basically heard nothing but good things about the Shackled City, so hopefully the good press might spur the development of other book-length campaigns.

Remove ads