• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psychic Assassin

CustosObscurus

First Post
I read your suggestions, and this is what I came up with:

Level Special
1 Sharpen Blade, Bonus Psionic Feat
2 Sneak Attack +1d6
3 Evasion
4 Mind Blade 1d3
5 Sneak Attack +2d6
6 Uncanny Dodge
7 Free Draw
8 Mind Blade 2d3, Sneak Attack +3d6
9 Throw Mind Blade
10 Improved Uncanny Dodge
11 Sneak Attack +4d6
12 Mind Blade 3d3
13 Improved Evasion
14 Sneak Attack +5d6
15 Imbed Power
16 Mind Blade 4d3
17 Sneak Attack +6d6
18 Hide in Plain Sight
19 Knife to the Soul
20 Mind Blade 5d3, Sneak Attack +7d6, Death Attack

All the same abilities, but reorganized. Hopefully that reorganization makes the class a bit more balanced.

EDIT: I also changed the power point progression.

Level Power Points
1 0
2 1
3 2
4 4
5 5
6 8
7 11
8 13
9 16
10 19
11 25
12 30
13 36
14 41
15 47
16 55
17 64
18 72
19 81
20 90

It's (approximately) 70% of the Psychic Warrior's PP progression at each level.

EDIT 2: Here's the power list I came up with. I tried to get the powers that seemed... rogue-y.

1- Burst, Catfall, Chameleon, Compression, Conceal Thoughts, Control Light, Distract, Elfsight, Empty Mind, Float, Force Screen, Inertial Armor, Precognition (Defensive), Precognition (Offensive), Prevenom Weapon, Synesthete
2- Animal Affinity, Body Equilibrium, Cloud Mind, Concealing Amorpha, Psionic Darkvision, Dimension Swap, Hustle, Psionic Levitate, Prowess, Sustenance, Thought Shield, Wall Walker
3- Greater Concealing Amorpha, Danger Sense, Dimension Slide, Ectoplasmic Form, Empathic Feedback, Escape Detection, Mental Barrier, Ubiquitous Vision
4- Psionic Dimension Door, Psionic Freedom of Movement, Inertial Barrier, Steadfast Perception

Most of them are from the Psychic Warrior list, but some are Psion/Wilder powers.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
CustosObscurus said:
EDIT 2: Here's the power list I came up with. I tried to get the powers that seemed... rogue-y.

Now that you know how to edit, would you be so kind as to simply replace the class in the top post (instead of re-pasting it at the bottom)?

Makes it easier to know what we're responding to.

Thanks, -- N

KingOfChaos

First Post
The class looks good..could use some more polishing, but I am not real picky :)

I wanted to ask if you'd like to write new material for Realms of Evil? Seems you already have the 'evil' down, seeing as you created an assassin class. I am always looking for new talent to showcase on my front page and I think you have potential :)

You can e-mail me at RoETyrant@aol.com or just reply to this message. I wanted to PM this to you, but you seem to have PMs turned off or are somehow barred from using them.

Bront

The man with the probe
You can't send or recieve a PM unless you're a paying member, and even then you can turn it off. Generaly not a good thing to count on using.

Bront

The man with the probe
I like the new power list, I think that helps. I think it's well done. My only worry is the mind blade gaining dice, but it's d3, so not a big deal. I would suggest perhaps having the blade work similarly to the current Mind Blade class, perhaps allowing the classes to stack a bit. Perhaps he gets the mind Blade at L4, and continues to gain the other powers of the mindblade (larger blade, enhancements, ect) at L-3 compaired to the Mind Blade, and you can note that they stack for that purpose.

Not sure how well that works, but it seems cool.

Another odd thought is to compress this into a PrC, but I think it's fine as a base class.

CustosObscurus

First Post
Thanks for the offer, KoC. I sent you an email about it just a few minutes ago.

Bront - Thanks for all the thought you've put into this. It's nice having reliable sound boards to bounce ideas off. As for your two ideas/issues:

1. The damage dice. I worked out a progression, and even at level 20 with a +4 Cha modifier, it only deals 9-19 damage. If the race has a +2 racial modifier and the player pumps all their ability points into it, it will only do 5d3+7 , or 12-22 damage. That's a good chunk of damage, but it isn't ridiculous.

2. Compatability between stalker and soulknife. As obvious as the inspiration is between the two, I think making it stackable would be difficult. Perhaps too difficult. I think that they should just continue as separate but familiar entities.

3. Prestige Class. Originally, this class was just a variation on the 3.0 soulknife prestige class. However, I had so many ideas for it that I couldn't fit it into just 10 levels.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'm going to show my DM the class as it is now. However, don't let that keep you from making suggestions. Anything that helps my design skills improve can't be bad, right?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads