• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ptolus Centaur's.

punkorange

First Post
Hey, I am starting a 1st level game in Ptolus, but I am allowing characters to choose the ptolus races with level adjustments with the exception that they still start at 0 level and therefore won't level as quickly as the rest of the party at first.

One of my players was planning to make a centaur which was level adjustment +2, and therefore a 3rd level character with 1 class level that couldn't level up to 2 until the rest of the party hit 4.

Then I noticed the 4 monstrous hit dice and levels that the centaur starts with. Should I just disallow this race, or would it be feasable to let him do what he had planned without the monstrous hit dice/skills?

Thanks,

PoC

Nyaricus

First Post
Disallow it; centaurs are noted for being a nice race to play in reagrds to power level (though not overbearing, just nicely balanced, I suppose) and they'd be many levels-worth over what the other players are at in regards to their power.

Tell that player to simply put that concept on the backburner for now, since he'd overshadow the other players by a long shot. There are plenty of other great concepts they could try, and simply encourage them to see through with something else :)

cheers,
--N

Aus_Snow

First Post
Or just go the Savage Species (racial class progression) route.

That way, you can start the character at 1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever you like, they get to level up with the others, and (theoretically) it'll all be well-balanced. (-ish) :)

pedr

Explorer
On this, does anyone know of (or feel like inventing) a monstrous class progression for the Litorian? I know it's only +1 LA IIRC (my big book's upstairs) but it'd be nice to be able to allow players in the campaign I'm considering to play an ECL 1 Litorian. How about the lizardmen whose name I can't recall right now?

Tharen the Damned

First Post
A Centaur has many disadvantages:
1) He is large and uses more space. In small dungeons he has to squeeze himself through constantly

2) Try to climb a wall

3) Try to get decent armor... sorry barding. Has to be custom made and will be expensive.

4) Centaurs are regarded as little mor than savages by many other people. They do not have the best reputation.

I think these balance the 4 HD nicely.

Btw. the Centaur doe not have to have 1lvl. in a PC Class. He is just an unclassed "monster" until the PCs hit lvl. 3 in which he can advance in a PC class.

As a DM I would disallow a Centaur as PC. But that is just MHO.

The Lost Muse

First Post
After seeing Chronicles of Narnia, I've had visions of playing a centaur - but the game would have to start off at a sufficiently high level so that I would be about the same ECL as the other players; otherwise it's just not fair.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Beckett said:
Races of Wild has the 3.5 Centaur progression.
Ah, good to know.

Timmundo said:
After seeing Chronicles of Narnia, I've had visions of playing a centaur - but the game would have to start off at a sufficiently high level so that I would be about the same ECL as the other players; otherwise it's just not fair.
Then check out the previous posts in this thread, re: Savage Species / Races of the Wild. They offer an easy, well-established solution to this fairly common dilemma.

spectre72

First Post
We had a player who wanted to play a centaur and he was allowed (using savage species at the time).

Almost as usefull as trying to lead a horse everywhere in the dungeon.

At times we had to use a block and tackle to lower him further into the dungeon.

Has some huge benefits, but IMHO was more trouble than he was worth.

I can imagine a centaur trying to climb stairs designed for humans in the city.

Many places would probably be too narrow.

So from experience I have seen it done, and would not recommend it again.

Scott

Remove ads