• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ptolus in Eberron

The Lost Muse

First Post
I too, am placing Ptolus in the Mournlands, on the peninsula facing to the east. However, instead of retconning it's presence, at some point the players will witness (or hear about) a spire slowly rising out of the ground. Then the city will slowly appear. But only the buildings. Then, when the 13 moons align, the city will come to life. *lightning strikes in background*

Kesh

First Post
And you can have the Mourning be a side effect of "summoning" Ptolus into Eberron. Whatever ritual/artifact/act of a god/planar conjunction triggered the event, it decimated Cyre in preparation for Ptolus to be merged into Eberron.

Klaus

First Post
I'd place it in Sarlona, with the Comissar being very loyal to the Inspired, or maybe the Spire itself dirupts psionic domination somewhat.

BOAZ

First Post
Although I kinda like the idea of having Ptolus and the Spire "appear" or "summond" into the mournlands how would you *really* deal with it? I mean it's a living city, with thousands of people, how would they react? Not to mention all the *very* high powered NPC's of that city...

Vurt

First Post
I'm not really sure I would place Ptolus somewhere in Eberron, the sheer number of adventurers roaming around the place, and the relatively high level of many NPCs just doesn't fit the Eberron vibe. That said, if I were going to merge the two settings, I would probably use it to replace Ashtakala. It would take some work and revisioning of the surrounding area, maybe somebody in the past decided to be a bit more proactive about guarding the rakshasa rajahs, or maybe their minions thought more chaos would eventually ensue if there was a city-worth of sacrifices just waiting to be snacked upon when one of their lords eventually broke free, but I can't think of a better place for a city sitting smack on top of a "whole lotta bad".

Cheers,
Vurt

The Lost Muse

First Post
BOAZ said:
Although I kinda like the idea of having Ptolus and the Spire "appear" or "summond" into the mournlands how would you *really* deal with it? I mean it's a living city, with thousands of people, how would they react? Not to mention all the *very* high powered NPC's of that city...

Obviously, the people in the city would be scared out of their minds, and the more powerful NPC's would be trying to fix it. I have been toying with the idea of having Ptolus being fully present in both Eberron and Pramael for a period of time. (I must confess that I need to read the book before I actually make my mind up on this one.)

As for how the people would react, I imagine a few effects would be felt:

1) Lots of sacrifices and prayers offered to Lothian (is that the right name? the main religion)

2) Lots of casual members of the chaos cults either bolting or getting deeper into the fold.

3) The Chaos Cults proclaming this event as a new age of Chaos and doing something.

To my mind, the chaos cults and the Cults of the Dragon Below are fairly similiar in ideology, so some of the themes present in Ptolus would be maintained in Eberron. Likewise, I can see a place for the Galchutt in Eberron without disrupting the cosmology too much. I will post more thoughts tomorrow.

The Lost Muse

First Post
My original idea was to have the city appear - fully formed, but remain devoid of life until the moons aligned - and then have the population either magically copied or transferred over at that point.

For the denizens of Ptolus, there would be a gradual realization that they "aren't in Kansas anymore" while the rest of the world would gradually realize that Ptolus has arrived. I believe this would be of particular interest to the Prince of Cyre, as in theory his Kingdom has just expanded several-fold. (Of course, almost every organization would be interested in the sudden appearance of a city in the Mournland. The dragons of Argonessen would either believe that a prophecy had been fulfilled, although I prefer the idea of it appearing to their complete surprise.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads