• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ptolus: Midwood - "The Dark Waters of Moss Pond"

Trench

First Post
This is the first of a string of incidents, where Renraw's greed and arrogance causes a creature that would normally have left us alone, attack.

And what's even more galling, the first of many incidents that Renraw is infuriatingly able to pull our fat out of the fire.

Renraw Kem

First Post
Whiz said:
"My mother would have been deathly afraid of giant spiders," Renraw whispers, pointing the light in the direction Kat scans. "And I imagine they don't much appreciate having their legs plucked off one by one. But more importantly ..."
Ok, this makes NO sense out of context. Heheheheheh.

Renraw Kem

First Post
Trench said:
And what's even more galling, the first of many incidents that Renraw is infuriatingly able to pull our fat out of the fire.
I must be remembering this adventure differently from you. Now I have to go reread it on our other board...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Although some people decry 3E for setting RULES for doing everything, I still DM the way I DMed in 1E: If you're in a party without a rogue (or a cleric, in this case), and you want to disable a trap, obviously it's riskier than if you had a rogue (witness Ragglus' bang-up method of trap detection), but it's still got to be possible. Saying "nope, sorry, the RAW say you automatically fail to disarm the trap" is not just silly (although I'm not sure the RAW actually says that, so don't punch me in the neck), but it stops play for no good reason.

This was the first time anyone in the campaign had hit a whole slew of traps (other than Renraw almost willfully getting hit by the ray of frost trap in Fibber's Cairn), and it kind of pissed off the players a little bit, in large part because the traps were one right after another. While realistic, it's not terribly rewarding unless there's a rogue along.

There's another trap-laden module in the campaign's future -- they haven't hit it yet -- and I will probably remove the less interesting ones and replace them with either a wandering moster of the same CR as the trap or nothing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads