• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Ptolus] The Power Level of NPCs

tenkar

Old School Blogger
sckeener said:
About the only reason I like point buy is for all the players to have equal points to play the game.

I guess I could have everyone roll and use the roll that was highest....admittedly that would work only until I had to add a new player.

Who said everyone has to be equal?

Who says equal stats makes equal characters?

Point buy is great if you are in a position to take your character from one DM's game to another, but I really see little use for it in a regular campaign.

Eh, maybe I'm just showing my age and my 1st edition roots. Sometimes 3rd ed and its vanilla balanced character expectations lose some of the specialness of the PCs in my eyes. How many characters with point build ever have an odd number in a stat? ;)

Stalker0

Legend
I will say that the stats do make a big difference at low levels.

I promise you a warrior 2 with 18 str, 18 con, 14 dex will be harder in general than a guy with 16 str, 14 con, and 12 dex. At low levels, stats can make a lot of difference. Once you get to about level 4 they don't matter as much.

Crothian

First Post
tenkar said:
How many characters with point build ever have an odd number in a stat? ;)

My none spellcasters do. Spellcasters being Wizard, Sorcerer, Clerics, and Druids. THough it does depend on the game as well.

painandgreed

First Post
tenkar said:
This is why I don't like "point buy": it brings out the min-maxer in people.

If PC's were rolling their stats these high "point buy" numbers wouldn't be an issue.

As a 1E bred dice roll kinda guy, I could agree with you on the NPCs, but not on the generic mooks like the watch. One expects NPCs who have proven themselves to be above average, but not the average joe who hasn't. If there is much interaction between the players and the guards, it will become known that they are ubermensch. Indeed, anybody growing up in the city would probably know that the city guard are faster, stronger, more durable, more intelligent, and wiser than most other people in the city. I coudl see that for their officers, but not for the average dude who doesn't even rate a PC class.

D'karr

Adventurer
painandgreed said:
If there is much interaction between the players and the guards, it will become known that they are ubermensch. Indeed, anybody growing up in the city would probably know that the city guard are faster, stronger, more durable, more intelligent, and wiser than most other people in the city. I coudl see that for their officers, but not for the average dude who doesn't even rate a PC class.

If you go take a look at the Necropolis "District" you'll see an entry of who takes care of any incursions from that "district". I believe the City Watch is the first line of defense. Considering the creatures that "live" in the Necropolis I can see how even the average City Watch guard IS a cut above the average citizen.

Does that mean that the players should know that? I'd say only if they are natives of Ptolus or through the rumor mill after they've spent some time in Ptolus. And if the low-level PCs are stupid enough to get into altercations with the City Watch that require the Watch to use their above average stats then the PCs deserve to get their collective asses handed to them.

mhensley

First Post
D'karr said:
Considering the creatures that "live" in the Necropolis I can see how even the average City Watch guard IS a cut above the average citizen.

If they are better than the average citizen, shouldn't they be Fighters instead of Warriors?

Remove ads