• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Published Adventures You Have Run in 5e

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Many more conversions then I would expect, and not many 3rd party 5e adventures. Speaking of conversions...

B1 Into the Unknown
B4 Lost City
X1 Ilse of Dread
X2 Castle Amber

CoS (bits here and there)

Forge of Fury from TotYP

One question this begs is "what do you get from a module?" Current monster stats clearly aren't the priority. And is it easier to convert an old module then trying to adapt one of the newer hard backs?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
How does it play in 5E? I've heard that adventure could become a gombat grind in 3.x, so very curious.

It was grindy. Hommlet + Moathouse are good in their various incarnations, but the crater ridge mines went on and on, with not enough to really liven them up besides combat encounters. I was relived when my players figured out how to use waterwalk to get to the inner part of the crater-temple.

My guess is that it would play better in 5e, as it just tends to go faster, and characters are a little more robust and hence could make it through larger chunks of temple crawling.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'm running Hoard of the Dragon Queen right now. I'm adding in the Forge of Fury from Yawning Portal in Chapter 4, which'll tie into a couple of meta-plots I've added to make the adventure feel more like Eberron (one dealing with one of my Warlock's patrons, the other with the cultists having access to byeshk weaponry that shouldn't actually exist).

the Jester

Legend
B4 Lost City

That's one I have been thirsty to run for a while now, but it has an established location in my campaign and it's nowhere near the current pcs.

One question this begs is "what do you get from a module?" Current monster stats clearly aren't the priority. And is it easier to convert an old module then trying to adapt one of the newer hard backs?

That's a great question (or two questions)!

I get ideas and inspiration, and cool things to run that I didn't set up. I often snatch bits and pieces from adventures- anything from a piece of lore, single trap, npc idea, or encounter setup to a full dungeon or location.

As to the matter of whether it's easier to convert an older module or adapt one into my campaign, I'd say it's all the same to me. It's easy as butter to convert to 5e on the fly except in the case of some very complicated material that I want to keep thematically similar (e.g. the doomdreamers). And fitting a canned adventure into my world usually requires significant adaptation no matter what edition it's from.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
As a DM:

Lost Mines of Phandelver
Death House from CoS
Most of the free preview part of SKT (A Great Upheaval)

AL:
Most of the season 5, tier one adventures

3rd party:
Tyrant of Zhentil Keep
The Death Knight's Squire
Bad Apples
Cryptic Entry
An Axe to Grind
Bandit's Nest
Mischief Makers
A Boy and his Modron
Into the Belly of the Beast
House of the Midnight Violet
The Night of the Rise
Temple of the Basilisk Cult
King of the Cats
Tower of the Mad Mage
Wizard in a Bottle

As a player:
ToA (currently playing)

3rd party:
Cellar of Death

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
My 5e DM'ing era consisted of Hoard of the Dragon Queen, a 3.5 Goodman games module (the Scaly God) adapted, and Out of the Abyss. I've moved to a different system now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads