• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PUBLISHING a Monster Manual

Romus

First Post
I have access to a few good artists and writers and was thinking it would be cool to do a monster book or Book of Bad Guys for d20. I was wondering if any of you have an idea of how much it would cost to produce such a book and how to get it to the shops. The ideal format is hardback, full color. Also, if that doesn't seen doable, how good is the PDF market, is it even worth putting out material PDF?

Crothian

First Post
No idea myself, but there is a publisher forum elsewhere on the boards and they should be able to help you out. Best of luck!!

Sir Whiskers

First Post
I can't speak to the cost issue, but for myself, I have plenty of monster books. Once I add templates and such, I don't really need more. OTOH, well-written, interesting, sometimes offbeat npc's (whether humanoid or monstrous) would definitely be worth a look. Just my two cents...

Romus

First Post
Sir Whiskers said:
I can't speak to the cost issue, but for myself, I have plenty of monster books. Once I add templates and such, I don't really need more. OTOH, well-written, interesting, sometimes offbeat npc's (whether humanoid or monstrous) would definitely be worth a look. Just my two cents...

yeah I would much rather do an NPC book of interesting bad guys. It would be much funner to make.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
You'll need to figure out how many pages this thing is going to be. Generally, 750-1000 words per page is the norm, but with a monster book a lot more space is going to be taken by illustrations and margins. Calculate how much you'll pay for art, layout, graphic design, and editing. Then get printer quotes. You'll also have to budget for shipping costs, advertising, LLC set up, etc. Of course, you'll need a Web site, too, if you don't already have one.

I wouldn't suggest doing this on your own. You might want to consider submitting your idea to an existing publisher instead. You'll most likely make money that way and get your book in the hands of more people than you would doing it all yourself.

If it's under 64 pages, I'd go for a PDF. Otherwise, it's too large for most people to want to download. I don't know too much about the PDF market though.

Remove ads