Puerto Ricans/Boricuas on EN World

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Okay, from the Coqui thread, here we go.

I'm Puerto Rican, de San Juan, but I moved to Miami in 1995. I think it's awesome to find other puertorriqueños in EN World! I think we may have an ENWorld Meet-up in the making next time I go to the island.

Ok, switching to Spanish now:

A los que todavia estan en la isla, donde ustedes compran sus productos de juego? Tengo curiosidad. Yo tengo un amigo que tiene una tienda de juegos en Reparto Metropolitano, pero me gustaria escuchar algunas respuestas antes de hacerle el pimpeo.

Translation:
To those still on the island, where do you buy your gaming products? I'm curious. I have a friend who owns a gaming store in Reparto Metropolitano, but I'd like to read some replies before I pimp his store.

Hasta luego!

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, my maternal grandfather was from Aricebo...making me a Quarter-rican. :)

Sorry- not skilled enough spanish! (Ich spreche Deutsch.)

Dingleberry

First Post
My wife's half Puerto Rican - I've been to visit famliy in Boqueron plenty of times. Love the island.

I'm totally stealing "Quarter-rican" for my son. :)

Arravis

First Post
I'm from PR, born in Rio Piedras. I moved to the states when I was 10 and I've sadly lost many of my once "l33t" spanish skills. I can understand it fairly well, but when I speak I sound like a tourist. Thankfully, everyone in my family speaks english so it's not much of a problem :).

Anyway, I now live in Huntsville and work for NASA. Due to the Arecibo Observatory and Colsa (A PR-family owned company), there is a rather large community of Puerto Ricans here. None other than myself game though, as far as I know, unless you count Puerto Ricans by marriage, like my wife, and my sister-in-law ;).

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Aqui Estoy!

I grew up in Sunset Park, Brooklyn in the 70's and 80's where not only was everyone Puerto Rican, they were all from Moca or Mayaguez!

But not my family, they lived in San Turce, Bayamon and Ciales.

Until recently mi abuela lived in Toa Alta, but we brought her back to NYC to care for her, but you know how it is - the summers spent in P.R. as a kid make for great memories.

Oh, and I made the joke about Dominicans in the other thread, b/c in my younger days a lot of my gaming buddies were from D.R.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm totally stealing "Quarter-rican" for my son.

Cool by me! I hope it catches on!

BTW, I have dubbed my Mom- who is of course 1/2 Puerto Rican- a "Sorta-Rican."

You can use that too...I hope your wife has as good a sense of humor as my Mom! ;)

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Dingleberry said:
My wife's half Puerto Rican - I've been to visit famliy in Boqueron plenty of times. Love the island.

My situation exaclty - or you are transmitting my thoughts.

I have a good accent for a Yanqui, but it takes me forever to learn to think on my feet in Spanish.

As for those with mixed heritage, I have a friend who emigrated and met her spouse in New York City, their kids are Hunga-ricans.

I remember seeing a store that advertised some gaming things on a trip there, but it was a while ago.

Dingleberry

First Post
Committed Hero said:
As for those with mixed heritage, I have a friend who emigrated and met her spouse in New York City, their kids are Hunga-ricans.
My son is a quarter Puerto Rican, a quarter Italian, a quarter German, an eighth Irish - and the last eighth is northern European mutt. I figure he might be of the generation that simply becomes "American". :)

Remove ads