• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Puerto Rico (Forked from: [Board Games] Settlers of Catan)

Forked from: [Board Games] Settlers of Catan

el-remmen said:
We used to play a lot of Catan, but lately have been playing more Puerto Rico.

The only expansion we ever got to use was the six player version, and while my friend Sean has the sea-farers expansion for like 2 years now, we've still never used.

Hmmm, I guess that is not that helpful, but I do love the game and played a hell of a lot of it at the last Gen Con.

I have to say that Puerto Rico is one of the better games I've never won. I've just never been able to try a strategy that someone else hasn't also decided to try, and as a result I'm always in a rush to get vital buildings or crops before someone else.

Asmor

First Post
Well, it's got something going for it given that it's the top-ranked game on Boardgame Geek. I'm not a huge fan, though I'll play it if someone else wants to. Mostly any enthusiasm I have for it gets quenched immediately by the thought of setting it up, particularly counting out the sla-- I mean, colonists.

I really want to try San Juan.

bobthehappyzombie

First Post
Puerto Rico is my all time favourite boardgame, it allows for a wide range of stratagies and is the least 'broken' game I know.
The expansion actually adds yet another layer of thought to the process, as you now have to start thinking tactically bfore the game even begins... I <3 PR.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
First as for counting out the colonists, if you know how many you have total it is easier to subtract the ones you don't use. :)

Personally, I love the game - and perhaps it is just the three-person games we've been playing lately (I prefer four or five), but it seems that purchasing the hospice at your first opportunity is a road to victory - as is getting a harbor and/or wharf - and obviously, at least one of the big buildings is the way to go near the end.

The university seem fairly worthless, and the construction hut is hardly ever chosen.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
OH!

And as for winning, I have only ever won once - In my circle of gaming friends we joke that I can come in second in any game we play, but never first! :erm:

scitadel

First Post
Well, it's got something going for it given that it's the top-ranked game on Boardgame Geek. I'm not a huge fan, though I'll play it if someone else wants to. Mostly any enthusiasm I have for it gets quenched immediately by the thought of setting it up, particularly counting out the sla-- I mean, colonists.

I really want to try San Juan.
I kind of agree, PR is great but I'm a tad lazy to bring it out. I am much more of a fan of San Juan - it's easier to set-up and take down and it's a nice 'mid-level' strategy game that I can introduce to gamers who have some Euro experience.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
We keep the tiles together in proper order with rubber bands and each of the different chits in their own ziplock bags - makes set up very quick, and clean up relatively quick as each player gets something to put away. . .

I have never considered the set-up or clean up to be that much more than any other game, but then again I am pretty anal about putting away all my games carefully and in an organized way.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I love Puerto Rico. I found a downloadable computer version of it and played several dozen games over a couple of weeks. When it's just one player vs computer opponents the game goes pretty quickly, so it's a good way to learn the ropes.

bobthehappyzombie

First Post
We keep the tiles together in proper order with rubber bands and each of the different chits in their own ziplock bags - makes set up very quick, and clean up relatively quick as each player gets something to put away. . .

I have never considered the set-up or clean up to be that much more than any other game, but then again I am pretty anal about putting away all my games carefully and in an organized way.

Wow, you would hate me at the end of the game we sweep everything into the box, and sort it out next time.

I have the expansion, which amounts to some alternative buildings it only costs a few quid and does add some extra layers of statergy as you select which buildings are in the game at the start.

I find the Hacienda is a good first build, but there are so many options that any stratergy can bear fruit.

Remove ads