• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Putting a positive spin on the PDF debacle

Bishop Odo

Explorer
Positive spin, well I’ll buy the Guild Adventurer 1 to 3 for ROLEMASTER...ha ha...

And on a simpler note, maybe my Forgotten Realms, Code of the Harper is worth $100.00 that was the prePDF eBay price. LOL...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yesterday, I bought the Random Esoteric Creature Generator for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing Games and their Modern Simulacra as well as an issue of Delving Deeper from RPGNow.

Early yesterday, I bought copies of Eldritch Weirdness and City Encounters from the Mythmere Games storefront at Lulu before I knew about the WotC treachery (I'm posting a link here to let people who want to support other publishers know about them).

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Picked up Well_of_the_Twice_Born from RPGNow (through the ENWorld store).

In the future, I will be buying Pathfinder and Trailblazer when they release prior to GenCon, with money that I was going to use to buy the DMG2 and MM2 of another game companies system (IYKWIM, AITYD).

Don't know if I'll actually switch to Pathfinder (probably not, I really like my own houseruled 3.5 system), but I will be purchasing it regardless. Even if it ends up just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

aboyd

Explorer
Can anyone direct me to a PDF that has either of these:

1. Many tables full of names, sorted by race? I suck at inventing names, but feel very strongly that, for example, a gnomish community should have radically different names than a human community. I bought the Toolbox a while ago, and while it has a few tables of names, it's not nearly as awesome as Mongoose's "Ultimate NPCs," which has pages & pages of it. Is Ultimate Toolbox better? Is some other product better?
  2. A good, easy weather calculator? I heard that Wilderness Survival Guide had something like that, but, well... WotC just shut that down. :( So what else is out there? I'd take some tables for easy generation via dice rolls, or I'd take an Excel spreadsheet or something for longer-term planning. Does this exist?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Can anyone direct me to a PDF that has either of these:

1. Many tables full of names, sorted by race? I suck at inventing names, but feel very strongly that, for example, a gnomish community should have radically different names than a human community. I bought the Toolbox a while ago, and while it has a few tables of names, it's not nearly as awesome as Mongoose's "Ultimate NPCs," which has pages & pages of it. Is Ultimate Toolbox better? Is some other product better?
  2. A good, easy weather calculator? I heard that Wilderness Survival Guide had something like that, but, well... WotC just shut that down. :( So what else is out there? I'd take some tables for easy generation via dice rolls, or I'd take an Excel spreadsheet or something for longer-term planning. Does this exist?

Ask and ye shall receive! :)

resistor

First Post
I purchased Savage Worlds and Shaintar, which I've heard good things about as a lighter-but-still-tactical system for fantasy games. I'm also considering picking up True20. I'll also be getting the Dragons Revisited PDF once it's posted. Plus, my newest Paizo AP issue just arrived!

Archon of Light

First Post
Whoops! I didn't realize there was already a thread like this before I posted mine. Maybe that's why it got locked. :erm:

At any rate, I have pledged to make a purchase from at least one of my favorite third party publishers this month -- something I have not done in a long time for financial reasons -- and have been encouraging others to do the same and spread the word. (It's all in the original post, I'm not going to repeat it here.)

Aus_Snow

First Post
I've committed to buying Warriors & Warlocks [for M&M] when that's in print and available here (already bought the PDF, very recently), and the Pathfinder RPG hardcover. Also on the shopping list are some of RPGObjects' Darwin's World (post-apoc d20) titles that recently became available in print. :cool: Oh yeah, and there's Green Ronin's 3rd Era reprinting of d20 books - maybe there are one or two excellent ones I haven't already got. . .

Whatever else looks good, that I'll use, well I'll grab that too. Oh, that includes Cold Black from Sinister Adventures' Dark Horizons line (forgot to mention that one, 'til just now). Note that there aren't many publishers doing this (it's a quote from the product page): 'Purchase a print edition of this Dark Horizon and get PDFs configured for multiple game systems for free. Purchase a PDF and get addtional PDFs compatible with other game systems for free as well.' Pretty awesome. :)

Then there's the matter of the 'old school' stuff - OD&D looks good, in that area. So, a few choice items from Mythmere, and one or two other makers of supps.

One last note. . . How classy is that? I mean, really. :)

Last edited:

fissionessence

First Post
Well, I just bought some more stuff based on new announcements in the publishers & press release forums.

BASH! Basic Action Super Heroes!
Remarkable Races: The Xax
Fantastic Races: The Arak, for D&D 4E

The fact that there's a BASH-related post directly above mine is an interesting coincidence.

~

Remove ads