• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PVP/Penny Arcade 4E Podcast from WotC

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
They sound different to me... maybe that's because I've seen them speaking as well as heard. Anyway, Mike (Gabe) has a somewhat higher voice with a lisp, if that helps.

The_lurkeR

First Post
Bumping because no one had mentioned yet that the second part was up.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080606

It's pretty entertaining to hear the PA guys banter, especially Gabe as a newb. At the same time -- and I feel odd critiquing this -- but the DM'ing seems a little cold to me. It sort of feels like they're just playing a board game.

Obviously this is a one-off ad vehicle for 4E, with the purpose of talking about the changes, etc... plus it can be tough when working with new players who have lots of questions. But I would have thought that they'd put a little more color into it, have fun with the five sense descriptions and emphasize some of the storytelling and role-play that makes D&D what it is... where's the "boxed text" descriptions?

Obviously there are plenty of different ways to play D&D, so maybe it's just my skewed perspective seeing the way I'm used to playing as how they play it at WotC. Plus we're very early into the session still so maybe it changes as the game goes on... Maybe I'm just tired? :)

Last edited:

charlesatan

Explorer
The_lurkeR said:
Obviously this is a one-off ad vehicle for 4E, with the purpose of talking about the changes, etc... plus it can be tough when working with new players who have lots of questions. But I would have thought that they'd put a little more color into it, have fun with the five sense descriptions and emphasize some of the storytelling and role-play that makes D&D what it is... where's the "boxed text" descriptions?

Obviously there are plenty of different ways to play D&D, so maybe it's just my skewed perspective seeing the way I'm used to playing as how they play it at WotC. Plus we're very early into the session still so maybe it changes as the game goes on... Maybe I'm just tired? :)

Well, they are trying to get new players into the game so a roleplaying-heavy might not always be the solution (it depends on who you're running the game for).

Second, they are playing Keep of the Shadowfell after all and a lot of the design of that particular adventure module was the combat mechanics (although of course there is room for roleplaying).

Remove ads