• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q: Unhallow and Dispel Magic

Shin Okada

Explorer
Unhallow says "The spell effect lasts for one year and function throughout the entire consecrated site, regardless of its normal duration and area or effect." Well, then, what will happen if I tie Dispel Magic (against any non neutral-evil creatures) to Unhallow?

1: Any non NE creature is targeted by Dispel Magic every round (maybe at the beginning of each round?) when it is within the Unhallow site.
2: Any non NE creature is targeted by Dispel Magic whenever it enters the Unhallow site (once per entering).
3: Non of the above.

Shin Okada said:
Unhallow says "The spell effect lasts for one year and function throughout the entire consecrated site, regardless of its normal duration and area or effect." Well, then, what will happen if I tie Dispel Magic (against any non neutral-evil creatures) to Unhallow?

1: Any non NE creature is targeted by Dispel Magic every round (maybe at the beginning of each round?) when it is within the Unhallow site.
2: Any non NE creature is targeted by Dispel Magic whenever it enters the Unhallow site (once per entering).
3: Non of the above.

I don't know the proper answer, but I lean towards a 4th option:

4: Any non NE creature is targeted by Dispel Magic whenever it enters the Unhallow site (once per entering). Whenever a non NE creature casts a spell within the Unhallow effect, a dispel magic is triggered to counter the spell. If the spell is cast successfully, it lasts normally.

Darren

Nareau

Explorer
I was wondering the same thing just a few days ago:
http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50685

I think the most reasonable way to handle it would be to have each NE creature targeted with a Dispel Magic each time they enter the site.

Incidentally, the Dispel Magic should NOT activate and counter any spells cast by a NE creature. This use of Dispel Magic must target the SPELL being cast, not the caster. Since whatever spells they're casting don't qualify as "NE Creatures," there's no reason Dispel Magic would target the spells.

The only exception (which isn't really an exception): if the caster summoned a Fiendish Dire Bat (which IS a NE creature), I'd rule that the bat would be targeted with a Dispel Magic.

I think the rules for (un)hallow are vague at best. Some effects would be insanely more powerful than others if you tried to apply a single standard of how they interacted with the Hallow. I think it's best to talk it over with the DM, and come up with something that seems balanced.

Spider

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads