• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q'Barra: Into the Emerald Forest

Urko

First Post
Paging P0L and doghead...

Hmmm - doghead and P0L have gone silent. No big deal - I'm no one to talk about disappearing for a couple days at a time, but I'd like to move on past this combat soon. Since they are both somewhat peripherally involved, I'll give'em to the end of the day (say, 9 pm or so CST) to show up, then go ahead and NPC them for a round.

Urko

First Post
Conflict on the river, round five

Sanae, although free from Kajalaketh's mental assault, is still trapped within the barrier. Before attempting to break free, she calls upon her god to heal her. A silvery light spreads out from her fingertips, soothing the scorches, but still leaving her in battered condition. That condition is made worse when she forces her way through the energy ring. Electricity surrounds her in crackling arcs, but she manages to break away before they burn her as deeply as they did Borden.

Kajalaketh, the sweat from his furious mental effort standing out on his forehead, finally breaks free of Borden’s spell. Before he can put his newly won freedom to any use, Xavier is on top of him like a wild animal. The scout’s shortsword sparks as it encounters some sort of barrier, then passes through to leave a deep, jagged slash across his enemy’s chest. Xavier notices that the remaining tattoos seem to crawl out of the way, to undamaged patches of skin.

'he has no name' stubbornly refuses to give up his sword, but at the same time refuses to fall. That obstinance propels him, one shaking handhold at a time, to the rail of the patrol boat. He pulls himself over and stands facing Kajalaketh.

Borden slumps back to the deck. He can see that Xavier and Erin are in no immediate danger and Sanae is beyond his reach for the moment. He knows that the healer who gets himself killed does no good at all to anyone, and spares a prayer for himself to heal himself.

Erin and the lone soldier face off for a moment, regarding one another with raised weapons. The soldier’s face is hidden and Erin cannot read his expression, but she sees his eyes narrow and he shouts something Riedran as he rushes forward to press the attack. There is a rapid exchange of lunges and passes, at the end of which Erin has a few new cuts and bruises and her opponent joins his companions in death.

Initiative Order
EFf Flat 16
Sanae 16
Kajalaketh 12
Xavier 10 (higher DEX)
‘he has no name’ 8
Borden 3
Erin 1

Sanae heals herself for 8 hp, but takes 5 hp damage from passing through the barrier (she made her save). Xavier’s threat was confirmed, and he did a total of 14 points of damage. Erin takes 3 hp of damage. Borden heals himself for 10 hp.

updated maps:

|_|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
01|
_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
02|
_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
03|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
04|_|_|_|_|_|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|_|_|_|
05|_|_|_|_|*|C|C|C|C|C|C|C|C|*|_|_|
06|_|_|_|_|*|X|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|
07|_|_|*|*|K|_|_|_|_|S|_|_|_|*|_|_|
08|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|E|_|_|*|_|_|
09|_|_|_|_|*|_|H|_|_|e|_|_|_|*|_|_|
10|_|_|_|_|_|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|_|_|_|
11|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|%|%|_|_|_|_|_|
12|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|%|%|_|_|_|_|_|
13|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|%|%|_|_|_|_|_|
14|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|%|%|_|_|_|_|_|
15|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
16|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

1 square = 5 feet
* = patrol boat
e = energy barrier

C = Crew Member
B = Borden
E = Erin
H = 'he has no name'
K = Kajalaketh
S = Sanae
X = Xavier
% = Kolbek’s Pride – see enlarged map

|_|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
01|%|%|%|%|%|
%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|_|_|
02|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
03|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|B|B|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
04|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|B|B|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
05|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|b|b|b|b|_|b|b|b|b|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
06|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|b|b|b|b|_|b|b|b|b|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
07|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
08|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
09|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|b|b|b|b|_|b|b|b|b|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
10|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|b|b|b|b|_|b|b|b|b|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
11|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
12|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
13|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
14|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
15|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|_|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
16|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|@|A|A|F|F|_|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
17|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|@|A|A|F|F|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
18|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
19|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
20|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|@|_|r|c|c|L|L|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
21|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|@|_|r|c|c|L|L|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
22|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|*|*|r|r|r|*|*|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
23|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|r|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
24|_|_|_|_|_|_|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|_|_|_|_|_|
25|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
26|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

1 square = 1 foot

% = side of patrol boat
* = side of boat
b = bench
@ = cargo
c = pilot chair
r = elemental ring assembly

A = soldier
B = Borden
F = Eff Flat
L = Calabas

Last edited:

Pebele

First Post
OOC: Urko, it seems that you forgot to add information about Sanae, can you please edit to let me know how much damage she took from leaving the barrier and whether or not she was able to make it to J7? thanks!

Urko

First Post
Correction

D'oh! I had written the round summary earlier (a couple days ago, actually) and must have missed her section when I cut and pasted. Just as well - I hadn't noticed your addendum about breaking through the energy barrier, so I added that in. Previous post is now corrected (it appears I had also forgotten to move Xavier).

Harvey

First Post
Erin (HP 10/27)

Erin, feeling the effects of the last few attacks, and realizing she would not be able to reach Kajalaketh before the others, stands her ground. In a swift and practiced move, she pops the cork on a vial in her potion bracer, and quickly drinks the potion. Spitting the cork on the ground, she turns to the remaining men on Kajalaketh's boat, and stares at them. Giving her best threatening voice, she proclaims to them "We will not harm you so long as you drop your weapons," though a quivering in her voice makes her threat seem not that impressive.

OOC: Erin drinks one of the three cure light wounds potions carried in her potion bracer. Since she is drinking it from the bracer, she does not incur an attack of opportunity, nor does she need to drop her morningstar. The potion heals her for 11 points, bringing her back up to 21 HP. She also tries to intimidate the other crew members. Intimidate check 1d20+3 = 8. Oh, well.

Pebele

First Post
Sanae (21/42 HP)

Sanae took a moment to absorb the damage from stepping through the barrier before narrowing her eyes at Kajalaketh.

With a primal yell she came at him full-speed and swung her weapon with all her might. "By the Silver Flame, you will fall this day!"

Sanae is charging Kajalaketh, stopping at G7. She is then using her smite evil ability on him.
attack roll: 26
damage: 12

Yeoman

First Post
Xavier (21/31 HP)

Heartened by Sanae's arrival, Xavier presses the advantage and continues his assault on Kalajeketh. With a quick series of lunges, Xavier tries to find a weakness in Kalajeketh's defenses hoping to score the hit that will end this entirely.

Melee Attack = 18
Damage = 7

P0L

Explorer
ooc:I will not be able to post until monday night (GMT-3), but Borden will expend one turn attempt one turn to infuse his friends with positive energy, and the other turn will use a heal spell. (that way it's maximized).

He wont heal himself unless he cant heal anyone nearby. Remember he was a war healer.
Sorry for the disappearance, but the company sent me home for the weekend, and I'm making the most of it. See ya

Urko

First Post
Conflict on the river, conclusion

Although she would no doubt be disturbed by the comparison, Sanae looks like an avatar of the Fury herself when she charges across the deck. Kajalaketh fumbles with his sword, but to no avail; the paladin’s blade drives deeply into his belly. The patrol boat captain's hand goes to the wound automatically; it comes away completely red. The air between Kajalaketh and Sanae shimmers, as if distorted by great heat. For a moment, it seems to Sanae as if she is on a battlefield, surrounded by foes that she cannot quite bring into focus. They slash at her numerous times before fading into non-existence.

Xavier notices Sanae’s guard shift from the patrol boat captain to some unseen enemy. While he watches, several cuts and gashes appear on her face and body, with no apparent physical cause. Turning back to Kajalaketh, he brings his blade around in a wide arc, tearing open the enemy’s throat. Kajalketh slumps to his knees and spits blood. He speaks in a bubbling, gurgling voice. ”You fools, this body is but a shell. I am eternal. You have earned our attention. And my personal wrath.” Derisive laughter quickly turns to a shuddering cough and he brings forth another gout of gore. ”See you in your dreams...” He falls forward and a light seems to pass from his eyes. He looks at Xavier again uncomprehendingly and whispers ”My Lord, where have you gone? Why have you left me?” With another gasp he falls silent; an empty vessel.

For a moment, there is no sound but the lapping waves and distant bird calls. The sailors look from the blood-stained decks to the party’s dripping weapons. Finally one, a female khorovar, steps forward. It is clear that she is struggling to keep a fearful tremor out of her voice. ”Please, don’t kill us. We have little wealth, but the captain kept a chest with our payroll in his quarters. Take it if you wish, but spare the lives of my crew.” A fire of defiance briefly dances in her eyes. ”If you need more blood, let mine serve.” She unstraps her rapier and lets it fall with a clatter to the boards.

Sanae takes another 7 hp damage. Kajalaketh is completely dead (no chance of revival short of raise dead). Combat is over unless anyone wishes to attack the crew. Remember that you have three prisoners on the boat, one of whom is still conscious, but under guard by Eff Flat. Borden: since we’re out of combat, you’ve got plenty of time to use Sacred Boost if you want – just let us know the target and total healing. Also, please note that last round when I NPC’d you, I had you burn your cause fear spell to cast cure light wounds on yourself (no one else was in range and you were down to only 5 hp).

Yeoman

First Post
Aftermath

What was that about? My dreams? Feh....nonsense from a dying fool.

Xavier takes a moment to clean his blade on Kalajeketh's clothes before sheathing it. The payroll, huh? Hmm, we are kinda down on our luck right now, but... Xavier turns to face the young sailor who addressed the group. "Well, ah..Captain. I can safely say that you are in no danger from us. Not many people would sacrifice themselves to save another. It's the mark of a good leader."

Xavier turns to address the rest of the group. "I don't think there is any need to deprive these sailors of their pay is there? Maybe we can find something useful in his quarters, or on his corpse. What say you all?"

Did I just say that? Damn, Sanae is rubbing off on me.

Remove ads