QB's Monstrous Races

QuietBrowser

First Post
Looking over the earlier kobold offering from this thread and this newer version, I like what I'm seeing.

The wide variety offered by the 5 Draconic Gifts and 12 Kobold Mutations are delightful - I can imagine that if Tucker's Kobolds had this much variety, that we might never have heard of them, because no adventurers would have lived to tell the tale.

The gifts and mutations could easily be determined by dice rolls, giving a randomness to the wee beasties that appeals to my OCD character creation predilections. This race alone could keep me entertained for months.

Grazie, QuietBrowser!
Well, thank you very much! :D I'm glad you like the race so much, and I'd love to make it even better; I got most of my original draft concepts in, but I still lack that "kobold sorcerer" trait for spell-like abilities, which I think would be a perfect addition to the Draconic Gifts segment, and a lot of the kobold traits from Pathfinder's "Kobolds of Golarion" are minable for inspiration, I'm sure, if I could just figure out what to do with, say, Wyrmhorned or the Wyvaran's tail attacks or... well, you've got the list a couple of posts further up, I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from. :p

QuietBrowser

First Post
Alright, so, I was hoping for more feedback, but let's give the Gnoll a shot... for reference, you can find the original gnoll way back on the first page, here.

Now, the basic idea I want to keep is that Butcher's Brood is more vicious/combat orientated, Hyena's Soul is more of a hunter, and Bouda is more mystical. I'm really having a hard time figuring out what to do for revamping the first two, but for the Bouda...

Bouda Edit, First Draft:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Charisma
Graveyard Prowler: A bouda has Resistance to Necrotic Damage.
Hyenathrope: A bouda is a shapeshifter with three distinct forms; its natural gnoll shape, a single human shape, and a hyena shape. In human shape, only magic can reveal it as not being a human, but its abilities and statistics do not change. In hyena shape, it follows all the rule for Druid Wild Shaping except it can only assume the form of a hyena, it can still talk, and it can still cast spells (if it has that ability). In hyena shape, a bouda is permanently under the effects of Speak to Animals, except it can only communicate with hyenas.

This, I think, looks solid, but there are three racial features I can see adding to it. I'm pretty sure it's overpowered to give them more than one, but which do folks recommend choosing?

Witch's Glare: Once per long rest, a bouda can curse a single visible enemy within 30 feet, causing it to suffer disadvantage on all attack rolls and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to the bouda's Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 round).

Evil Eye: Once per short rest, a bouda can attempt to use its Evil Eye on a single visible target within 10 feet. The Evil Eye can mimic the effects of an Animal Friendship, Charm Person or Hold Person spell, as the bouda chooses, and the DC to resist the spell is 8 + the bouda's Proficiency bonus + the bouda's Charisma modifier. If the target successfully saves against the Evil Eye, the bouda is Blinded until the end of its next turn and cannot target that creature with the Evil Eye again for 24 hours.

Black Magician: A bouda can cast Chill Touch with this trait. At 3rd level, it can cast Arms of Hadar as a 1st level spell with this trait once per long rest. At 5th level, it can cast Enthrall as a 2nd level spell with this trait once per long rest. Charisma is the spellcasting ability score for all spells cast with this trait.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Query; I have a homebrew race I created exclusively for my Malebolge setting. Should I post it here, or should it only go in the setting it belongs to, since it has such setting-specific fluff?

Also, I just remembered from pages past that the Lamia, Naga and Serpentfolk races really need some tweaking...

QuietBrowser

First Post
Okay, so, as I said, I'm not hugely happy with either of the official Warforged takes out there so far, so I decided to do my own. I could really use some help working the glitches out of these guys, especially because I kind of ran out of ideas for subrace abilities.

Scouts are the "thieves" of the race; small, stealthy, highly mobile intelligence gatherers. Soldiers (who maybe need a better name?) are the "Jacks of All Trades" - they're not the flashiest unit, but they've got good, solid traits aimed at making them highly versatile. Jaegars are inspired by 3e's Titans and Chargers; bigger, stronger warforged made to hit things really hard and be the muscle to back up the solid discipline of the Soldiers. Also, maybe I should consider some kind of "mage subrace" too?

Warforged, Core:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Living Construct: A Warforged is immune to disease, has Advantage on saving throws vs. Poison, is Resistant to Poison Damage, and does not need to eat or breathe, although it can still consume organic matter if needed.
Unsleeping Sentinel: A warforged needs only 4 hours of sleep per day instead of 8 to remain healthy. Additionally, whilst in its resting trance, a warforged remains fully aware of its surroundings.
Integrated Armor: As part of a short rest, a warforged can integrate a suit of armor into it body. This prevents the armor from being removed until it spends another short rest doing so. Integrating a suit of armor allows a warforged to benefit from its protection without any drawbacks, even if it does not have proficiency with that armor type.
Subrace: Choose between the Scout, Soldier and Jaeger subraces.

Warforged Scout
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Dexterity
Size: Small
Movement: 35 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Recording Engrams: A Scout can remember anything it has seen or heard with perfect clarity, unless magic is used to modify its memory.
Stealth Unit: A Scout has Proficiency with Dexterity (Stealth) checks.

Warforged Soldier
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Movement: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Built for War: A Soldier has proficiency with Medium Armor and two Martial weapons of your choice.
Hardened Systems: A Soldier is treated as being Acclimatized to extreme heat, extreme cold and high altitude, and does not suffer a penalty to Wisdom (Perception) checks as a result of environmental factors like strong wind or heavy precipitation.

Warforged Jaeger
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength
Size: Medium
Movement: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Powerful Build: Treat a Jaeger as being one size larger for determining carrying, pushing and pulling capacity.
Dense Plating: A Jaeger's unarmored AC is 12 + Constitution Modifier.
Megaton Drivers: A Jaegar that delivers a critical hit with a melee weapon doubles its Strength bonus to calculate damage inflicted. Additionally, it has Advantage on Strength checks made to break objects.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I'm a big fan of warforged, and like you, I'm disappointed by the official releases so far for them.

Transcendantviewer is in that camp, too, so I think you might appreciate his thinking on this. You can find his thread at:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...rewed-Warforged-for-5th-Edition#ixzz3RbMHjmjV

Warforged played a significant part in one of my home-brew (non-Eberron) campaigns back in my 4e days.

I'd tweaked the whole Spellplague meme for my game world (Crossroads), which had been linked by powerful magical portals to every other game world I knew of, including officially published D&D, 3rd-party, and even friends' home-brews, and also including non-D&D worlds such as the Earth as portrayed in Earthdawn (not that my players knew this!). Events on Crossroads were contemporary with worlds such as Abeil-Toril and Eberron, were thousands of years prior to the rise of the God-Kings of Athas, while the advent of the Spellplague coincided with the almost complete disappearance of magic in the Earthdawn milieu, millenia before its return in the world of Shadowrun.

The circumstances that erupted into magic-dead zones and the Spellplague ripped through all magical portals like a dam-burst, tearing them asunder. Locations where magic-use was most commonly used were the most heavily damaged. The knowledge of portal magic was lost with it, as those spellcasters versed in its use drew the Spellplague to them like iron filings to a magnet.

Taking a profound enjoyment in a multitude of playable character races, Crossroads is a world where any game-balanced race a player might want can be found, if only as a unique visitor stranded on the world when the portals went caput.

It was duergar who brought warforged construction techniques to Crossroads before the devastation. In their schemes, warforged have a certified cost/benefit advantage over slaves. They don't need to be fed and they last a lot longer. They can be designed to perform specialized tasks.

A Paragon Path available in 4e to Assassin characters allowed the character to temporarily harvest the souls of those they killed to use in powering other abilities they had. I used that idea as a part of the warforged construction process. A slave at the end of its usefulness would be sacrificed, its soul captured, and then bound to the ghulra that made each warforged unique as the last necessary step before Awakening it.

Memories of their past lives were blocked, although certain home-brewed Feats or other magic could grant strictly limited access to some.

Another thought I never fully developed was to create a hybrid of warforged and revenant character races; it seems to be something of a natural follow-on given the duergar procedure. This Thread has brought that back into consideration.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Alright, so, I was hoping for more feedback, but let's give the Gnoll a shot... for reference, you can find the original gnoll way back on the first page, here.

Now, the basic idea I want to keep is that Butcher's Brood is more vicious/combat orientated, Hyena's Soul is more of a hunter, and Bouda is more mystical. I'm really having a hard time figuring out what to do for revamping the first two, but for the Bouda...

Bouda Edit, First Draft:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Charisma
Graveyard Prowler: A bouda has Resistance to Necrotic Damage.
Hyenathrope: A bouda is a shapeshifter with three distinct forms; its natural gnoll shape, a single human shape, and a hyena shape. In human shape, only magic can reveal it as not being a human, but its abilities and statistics do not change. In hyena shape, it follows all the rule for Druid Wild Shaping except it can only assume the form of a hyena, it can still talk, and it can still cast spells (if it has that ability). In hyena shape, a bouda is permanently under the effects of Speak to Animals, except it can only communicate with hyenas.

This, I think, looks solid, but there are three racial features I can see adding to it. I'm pretty sure it's overpowered to give them more than one, but which do folks recommend choosing?

Witch's Glare: Once per long rest, a bouda can curse a single visible enemy within 30 feet, causing it to suffer disadvantage on all attack rolls and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to the bouda's Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 round).

Evil Eye: Once per short rest, a bouda can attempt to use its Evil Eye on a single visible target within 10 feet. The Evil Eye can mimic the effects of an Animal Friendship, Charm Person or Hold Person spell, as the bouda chooses, and the DC to resist the spell is 8 + the bouda's Proficiency bonus + the bouda's Charisma modifier. If the target successfully saves against the Evil Eye, the bouda is Blinded until the end of its next turn and cannot target that creature with the Evil Eye again for 24 hours.

Black Magician: A bouda can cast Chill Touch with this trait. At 3rd level, it can cast Arms of Hadar as a 1st level spell with this trait once per long rest. At 5th level, it can cast Enthrall as a 2nd level spell with this trait once per long rest. Charisma is the spellcasting ability score for all spells cast with this trait.

I would play that. If it helps, the basic use of my Curses skill specialty in my home system is, translated to 5e mechanics,:
Curse of Ill Luck: The target cannot have Advantage on Checks or Saves using Strength or Dexterity. If the target fails any such check, or an attack roll, it takes 1d8 damage, and falls prone.

I like your homebrew here, it's pretty well done. If you're interested, check out mine on the DM's Guild. Just look up Warforged and you should find it at the top result.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Okay, before I begin, I want you all to know I do appreciate that you took the time to comment on this. I say this because, as much as it pains me to say what I'm about to say next, I can't think of a way to put it that makes me less of an :):):):):):):) for saying it.
[MENTION=6778305]Redthistle[/MENTION]:
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but could you maybe share what you think of my actual efforts at statting the race up? As interesting as it is to see how you fluffed their presence in your last setting, my big concern is trying to balance out my take on the race's crunch.
[MENTION=6704184]doctorbadwolf[/MENTION]:
Seeing as how my problem, as stated in the very post you quote, is that I can't choose which of those three possible racial features to give the Bouda because they're all thematically appropriate, but it'd be too overpowered to give it all three of them... I'm afraid that doesn't help very much.
[MENTION=6762655]transcendantviewer[/MENTION]:
Thank you for the vote of confidence in my take on it. However, while I would appreciate your thoughts on precise rulings, the viability of present traits, traits that could be added or subtracted, or similar commentary, I must confess that DM's Guild is... not really an option.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Okay, before I begin, I want you all to know I do appreciate that you took the time to comment on this. I say this because, as much as it pains me to say what I'm about to say next, I can't think of a way to put it that makes me less of an :):):):):):):) for saying it.
@Redthistle:
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but could you maybe share what you think of my actual efforts at statting the race up? As interesting as it is to see how you fluffed their presence in your last setting, my big concern is trying to balance out my take on the race's crunch.
@doctorbadwolf:
Seeing as how my problem, as stated in the very post you quote, is that I can't choose which of those three possible racial features to give the Bouda because they're all thematically appropriate, but it'd be too overpowered to give it all three of them... I'm afraid that doesn't help very much.
@transcendantviewer:
Thank you for the vote of confidence in my take on it. However, while I would appreciate your thoughts on precise rulings, the viability of present traits, traits that could be added or subtracted, or similar commentary, I must confess that DM's Guild is... not really an option.

Fair enough. That will take a bit more time for the analysis.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
UA - Eberron; TranscendantViewer, & QuietBrowser
Core Trait Comparisons: Warforged

Unearthed Arcana: Eberron

This one has the least to offer in context, just a bare-bones explanation of their origin and a brief statement of their nature, before providing the base traits for a generic warforged character. There are no variant forms.

Core Traits
As a warforged, you have the following traits.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength and Constitution scores increase by 1.
Size. Warforged are generally broader and heavier than humans. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Composite Plating. Your construction incorporates wood and metal, granting you a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
Living Construct. Even though you are a construct, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat or breathe, but you can ingest food and drink if you wish.
Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. You don’t dream in this state; you’re fully aware of your surroundings and you still notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice.

Transcendantviewer’s Homebrew Warforged, available through the DM’s Guild online as the Warforged Collection.

This offering is delivered with the most in background information on the race, outdoing even some of the basic character races in the 5e PHB in column inches. I haven’t looked at the original Eberron sourcebooks, but the description in the 4e Eberron Player’s Guide has less than transcendantviewer’s Warforged Collection in terms of explaining the nature and limitations of the race. This rendition goes into great depth, and has a large number of common traits for warforged, besides additional traits for three warforged subraces (the charger, the commando, and the scout), six warforged-specific Feats, and three racial archetypes.

Core Traits
Your Warforged character possesses a number of special benefits and drawbacks due to their construct-like nature.
Ability Score Increase. Increase your Constitution Score by 2.
Ageless. You are built to withstand the test of time. As a result of your construct-like nature, you do not age.
Alignment. Warforged tend towards lawful alignments due to their militaristic training and are often the Lawful Neutral alignment, but other alignments are equally likely.
Living Construct. You possess both the Humanoid and Construct types, and as such, any spell or ability that can affect one or both of these types can affect you normally.
Construct Resiliency. Your unnatural, forged body grants special benefits. You are immune to disease. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage. In addition, you do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe but can still benefit from consumable items, such as potions.
Half-Living. You heal only half as much from magical healing, rounded down.
Ever Watching. You do not sleep. When you take a long rest, you are completely aware and you must still perform only light activity to receive the benefits of a long rest.
Self-Stabilizing. When you make a Death Saving throw, a result of 19 automatically stabilizes you, but you remain unconscious. In addition, rolling a natural 1 on a Death Saving throw only counts as a single failure for you.
Composite Plating. You are constructed with greater bodily resilience than other races. While not wearing armor, your Armor Class is calculated as 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.
Natural Weapon. You can never be disarmed because you are a weapon. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage.
Languages. You speak Common.
Sub-Races. There are three sub-races in the Warforged Race: the Charger, the Commando, and the Scout. Choose one.

QuietBrowser’s Homebrew

In QuietBrowser’s own words: “Okay, so, as I said, I'm not hugely happy with either of the official Warforged takes out there so far, so I decided to do my own. I could really use some help working the glitches out of these guys, especially because I kind of ran out of ideas for subrace abilities.”

[Note: When QuietBrowser refers to “... either of the official Warforged takes ... “ I am not sure if the DM’s Guild’s .pdf of transcendantviewer’s Warforged Collection is one of the two “official” versions being referred to, or if there is some other version meant by that. Technically, neither the UA or DM’s Guild are fully official. They are, however, the only other versions that I am currently aware of.]

Core Traits
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Living Construct: A Warforged is immune to disease, has Advantage on saving throws vs. Poison, is Resistant to Poison Damage, and does not need to eat or breathe, although it can still consume organic matter if needed.
Unsleeping Sentinel: A warforged needs only 4 hours of sleep per day instead of 8 to remain healthy. Additionally, whilst in its resting trance, a warforged remains fully aware of its surroundings.
Integrated Armor: As part of a short rest, a warforged can integrate a suit of armor into its body. This prevents the armor from being removed until it spends another short rest doing so. Integrating a suit of armor allows a warforged to benefit from its protection without any drawbacks, even if it does not have proficiency with that armor type.
Subrace: Choose between the Scout, Soldier and Jaeger subraces.

Comparisons and Contrasts

Ability Score Increases

All three versions agree that Constitution is the primary ability for the Warforged race. These are generally presented in the order in which the versions were produced.

1. Because it only offers one warforged race with no subracial types, the UA’s version offers a +1 to each of two Abilities. This is weaker than the racial bonuses for any of the core races which typically award at least a total of +3 distributed between two or more Abilities. However, this version’s Composite Plating trait, by providing a +1 to Armor Class, partially compensates for that by effectively adding 2 to the Dexterity score vis-a-vis AC, although it does not improve the saving throw for either Dexterity or Constitution.

2. Both the DM’s Guild and QuietBrowser versions have only the bonus to Constitution, distributing any other Ability bonuses through their sub-racial offerings [I’ll deal with those later].

2a. The Dm’s Guild is the stronger version in this trait by granting a +2 to Constitution. That is both tied to and balanced by the fact that it is the only one of the three versions with the Half-Living trait, which halves any benefit it might receive from magical healing.

Half-Living, imo, is a necessary trait, since healing spells state that they have no effect on constructs. This trait emphasizes that the warforged is half-organic in its construction. Healing magic is wasted on its inorganic parts, but does work on its organic portion.

Warforged and Aging

The UA article does not address this. QuietBrowser’s version is still on the ENWorld Thread drawing board and may yet address the issue.

In the Warforged Collection, transcendantviewer goes into warforged aging at some depth in what I term the “cultural” contexts of a race (fluff) before getting to the Traits section (mechanics).

Some or all of that material may be transcendantviewer’s own, or may have come from the original Eberron sourcebook(s), or may be a mix of the two; I do not know which case applies.

In the section Sleepless Minds and Endless Lives, the situation is described thus:

“Warforged also do not age and as such cannot die from old age. They do not grow from children like other races; all Warforged are created in the prime of their life and never get older. Instead, for the first 6 months or so of wakefulness, they possess youthful curiosity and a readiness to learn any information they can, much like an infant. Past this brief time of intellectual development, their minds are taught to be rigid and stern, and they often lose their curiosity about the world. From that point on, they are, more or less, who they will always be.”

The No New Warforged section goes on to state:

“A unique quality of the Warforged is that they are incapable of reproduction and following the end of the Last War, when they were recognized as a true, sentient race, it became decidedly unethical to produce more. This fact makes it painfully clear that one day, the last Warforged may die, signaling the death knell for this proud warrior-race.”

This all gets boiled down to a succinct definition in the Core Trait, Ageless.

I would argue the point about ethics since there are plenty of disagreements about just what constitutes ethical behavior, as I learned while studying the topic in college. Are ethics absolute or situational? That debate continues in both academia and politics.

Personally, my preference is that warforged continue to be constructed just because I really like the race.

Also, neither the vegetative nor the metallic parts are likely to be immune to the natural effects of daily wear and tear, unless specifically deemed to be so by the magical processes of construction. Nothing in any of the three versions of the Core Traits explicitly says that warforged are immune or even resistanct to bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage. Their durable nature may slow aging down somewhat, but I can’t really see them as being any less vulnerable to wearing out than, say, an automobile. Maybe that's a bad example. Ask a gamer who has owned car. Or happens to be a warforged that owns a car.

I believe that Warforged Collection hews closely to the race’s aging as depicted in Eberron, and look forward to seeing what direction QuietBrowser may take that trait.

Alignment

Neither the UA article nor QuietBrowser address this, so I will assume that the definition of warforged alignment inclinations as described in the Warforged Collection is acceptable to all.

Size and Speed

All three versions appear to agree on Medium size and a 30-foot walking speed for the standard warforged build and movement.

The fun will start when I get to the different subracial versions and their variance from the Core Traits.

Living Construct / Construct Resiliency

The UA and QuietBrowser’s definitions of Living Construct begin with a match. The Warforged Collection’s Construct Resiliency says the same thing, and so should be retitled as Living Construct.

What Warforged Collection does describe under Living Construct should instead be included in the Half-Living trait, and then Half-Living should be included in the Core Traits for all versions.

This version’s Ever Watching should also be absorbed into Living Construct.

QuietBrowser’s Unsleeping Sentinel, likewise, should simply be included within the Living Construct trait’s definition.

Composite Plating / Integrated Armor

Here, I prefer Warforged Collection’s definition. It just feels intuitively right for how I picture the race.

Integrated Armor is so strongly related to this, and is so intriguing an idea, that I would want to include it in the definition of Composite Plating. If it is, I have two things to consider:

1. Since the underlying idea is to improve armor class, by using Integrated Armor the character should lose one of the ability modifiers granted by Composite Plating. Dexterity should be the default modifier to keep, but I’d allow a choice between the two ability modifiers, with the caveat that the modifier cannot exceed +3 for medium armor and cannot exceed +1 for heavy armor.

2. While engaged in integrating the armor during a short rest, a warforged character would grant combat advantage to any weapon attack rolls made against it. Surpri-iiise!!!

Self-Stabilizing and Natural Weapon

Only Warforged Collection includes these two options as part of Core Traits. Neither one is necessary to the warforged race, but I like them both.

Self-Stabilizing is another one of those “this makes sense for a living construct” things. Although it might be added to the Living Construct trait, it is significant enough to warrant its own trait.

The same goes for Natural Weapon.

I can see scaling Natural Weapon by character size for the warforged sub-racial types: 1d2 bludgeoning damage for Small warforged (still better than the simple 1 bludgeoning damage for unarmed strike in the PHB), and 1d6 bludgeoning damage for the jaeger and charger.

-----------------------------------------

This does if for now as far as the Core Traits go.

I’ll post later on the different takes on warforged subracial types.

Last edited:

Remove ads