QB's Monstrous Races

QuietBrowser

First Post
So, my attention was drawn to this race, and seeing as how I need to bump this thread anyway, I figured I'd share my thoughts on it.

The Dray were a race of draconic humanoids from the Dark Sun setting, introduced in the "City by the Silt Sea" adventure. They represent Dregoth's experiments at altering the draconic ascension rituals in order to evolve humans into dragons en masse, and are divided into two generations; his first batch of successful experiments, the mutation prone and somewhat feral, but honorable, flawed prototypes and the second generation of completed models. Although 4th edition suggested using them as a way to replicate Dragonborn, the truth is that they don't really mesh up all that well; Dray in AD&D were essentially lizardmen (tough hides, natural attacks, heat resistance) reflavored as one mad dracolich's attempt at evolving humanity into a superior state in total isolation, so the dragonborn's breath weapon, History bonus and stat boosts didn't mesh up all too well.

For those wanting to see how these guys compare to their 2e selves, you can find the 2e Dray stats here: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dragonborn#Dray

Dray
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on Attack Rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks based on sight made whilst either you or the thing you are attacking/studying is in direct sunlight.
Born to Scorching Sands: You have Resistance to Fire Damage. Additionally, you only need a half of a gallon of water per day, or one gallon in hot weather, and have Advantage on the Constitution save against Exhaustion caused by not drinking sufficient daily water.
Armored Scales: When not wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
With Fang and Claw: You possess fangs and claws, which function as natural weapons. When making an unarmed strike, you can choose to use your claw attack (1d6 + Str modifier Slashing damage) or bite attack (1d4 + Str modifier Piercing damage) instead of your fist (normal Unarmed Strike). If you have the Martial Arts class feature, you can use your Martial Arts damage dice when making a claw or bite attack, although the damage remains Slashing or Piercing as appropriate.
Subrace: Choose between the First Generation Dray or Second Generation Dray to determine the rest of your racial abilities.

1st Generation Dray:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength
Atavistic Fury: You have a +1 bonus to Attack rolls and Damage rolls when using your claw attack and bite attack.

2nd Generation Dray:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength, +1 Intelligence
Superior Darkvision: Your Darkvision has a range of 120 feet instead of 60 feet.
Trained to Inherit: You have Proficiency in one skill of your choice and in one martial weapon of your choice.

Remove ads