• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Queen of Air and Darkness

It's a phrase from Shakespeare, so you're free to make up the members of her court as you will. She's often associated with the Unseelie Court as opposed to the Seelie Court (though in classic myth neither is safe for a mortal). For a great read and inspiration, I refer you to Emma Bull's War for the Oaks.

Delta

First Post
The first thing I thought of was the second book of T.H. White's The Once and Future King. The Wikipedia article on the D&D character says that's the source:

The name comes from the title of T. H. White's Arthurian novel The Queen of Air and Darkness, the second volume in his work The Once and Future King... In White's novel, the queen of the title is King Arthur's half-sister Morgause. She is an amateur witch who enchants the young king into sleeping with her, producing the traitorous child Mordred.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_Air_and_Darkness_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Trouvere said:
The third of the Last Poems - only three verses long.
I think it's worth quoting in full here - only because, as a 14-year-old, this struck me as a particularly D&D-ish poem:

"Her strong enchantments failing,
Her towers of fear in wreck,
Her limbecks dried of poisons
And the knife at her neck,

The Queen of air and darkness
Begins to shrill and cry,
`O young man, O my slayer
To-morrow you shall die.'

O Queen of air and darkness
I think 'tis truth you say,
And I shall die to-morrow;
But you shall die to-day."