• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about advancing sorcerer bloodlines

Banshee16

First Post
I've got a question....for sorcerer bloodline powers, cleric domain school powers, and wizard school powers, are you supposed to advance them, when a character takes a class that has "+1 arcane spellcasting level" type progression?

Basically, do I *only* advance spells per day, caster level, and spell resistance penetration? Or do I do that, plus they get the new bloodline power?

Banshee

You don't get any other benefits of the class other than what is specifically mentioned, i.e. spells known/per day and Caster level.

If you got the Bloodline Powers/Spells, what would be the reason to stay in Sorcerer in the first place? Noone would, and Pathfinder is all about making single-class characters attractive.

Mando'

First Post
I would say inless the class says that its levels stack with the other class for bloodline, then no.

If you read the "Spells" part of the classes that at +1 level in exsisting class, it states that "The character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for additional spells per day, spells known (if she is a spontaneous spellcaster), and an increased effective level of spell casting"

I took that from Arcane trickster, but every single prestige class will give you an very similar answer.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Unless a prestige class specifically says it advances something like a bloodline, it does not. Spell advancement is by far the most common form of advancement a prestige class gives, but that's all it is—spell advancement. Think of the other abilities a prestige class grants as replacements for the bloodline powers, basically, since a prestige class isn't supposed to be an improvement over what the base class allows... just a different set of powers.

Samurai

Adventurer
What about Domain spells? They are part of the spell advancement for Clerics (and Druids that choose a domain), so are they included or not? The entire domain is technically a class ability, even though there is a "+1" in the spell advancement chart as a reminder to players to pick a domain spell for each level.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
What about Domain spells? They are part of the spell advancement for Clerics (and Druids that choose a domain), so are they included or not? The entire domain is technically a class ability, even though there is a "+1" in the spell advancement chart as a reminder to players to pick a domain spell for each level.

Domain spell access DOES advance as your spellcasting does, since domain spells are part of your spell list and one of the things that advancing your spellcasting does is give access to higher level spells on your spell list. Advancing spellcasting via a prestige class would NOT advance your domain powers, though.

frankthedm

First Post
the extra class abilities were added to pathfinder spellcasters, in part, to encourage casters, and especial sorcerers, to stay in class and not jump to a PRC.

Remove ads