D&D 5E Question about classes and spells

Arctic Wolf

First Post
Hello all. I am going to start up a game and one of my players asked if they could use a spell that wasn't a class spell (they wanted a wizard cantrip instead of a warlock one). Do you think it would cause any problems later on if I just let them pick the spells they wanted as long as it went with their theme? Thanks for any replys!

Erik42

First Post
Ultimately, it is your game and you can do with it as you will. As DM, if you think it fits your campaign go for it.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
As Erik said, do what will be more fun.

Keep in mind though that the class spell lists are part of the class features, they aren't just there for theme. Wizards get a big spell list. Bards have a limited list and have a special ability to gain specific spells. One of their subclasses gets more spells at the cost of combat power.

Arctic Wolf

First Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I as just checking to make sure I wasn't breaking anything by doing that since this will be our first 5e game. I get the limited lists but when there are so many beings that could supply you power, I feel they might of cut it a bit thin.

Mephistopheles

First Post
Go ahead with it, but perhaps talk with the player about the possibility that you may need to revise the decision if it ends up causing problems later on.

Joe Liker

First Post
Be aware that there are several feats that give you access to other classes' cantrips. If your player is willing to start as a human, he can take one of those feats immediately without disturbing the game balance at all.

Or he can wait until level 4 and take such a feat, no matter what race he is. (Spell Sniper is great for warlocks for many reasons, by the way.)

Or he can take a level of wizard or sorcerer as soon as level 2 and gain several wizard or sorcerer cantrips. (I mention sorcerer because it meshes better with a warlock's ability scores.)

Or if he is willing to play a high elf, he gets a free wizard cantrip of his choice, no matter what class he chooses.

I would suggest presenting those options before setting a precedent of blurred lines among the various class features.

Last edited:

Remove ads