• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about designing a generic adventure in Warcraft universe.

Jenks3

First Post
So I'm going about designing an adventure for the Warcraft universe, but I've run into an interesting snag I didn't expect.

As most of you know, a big part of the Warcraft setting is racial tensions and animosity. Hence, even before World of Warcraft, races generally chose sides. Even the Warcraft d20 and WoW d20 books advise keeping to one affiliation or another. While that's pretty cool for the feel of the world, it throws a real kink into adventure design. If I wanted to make an adventure set in a horde based area, say the wailing caverns, I'd have to practically write two adventures, or a LOT of sidebars, for the events leading up to entering the caverns. While the horde would be able to ride right up to it, somewhat, the Alliance would have to sneak into the area. I would like the adventure to be used by any group in any game without too much hassle.

As well, I can't find any published adventures for the Warcraft RPG or the WoW RPG to use as a reference.

How would you guys handle designing an adventure with this kind of issue?

Also let me know if more information is needed. Thanks!

DM Howard

Explorer
Having been a long time WoW playing I'll tell you what I would do. Simply design the adventure so that adversity of that sort would be expected to be encountered based on group composition. That way if there is a mixed faction group they have to get creative just like an Alliance group sneaking into Wailing Caverns would have to be. You can have a sidebar about suggestions to make up for the difficulty/experience for groups that happen to breeze through that part more easily. Then again the group that should have it the easiest might have to obtain some sort of pass or accomplish some task to gain access to the area in question.

Hope that helps!

Evenglare

Adventurer
I have run an adventure in Azeroth. The one thing I have to say is this, try as hard as you can to divorce the mmo from the tabletop or else you will stifle your creativity trying to conform to the MMO.

Jenks3

First Post
I have run 2 successful campaigns in Azeroth, one in 3.5 and one in 4e, so I got a decent grasp on separating the game from the MMO. It was a little difficult at first, and a couple of people had to leave the table more than once because of /whisper and LFG jokes, but eventually everyone got acclimated. I'm not too worried about it, thanks though :)

I have a good amount of experience, but all my sessions were planned with one lens in mind, whatever side that were on at the time. But this time I was going to design it alliance neutral, but it turned out to be more complex than I thought.

Jenks3

First Post
Just come up with a compelling reason for characters to get involved in the adventure. They'll figure out how to get past any obstacles to do so.
Hmmm...perhaps I could include sidebars featuring different hooks for the different sides. But, that still leaves the problem of the information gathering/town cruising/roleplay part of the adventure.

Remove ads