• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Magic Ratings from UA

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
I'm considering the option of Magic Ratings from UA in the campaign I'm about to revive. I was wondering if others had used the system, and what you thought of it. Or if you considered it, and then decided not to use it.

Does it crank up casters too much? Is it balanced fine? Is it more trouble than it's worth?

Any opinions are welcome, but I especially would like to hear some tales of actual use!

Thanks for your time!

Deadguy

First Post
Well I just wabted to say that you're nt alone in wanting to know how the UA variant plays out. I am planning to give it a try out nexy month, for a 4th level Bard / 6th level Wizard. At this level, it's becoming clear that the character is - power-wise - very suboptimal. Per UA's suggestion he will cast as CL 10 for both classes. I suspect that the boost will be noticebale, but not great.

Li Shenron

Legend
Magic Rating has one point: to improve multiclassed spellcasters. But an increase in caster level is not nearly comparable with an increase in spellcasting level, which is the main cost that a caster takes for multiclassing. Magic Rating is not powerful at all, and sometimes we even thought it could be higher. Also IMXP the improvement is more significant if you are a non-caster who took 1-2 levels in a spellcasting class.

Remove ads