D&D 5E Question about magical shields...

the_move

First Post
If a magical shield - like a simple Magic Shield +1 - is used as an improvised weapon (Tavern Brawler), will it then also count as magical (weapon) for the purpose of overcoming resistances and immunities to nonmagical attacks and damage?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules about this, leaving it up to DM interpretation.

Here's a couple potential ways to look at it and I'm sure there are more.

• It's magical, it would overcome resistance. But the magic on it is to give you a bonus to AC, it doesn't affect your to hit rolls.
  • It's magic but has no enhancement around doing damage, so it doesn't count as magical for overcoming resistance or add to hit/damage.
  • Looking at the rules for improvised weapons (PHB 148), it talks about some improvised items being close enough to a weapon to use weapon damage and even gain proficiency. If that's the case, it can act as magic, so a magical staff would count as a magic quarterstaff (with no bonuses) for overcoming damage resistance. A shield doesn't fall into that weapon category, so it wouldn't.
  • Same as above, plus since you have the Tavern Brawler feat you get proficiency with it, so I guess it's a magic weapon.
  • Heck, sounds good to me. Clever thinking! I like when PCs go outside the box.
If I personally was DMing my first thought was that's not the type of magic so it wouldn't add or overcome resistance, but then I remembered that I like to empower my players and heck, they even have a feat to use improvised weapons well. Go for it!

the_move

First Post
MMh, guess I'll be at my DMs mercy then. Although I think the argument about a devotion paladin, using his shield as an improvised weapon and channeling Sacred Weapon on it might be a point. It becomes magical too, but the game does not have a distinction between 'battle magic', 'protective magic', and 'general magic', or 'whatever magic'. Magic is magic.

Kithas

First Post
MMh, guess I'll be at my DMs mercy then. Although I think the argument about a devotion paladin, using his shield as an improvised weapon and channeling Sacred Weapon on it might be a point. It becomes magical too, but the game does not have a distinction between 'battle magic', 'protective magic', and 'general magic', or 'whatever magic'. Magic is magic.
You are definitely at your dm's mercy but I see it as reasonable. One nhing to note, shields are neither light nor 'weapons' so there is no raw way to attack with a sword and shield ala two weapon fighting.
As for examples of 'defensive' magic being used offensively 'blast of tempest' is a pretty straightforward one. Mediocre show overall but for atleast the first half all of the mages fight solely with defensive magic.

the_move

First Post
Who says I would do dual wield with sword and shield? It's just the shield and a free hand. Prone, grapple, pummel (with the shield), rinse repeat. The sword is just in case I can't grapple/prone.

Also as long as I use the shield as a weapon while having my other hand free (or grappling someone), I should get the +2 damage from the Dueling fighting style, wouldn't I. And Enlarge increases the shield's size, so I get an additional d4 to my damage rolls with the shield for a total of 2d4+6 (Str 18), when bashing skulls with the shield. Booming/Greenflame Blade, respectively Shield might add up, too. Booming Shield sounds better anyway.

Not much, but ok for a grappling defender, I guess.

Last edited:

Kithas

First Post
Who says I would do dual wield with sword and shield? It's just the shield and a free hand. Prone, grapple, pummel (with the shield), rinse repeat. The sword is just in case I can't grapple/prone.

Also as long as I use the shield as a weapon while having my other hand free (or grappling someone), I should get the +2 damage from the Dueling fighting style, wouldn't I. And Enlarge increases the shield's size, so I get an additional d4 to my damage rolls with the shield for a total of 2d4+6 (Str 18), when bashing skulls with the shield. Booming/Greenflame Blade, respectively Shield might add up, too. Booming Shield sounds better anyway.

Not much, but ok for a grappling defender, I guess.
I was just covering general usage scenarios. As far as dueling and gfb/bb that is also up tomyour dm. All of those require a "weapon" which raw a shield is not.

the_move

First Post
Yes, but taking an educated guess both Dueling and BB/GFB just state that they require a weapon. They do nowhere state that it has to be simple or martial weapon. Just a weapon. So an improvised weapon should qualify just the same, even by RAW.

Last edited:

Kithas

First Post
Yes, but taking an educated guess both Dueling and BB/GFB just state that they require a weapon. They do nowhere state that it has to be simple or martial weapon. Just a weapon. So an improvised weapon should qualify just the same, even by RAW.
As does the dual wielder feat but it has classicly not been allowed with shields for abusable reasons. I undertsand your interpretation Im just saying the interpretation that I have seen wore often is different. Basically all of nhis comes back to talk to your dm. Which is sadly usuallythe answer. <.<

the_move

First Post
Stop for a moment there. By that thought if I pick up Tavern Brawler it would negate the effect of the Dueling Fighting style. It will definately do so, when I use my shield for a bonus action attack on my turn while attacking with my sword primarily. But as long as I do not use my shield like that Dueling will still be applied (to my sword attacks).

Now, when I use my shield as a weapon during my attack action while having my other hand free I do not see any reason why Dueling should not be granted. Dueling needs a melee weapon. It does not state simple or martial melee weapon, just melee weapon. There are 3 categories at least, not two. Simple, martial and improvised. The only difference is, that the improvised weapon category does not provide a list, because it would be endless as such.

I do not see any line in the paragraph, stating that improvised weapons do not count as weapons when used with spells/effects. GFB/BB requires a melee attack done with a weapon, and Dueling says a melee weapon. No word about simple or martial. Further I do not see the abuse in this.

You think some might dual wield two shields for a twice the AC +1 for the feat, don't you?

Last edited:

Remove ads