• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about max dex bonus

tennyson

First Post
Hi Everyone,

If I were wearing full plate (which has a max dex bonus of +1), but my dexterity was 16 (a bonus of +3), does that affect my BAB with ranged weapons, or just everything else dex-related? Thanks.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Max Dex bonus affects your bonus to AC.

The Armor Check Penalty affects your dex-based skills; and if you don't have Heavy Armor proficiency, it also affects your attack rolls (both ranged and melee).

If you do have the Heavy Armor proficiency, your attack rolls are unaffected.

Armor (with the possible exception of a Tower Shield) has no effect on Reflex Saves.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

tennyson

First Post
Thanks for the quick replies. So what statistic of the armor would affect things such as swimming and climbing, which are strength-related?

Crothian

First Post
tennyson said:
Thanks for the quick replies. So what statistic of the armor would affect things such as swimming and climbing, which are strength-related?

Weight effects swimming, each 5lbs yields a -1 penalty.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Sorry, I was not completely accurate. There are certain skills - often marked with a * on a character sheet, or listed in the PHB - which are affected by the Armor Check Penalty.

Jump, Climb, Hide, Move Silently, and others.

Some are Str-based, some are Dex-based.

Swim is a special case, affected by the weight you are carrying (including the weight of your armor), rather than the ACP.

-Hyp.

PinGuim

First Post
You can also use a Mithril one, that allow +3 of dex to Ac, its is expensive, but its a beautiful armor. Can you imagine a full plate made in mithril? The Dwarves love this kind of armor.

coyote6

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
And yet, "Dwarven Plate" is made of adamantine...

You sure about that? My memory and the SRD both say that dwarven plate's description includes the line, "This full plate is made of mithral."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads