• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Question about moving and attacking

DiscRover55

First Post
Can I apply the moving and attacking mechanic as a Wizard casting an instant spell? In addition, can Wizards move into a position on top of an ally, cast an instant spell and then move out?

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
There are spells that have the duration "instantaneous", but I do not know one where the casting time is. What spell are you thinking of?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
They're not instant spells: they have a casting time of one action. These actions work like any other one:

On your turn, you can move and take and action (PHB p. 189), and you can break up your move if you want (PHB p. 190). If you move out, you risk an opportunity attack.

Hope this helps.

DiscRover55

First Post
They're not instant spells: they have a casting time of one action. These actions work like any other one:

On your turn, you can move and take and action (PHB p. 189), and you can break up your move if you want (PHB p. 190). If you move out, you risk an opportunity attack.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I know they have a casting time of 1 action. I mean instantaneous duration when I mean instant spells.

What I now want to know is if I can apply the move and attack to if I were to move into the position on top of an ally, cast and then move back out

Coredump

Explorer
Yes, I know they have a casting time of 1 action. I mean instantaneous duration when I mean instant spells.

What I now want to know is if I can apply the move and attack to if I were to move into the position on top of an ally, cast and then move back out

Still not sure what you are asking. But...

Any class can move up to its speed, and take an action, on the same turn. They are free to break up their movement however they want.

A 5th level fighter with Polearm master could
move 5'
attack action, attack once
move 10'
Bonus action, polearm master attack
move 5'
finish attack action, second attack
move 10'

A wizard could
move 10'
Bonus action cast spell (assuming bonus action casting time)
move 5'
Cast a Spell action (cantrip)
Move 15'

What you can't do, is stop in an occupied square to attack or cast spell.

S

Sunseeker

No. You can not take your action while you are in a space occupied by another character.

This is correct, and think of it this way: Two players in the same square is sort of like two objects attempting to exist in the same space at the same time, either the universe explodes or one of them is forced out to another location. You can't end your movement in another person's square and thus can't pause your movement to take an action.

Two players in the same square is sort of like two objects attempting to exist in the same space at the same time, either the universe explodes or one of them is forced out to another location.
Most medium characters are not a solid 5'x5' and I don't feel the rules text isn't so cut and dried.
Whether a creature is a friend or an enemy, you can't willingly end your move in its space.
It says you can't end you move, which I think could be argued is not the same as breaking it up.
You can break up your movement on your turn, using some of your speed before and after your action. For example, if you have a speed of 30 feet, you can move 10 feet, take your action, and then move 20 feet.

Also if one goes with the notion you can't do this, then it's really easy for folks to get utterly screwed out of their actions as allies already are difficult terrain.

The space of another creature, whether hostile or not, also counts as difficult terrain.

Initiative, punitive ready system and ally placement already make it hard to get thing done in 5E, saying players can't even attack in the same square as an ally will just exacerbate the problem.

Now saying, "Ok Morthos, you can climb on the barbarian's shoulders if Gunkdar spends his reaction to assist you, it will cost half your movement and you both will suffer disadvantage on attack rolls and Dex saves as long as you are up there, with attacks on both of you having advantage." Would be QUITE reasonable IMHO.

Remove ads