• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Rapid shot

DarkDagas84

First Post
So my Ranger player found a feat (archer mastery) and took rapid shot now i'm unsure how this works. it says:

At-Will • Martial
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon against each creature in or adjacent to a square within the attack's range. You take a -2 penalty to the attack rolls.

well she is using a Greatbow 25/50 range.

Range says:

Range: Some powers set a specific range (“Ranged
10”) or allow you to attack any target you can see.

my question is she shooting everything within 25+adjacent squares with this attack as long as she has LoS on them?

the Jester

Legend
Where is this alleged feat from and what does this read? What is the text you posted, is that Rapid Shot? Where's that from (IDHMBIFOM)?

Not enough info.

So my Ranger player found a feat (archer mastery) and took rapid shot now i'm unsure how this works. it says:

At-Will • Martial
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon against each creature in or adjacent to a square within the attack's range. You take a -2 penalty to the attack rolls.

well she is using a Greatbow 25/50 range.

Range says:

Range: Some powers set a specific range (“Ranged
10”) or allow you to attack any target you can see.

my question is she shooting everything within 25+adjacent squares with this attack as long as she has LoS on them?

I think it works like this:

There are three enemies next to each other; one who is exactly 50 squares away (the ranger picks the square this target is in), one who is 1 square closer, one who is 1 square further (o the third target is 51 squares away); there is also one who is 25 squares away on the other side. The ranger can shoot the first and second target, but the third is out of range and the fourth is not adjacent to the primary square.

It's a pretty strange way of writing the power, but the attack only works on targets adjacent to the initial target square.

DarkDagas84

First Post
the feat is from dragon magazine 402 (she found it in the character builder wizards has for dsi accounts) yes that is rapid shot its from the heros of the Feywild book dunno the page number off hand its a class feature of the expert archer.

Sebastianelgar

First Post
It acts like a burst, but does not have the advantages of a burst (doesn't ignore concealment, doesn't do extra damage to swarms, each target needs line of effect from the ranger, penalty for ranged attack against prone, etc..)

Breaks

First Post
There are definitely people that argue for the "I attack everything in range +1" reading, but I find that to be an intentionally abusive reading of the power. To be sure, it's strangely and poorly worded. It should read:

Range: Area Burst 1 within Weapon Range
Target: Each Creature in the Burst
Effect: You make a Ranged Basic Attack against each target with a -2 penalty.

That wording would have made the targeting clear while still making it clear that the attack itself is not a burst - merely the targeting is.

jester_gl

First Post
For several reason it cannot be simply as you just stated.
If a creature is 26 or 51 square away you apply the range penalty or cannot attack it at all.
If you hit multiple creature, you roll damage separately (with a burst attack it would be the same damage for all).
If you use special ammo, you could technically use different ammo against each.
Cover is calculated from the origin of a burst and concealment is ignored by burst, this is not the case with this power.
There are also no way to improve the burst size as written because it is not really a burst.

It does help to visualize it as a burst 1, but remember that the rules are different.

Breaks

First Post
Please note that nowhere in my suggested wording is a burst attack made. It follows an unchangeable burst 1 formation for targeting.

As for range, I disagree with you on its upper range limit. The power as currently written clearly states, "make a rba vs each creature in or adjacent to a square within range." per RAW and the specific beats general rule, a rapid shot centered at your max range would allow you to attack a creature at range+1, since it is in a square in or adjacent to your chosen square within range.

Both the way it's currently written and my suggested wording make it clear that for long range penalties, cover, and damage, each attack is handled as a separate RBA-2.

Remove ads