• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about spell duration

Ariddrake

First Post
This is going to make me sound really stupid. But if you cast a spell that has a 4 rnd duration does it work like this:

Rnd 1: Cast spell
Rnd 2: 4 rnds left
Rnd 3: 3 rnds left
Rnd 4: 2 rnds left
Rnd 5: Last rnd for spell effect
Rnd 6: no spell effect

I just need someone to confirm my belief. Thanks

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ariddrake said:
This is going to make me sound really stupid. But if you cast a spell that has a 4 rnd duration does it work like this:

Rnd 1: Cast spell
Rnd 2: 4 rnds left
Rnd 3: 3 rnds left
Rnd 4: 2 rnds left
Rnd 5: Last rnd for spell effect
Rnd 6: no spell effect

I just need someone to confirm my belief. Thanks

If you cast a spell with a duration of one round, it expires just before your next turn.

Similarly, when you cast a 4-round-duration spell:

R1: Cast spell, 4 rounds left.
R2: 3 rounds left.
R3: 2 rounds left.
R4: Last round.
R5: Spell expires just before your turn.

-Hyp.

frankthedm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
If you cast a spell with a duration of one round, it expires just before your next turn.

Similarly, when you cast a 4-round-duration spell:

R1: Cast spell, 4 rounds left.
R2: 3 rounds left.
R3: 2 rounds left.
R4: Last round.
R5: Spell expires just before your turn.
Yep! You benefit from a spell you cast as soon as you cast it. You finish up your turn while it is going, usually a move or a 5' adjustment and you action is over. The rest of that round's duration finishes up right before you act next.
Stunning Fist said:
A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action).
[sblock=This is why true strike's duration is now "see text"]
True Strike
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: See text

You gain temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during your next attack. Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target.

Focus: A small wooden replica of an archery target.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads