• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question concerning Mithril

Howdy all!

Quick question here. My friend and I are starting up a mid-level campaign (which we had going from level 1 but he'll be a PC now as opposed to DM). He is leary about the description of Mithril in the 3.5 SRD. He's unsure if mithril chainmail would be considered light armor for purposes of proficiency.

The relative description in the SRD follows. My question is if this was clarified anyplace. If not or if no one knows, a little support that the chainmail would be considered light for purposes of armor profiency would be welcome.

Thanks!

From the SRD:
Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0).

Droid101

First Post
My interpretation is that although it is treated as one catagory lighter, you still need proficiency in the normal classification. Chain is still chain, even if it weighs less and is less encumbering. I suppose this could be open to debate, and I'm sure it has been debated before. Just my opinion.

Enforcer

Explorer
I'd say it can be worn with only light armor proficiency. "one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations...medium armors are treated as light"

The language is pretty clear.

Lamoni

First Post
The Amazing Dingo said:
From the SRD:
Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations.
I believe that is as far as it is clarified. You just have to extrapolate or guess what it means by other limitations.

In my opinion, if it is lighter, doesn't restrict movement as much, and otherwise just acts like armor then you should be able to wear mithral chainmail with just light armor proficiency. That is just my opinion though and it is open for debate. Maybe the best support you could get is to look at sample characters by Wizards of the Coast in splat books or other supplemental material. Do they ever give mithral full plate to someone with only medium armor proficiency? Or a mithral medium armor to someone with only light armor proficiency? I don't have the time or resources here to look it up.

Sejs

First Post
Enforcer said:
I'd say it can be worn with only light armor proficiency. "one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations...medium armors are treated as light"

The language is pretty clear.

The "..." jump there containing the text "(for example, whether a barbarian can use her fast movement ability while wearing the armor or not) heavy armors are treated as medium, and". The problem there being that the text makes mention of an ability that is restricted to certain categories of armor such as fast movement, evasion, etc. It makes no mention one way or the other as to proficiency, and as such is open to interpretation in either way.

Personally, the way I run it, armor made of mithral still requires the original proficiency of the base armor, but is treated as one category lighter for purposes of movement and other armor-category restricted abilities. If you don't have the appropriate proficiency, you still take the (lowered by mithral) ACP to all movement-related actions, as per standard. Different categories of armor require that you learn to move your body in different ways to compensate, not just for the weight, but also for the restriction in how you can maneuver due to the armor getting in the way of things. Even if the armor is made of a lighter metal like mithral, the same components are present and still limit your range of motion like they normally would.

Scharlata

First Post
Sejs said:
Personally, the way I run it, armor made of mithral still requires the original proficiency of the base armor, but is treated as one category lighter for purposes of movement and other armor-category restricted abilities. If you don't have the appropriate proficiency, you still take the (lowered by mithral) ACP to all movement-related actions, as per standard. Different categories of armor require that you learn to move your body in different ways to compensate, not just for the weight, but also for the restriction in how you can maneuver due to the armor getting in the way of things. Even if the armor is made of a lighter metal like mithral, the same components are present and still limit your range of motion like they normally would.

I support Sejs. :)
Seems to be intended that way. You must have the proficiency with that kind of armor (light/medium/heavy) and the weight and encumbrance is less than for a normal item of that kind. If I was talking about a magical property of an armor that would reduce the weight and encumbrance of it, I would say the same.

Kind regards

Lawmage

First Post
Sejs said: Personally, the way I run it, armor made of mithral still requires the original proficiency of the base armor, but is treated as one category lighter for purposes of movement and other armor-category restricted abilities.

Yeah, I would have to go with that as well. While not specifically explained (nor does it really need to be for game purposes) the various armor proficiencies represent any number of things. One needs to know how to properly don armor, how to arrange it, and, believe it our not, one needs to know how to use that armor to protect oneself. The AC provided is a measure of these things and the break down in armor type proficiencies is a way to work that into the game without a bunch of complicated rules.

I do some re-enactment stuff using medieval arms and armor. While it is also dangerous to try and relate real world life to the game mechanics, in this case it can help. Different types of armor protect differently based on the structure of the armor. THere are gaps or vulnerabilities with eadch type. Just as one must learn how to use a weapon to exploit those vulnerabilities, one must also learn how to wear the armor so as to guard or compensate for those vulnerabilites. A character without proficiency in that armor type could be assumed to lack the knowledge or training to protect those vulnerabilities. Just because the armor is lighter than normal does not change the type of armor it is....

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I also agree with Sejs.

A mithril breastplate is medium armor, so it requires Medium Armor Proficiency. But it does not penalize the wearer's speed, can be worn overnight without causing fatigue, is easier to don/remove, can be worn by bards (who have the proficiency) without causing ASF, allows barbarians/rangers to do their thing without hindrance, etc. etc.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Right, just because the armor is lighter in weight doesn't mean the character suddenly understands how to don, work the straps, and know where all the pieces fit and go, on the body. You still need the AP.

irdeggman

First Post
True enough it would appear that the proficiency type is not lowered by making an armor out of mithral. But what does this really mean? Anyone can wear any style of armor as long as they take the penalties associated with it.

Mitral makes an armor one type lighter for purposes of class style abilities (as pointed out with the barbarians movement - and also the bards ability to cast spells). Mitral also reduces armor check penalties by 3, arcane spell failure chance by 10% and increaes the mas Dex bonus by 2. In the long run I believe that this essentially eliminates the penalties associated with wearing a heavy armor made out of mithral (basically reducing it to a medium armor). I could be wrong since I didn't run the numbers, but it looks real close.

And if the armor is masterwork quality (most likely with mithral) furhter reduces the armor check penalties by 1.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads