• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Questions about Haste/Shield Master/Booming Blade

the_move

First Post
Hi!

I had an idea about creating an eldritch knight for a D&D (5E) campaign and I have a question regarding certain mechanics.

I would endow him with Shield Master and Booming Blade. Now if he would be granted haste, either by himself or by a party member...

1. Is it possible to access the bonus action shove (Shield Master) through the additional attack action granted by haste?
2. Is the Booming Blade aftereffect also being triggered when the affected creature is standing up? (it is movement, isn't it)
3. Am I allowed to put the chronological order of actions like shove, attack (Haste), Booming Blade?

Thanks for your help...

Last edited:

RSIxidor

Adventurer
1. Is it possible to access the bonus action shove (Shield Master) through the additional attack action granted by haste?
2. Is the Booming Blade aftereffect also being triggered when the affected creature is standing up? (it is movement, isn't it)
3. Am I allowed to put the chronological order of actions like shove, attack (Haste), Booming Blade?

1. Yes. The action granted by Haste is in fact the attack action, though it can only be a single weapon attack.
2. Do you mean standing from prone? I think you're going to find this ruling will very much vary by DM. Keep in mind, you can also use the push 5 feet option of shove. If it's a melee character you shove, then coming back to fight you would trigger BB, even after being shoved away. I'm actually of the opinion that this would not be moving. PHB page 190 talks about standing from prone and moving while prone, separating the two.
3. Possibly yes but depending on DM. Some will likely say you must take the Attack action first to fulfill the Shield Master BA requirement. Some will let it fly as long as you are then "locked in" to the Attack action (meaning, if something happens that prevents you from attacking, you're still taking that action). I'm personally in the second camp, due to the rule for moving between attacks. I think of the attack action as saying "you get to make X attacks at some point during your turn," so I'd actually say you're taking the attack action first, then using your bonus action, then using the effect of your bonus action, then using the effect of your attack action (if that makes any sense).

In short, talk to your DM, I don't think RAW covers it fully.

Arvin Natsuko

First Post
Hi!

I had an idea about creating an eldritch knight for a D&D (5E) campaign and I have a question regarding certain mechanics.

I would endow him with Shield Master and Booming Blade. Now if he would be granted haste, either by himself or by a party member...

Thanks for your help...

1. Yes.
2. No. According to JC, standing up from prone does not trigger booming blade: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/09/booming-blade-stand-up/
3. I belive so, since the action granted by the spell is an Attack action, with trigger the possibility of shove as bonus action, and than you can use your action to cast Booming Blade.

Also its good to notice that to trigger Shield Master's bonus action shove you have to use the Attack action, not the Cast a Spell action that Booming Blade uses. So you can only use that combo with Haste or maybe Action Surge.

Regards,

Arvin

the_move

First Post
Is it allowed to enter the square of a proned enemy?
If I use my shield as an improvised weapon via Tavern Brawler can I bestow it with the eldritch knight's Weapon Bond.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
You do not need shield master to shove someone prone. It simply takes 1 attack of your attack action.
Shield Master just allows you to do it as a bonus action (along with the other bonuses).

And yes, you can shove first, swing second.

I would allow you to bond with a shield if you took tavern brawler. Though your DM may choose differently.

Remove ads