Level Up (A5E) Questions on Chimera and Prestige

Ben Weaver

Villager
My group has been having fun playing Level Up and the Memories / To Save a Kingdom campaign.

I have a few questions:
1) Chimera - I was surprised to see it has no multi-attack like the lower CR 5e version. Is this an oversight or as intended? Note - it certainly makes it more manageable for a level 3 group, but reviewing some other CR7 creatures I see they do have multi-attack (Dread Troll, Cyclops, Shield Guardian, Giant Ape).

2) Prestige - Players start at Prestige 1. I am planning to use and award prestige to the group. How do you all handle someone with a Folk Hero background? It sounds like it starts at Prestige Level 5.

For reference this is the line in Folk Hero - Feature: Local Fame. Unless you conceal your identity, you’re universally recognized and admired near the site of your exploits. You and your companions are treated to a moderate lifestyle in any settlement within 100 miles of your Prestige Center.

Thank you for any input!
Ben Weaver

xiphumor

Legend
My group has been having fun playing Level Up and the Memories / To Save a Kingdom campaign.

I have a few questions:
1) Chimera - I was surprised to see it has no multi-attack like the lower CR 5e version. Is this an oversight or as intended? Note - it certainly makes it more manageable for a level 3 group, but reviewing some other CR7 creatures I see they do have multi-attack (Dread Troll, Cyclops, Shield Guardian, Giant Ape).

2) Prestige - Players start at Prestige 1. I am planning to use and award prestige to the group. How do you all handle someone with a Folk Hero background? It sounds like it starts at Prestige Level 5.

For reference this is the line in Folk Hero - Feature: Local Fame. Unless you conceal your identity, you’re universally recognized and admired near the site of your exploits. You and your companions are treated to a moderate lifestyle in any settlement within 100 miles of your Prestige Center.

Thank you for any input!
Ben Weaver
One possible way to handle the Folk Hero is actually to give them a Prestige of 5 but then don’t increase it until the group average catches up.

Selganor

Adventurer
Regarding the Chimera. The A5E Chimera is a Legendary monster with 2 legendary actions/round. So instead of just attacking 3 times during a turn it attacks once and on two times after that, meaning that if only one character is close to it this poor guy may be downed three times in one round with the chimera taking another legendary action after each turn when he is brought back to positive hp (each new time at 0 hp also adding another level of fatigue).
Granted, additional attacks against a downed target are deadlier, but maybe the cat part of the dragon head likes to play with their prey, giving it the hope of a chance to escape.
Also... the A5E has 3 reactions/round (but only 1/turn) unlike the O5E one and unless the players (or characters) know that the Tail Swipe or Winged Charge can only be used once per day the party may be a bit more cautious if they expect these to happen more than 1/combat.

The wording on the Folk Hero is a bit odd since it puts a precise number on the "range" where your background can sustain you (and your party) unlike most of the other backgrounds that just give you some "talent" to earn enough money/forage food to live without having to think about how much to spend between adventures/during longer travels.

But since the example for Prestige is a Folk Hero (pregen character) with the "expected" Prestige of 5, the above idea sounds fine.
Narrators may want to go through the Backgrounds (or backstories) of the PCs to see if they are unknown entities or maybe somewhat famous, too (especially for characters starting at higher levels because the automatic gains wouldn't account for the mentioned times "when they accomplish great deeds during play" they probably would have had if the characters where played from level 1.

As for the other Backgrounds from the AG...
I try to compile them in a pattern of:
Name: What you can get from this Background (Why getting this may not work)
  • Acolyte: Moderate lifestyle for self and group from members of your faith in exchange for religious duties. (Problems if being part of a small/unknown/new religion without too many followers)
  • Artisan: Have access to a workshop "to ply your trade". Can get higher prices for crafted items but still no sure sales. (Problems if there's missing demand for certain trades)
  • Charlatan: No sure "income" but lots of almost completed paperwork to swindle people into believing you to be something you aren't. (Problems if someone notices that everything is fake)
  • Criminal: No sure income but access to secret communication that might give you hints where/how to earn money by less than legal means (Problems with the usual illegal stuff)
  • Cultist: No income but knowledge where specific magical/divine knowledge may be found (No problems, just no money)
  • Entertainer: Up to moderate lifestyle for you and your group if you can perform in a settlement (Problems if they don't like you or in places where you can't perform)
  • Farmer: No income but you know how to transport more Supply (Problems if you don't have Supply)
  • Folk Hero: Moderate income for you and group if within 100 miles of your Prestige Center (Problems if outside that area since nobody knows you there)
  • Gambler: Poor to rich lifestyle for you, most of the times moderate lifestyle (Problems if nobody is there to gamble with you and you only support yourself and not your group)
  • Guard: No income but probably as respected as the local guards are (Problems if people don't like the local guards and think you belong to them)
  • Guild Member: Moderate lifestyle for yourself (Problems if the guild orders you to do some specific jobs that may use downtime or even an adventure)
  • Hermit: No income (Problems may arise if the voice only you are hearing is leading you to "interesting times")
  • Marauder: No income, just good at traveling unnoticed (Problems with being a (former?) member of an outlaw band)
  • Noble: Rich lifestyle for you (and well-behaved group) provided by other nobles (Problems may be depending on the other nobles and what they expect - or plan - in return)
  • Outlander: Moderate lifestyle for you and group if you can trade your hunted/gathered stuff with someone. (Problems if hunt/gather/trade is not possible/allowed)
  • Sage: No income but find answers in/have access to libraries (Problems if you can't monetize this information)
  • Sailor: No income but can gather information about nautical stuff easy (Problems if nowhere near sea travel)
  • Soldier: No income but have an easy time getting information from other military
  • Trader: No sure income but better rates to sell things that aren't local (Problem if you don't have anything to trade)
  • Urchin: Poor lifestyle for self and group. (Problem if you don't like living from scraps and refuse)
Counting, there are 8/20 backgrounds that provide you with a more or less sure lifestyle in certain circumstances, the others usually give you something that you can use to make money. Funny, I thought that there were more of them.

Last edited:

Ben Weaver

Villager
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I can't believe I missed the legendary part of the Chimera (did not look at the next page).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Technically, as written the Folk Hero's ability works entirely separately from Prestige, despite the similarity in wording. That said, I don't think it would break anything to give them 5 Prestige. Though they'll eventually catch up to that and overtake it (it's not plus 5 Prestige), it's a decent starting score.

Remove ads