• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

questions on spellthiefs

xnrdcorex

First Post
if my spellthief(compete adventurer base class) has a sneak attack of +3d6 does he get to steal 3 spells, or just 1 per round. it says he can replace 1d6 of damage and steal a spell.

also if he cannot steal 1 spell per extra d6 of his sneak attack can he replace each d6 for a diff ability
example can my spellthief steal aspell with 1d6 steal an energy resistance with another and aspell like ability with his 3rd d6?

this question was borught up and there was quite a bit of argueing over it at the game table...

Scharlata

First Post
Hi!

xnrdcorex said:
if my spellthief(compete adventurer base class) has a sneak attack of +3d6 does he get to steal 3 spells, or just 1 per round. it says he can replace 1d6 of damage and steal a spell.
I'd read the corresponding text as "one spell per sneak attack".

xnrdcorex said:
also if he cannot steal 1 spell per extra d6 of his sneak attack can he replace each d6 for a diff ability
example can my spellthief steal aspell with 1d6 steal an energy resistance with another and aspell like ability with his 3rd d6?
For the sake of game balance, as a DM, I'd rule that only one of the five options (steal spell, steal spell effect, steal energy resistance, steal spell-like ability, and steal spell resistance) may be used in combination with one sneak attack.
Note that if your spell-thief has more than one attack per round and all attacks are successful sneak attacks, then the spell-thief could choose one option per hit that deals damage.

Kind regards

Remove ads