• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Quick!] Need help, what is the max distance one falls in a round?

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Hypersmurf said:
Constructive response.

Now it wasn't. I was being sarcastic. The post I was responding to was hardly constructive either, since I was told, basically, to shut up. And then there was the uncharitable assumption that I was attempting to dictate "the way it is" rather than just making what might possibly be a cogent observation.

And then there was also the inane appeal to the authority of an argument from silence (i.e., the spell doesn't say X occurs; therefore, X does not occur).

Within those parameters, this situation is just as reasonable:

Dimension door doesn't say that a character's wounds are conserved during the magical movement provided by the spell. Therefore, a character who dimension doors arrives at his new location completely healed.

So, just to be clear, I'm not saying I'm right. I'm not saying what I said is in anyway authoritative or definitive. It was just an observation.

Disagree if you want (which, for example, you did a wonderful job of doing), but please stay off the high horse (which, for example, you did a wonderful job of doing).

Last edited:

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
drnuncheon said:

The description of dimension door in the Player's Handbook does not say anything about preservation of momentum.

J
Exactly, the PHB does not say that it cancels out pre-port velocity, so you go SPLAT. Of course, you are welcome to House Rule that the spell zero's out your speed, but that should be in a separate forum (and probably a 5th level spell).

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Olgar Shiverstone said:

Since momentum is a vector quantity, you'd have to define what the frame of reference is to make teleport manageable.
Or you could just use common sense. If you are moving 100ft/second before you port, why wouldn't you be moving 100ft/second after you port?

Angcuru

First Post
RedSwan78 said:
Well, the short of it is, I'm playing a Blink Dog :D

Blink Dogs can use Dimension Door as if cast by an 8th lvl sorc, so that's 720ft. So, I could Dimension Door myself straight up in the air 720. Now, Blink Dogs can act immediatly after using Dimension Door, unlike if it was cast by a normal person. I'm going to be picking up......

AN ENEMY CREATURE, Dimension Dooring 720 feet up, letting go, and Dimension Dooring back to the ground immediately. Think Nightcrawler. Gravity-generated death is your friend...when it happens to someone else, that is....:D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Disagree if you want (which, for example, you did a wonderful job of doing), but please stay off the high horse (which, for example, you did a wonderful job of doing).

In the absence of smileys, I'm not sure whether there's sarcasm going on here again :)

-Hyp.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Hypersmurf said:
In the absence of smileys, I'm not sure whether there's sarcasm going on here again :)

No sarcasm at all. I have no problems with being disagreed with (at least in most cases; there are exceptions, such as if I tell one of my students to do his work and the student disagrees).

There are, however, two things that burn my butt:

1. Posters who run around deluded into thinking they are moderators and therefore have the authority to tell other posters what to not post.

2. A lit candle about three feet high.

:D

kramis

First Post
wow, another nutty thread

Love these nutty threads.

how about no way of doing it is a house rule ... it's all just interpreations and doesn't really matter as long as the DM feels like dealing with it.

It's magic, no way makes more sense than any other. And there is no can of worms to open ... using arbitrary physics is as fine as using none or all. It's magic.

It would be far more constructive (assuming anyone cares about being constructive on the boards anymore) to talk about what people do in their campaigns, what problems it's given rise to you, and to maybe ask for ideas and advice on how to deal with various complications.

I like the rule of dimension door maintaining momentum. It's seems cool and easy enough to handle. It's pointless to come up with the "what about teleporting to the other side of the world" argument. That's a level of complication that seems unecessary to me, however I see no problem is someone really wanted to take the trouble to deal with things, just seems way too complicated to be worth it to me. But that's up to the DM. And there is no reason any version belongs more in the House Rules forum then any other discussion. That's just stupid.

I can even see ruling that normal teleport conserves momentum to a limited degree, while teleport without error allows you to cancel it out at will. Or maybe allow teleport itself to cancel momentum, but lower spells like dimension door to preserve. Seems like it could add an interesting dimension to my campaign, and make for some fun tactics (bad guy charges Willy with a lance, George has readied his action and intercepts bad guy right before he hits Willy and dimen doors them right in front of bad guy's friend).

If it's fun and enhances the campaign and doesn't get out of hand and I don't mind the extra work as DM then it's probably a good idea.

Lela

First Post
I think that kramis just did a wonderful job of showing how the PCs can use either way to their advantage. Based on that, uping the spell level looses some of it's weight.

Personally, I think that using real world phyics with D&D is a headache. If you love physics, then I guess go for it. But for the rest of us, it's magic; it just doesn't work the same (Wizards understand it and maybe Clerics but we don't have too).

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Mark Chance said:

The post I was responding to was hardly constructive either, since I was told, basically, to shut up.
Not quite. You were told that, when presenting a house rule, you should label it as such. Many readers of this forum have less than 100% familiarity with the rulebooks, so in order to avoid causing confusion, we try to label interpretations that don't follow directly from the text.

You really have no call to get snarky and sarcastic.

And then there was the uncharitable assumption that I was attempting to dictate "the way it is" rather than just making what might possibly be a cogent observation.
You did not present that post as your opinion. You stated that DD does preserve momentum, full stop. If you had said "this is how my game works" or "this is how I think it should be," that would be one thing, but you didn't.

And then there was also the inane appeal to the authority of an argument from silence (i.e., the spell doesn't say X occurs; therefore, X does not occur).
You're making the wrong assumption here. "Argument from silence" is not a fallacy in this situation, because real-world physics is assumed to be inapplicable to magical effects.

(If a paltry teleport of a few hundred miles will suddenly subject the caster to air resistance and Coriolis forces, I really wouldn't want to play a mage in your game.)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
AuraSeer said:
You did not present that post as your opinion. You stated that DD does preserve momentum, full stop. If you had said "this is how my game works" or "this is how I think it should be," that would be one thing, but you didn't.

:rolleyes:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads